Adding lights to a Command Pod/Cockpit?

On 1/11/2018 at 2:19 PM, swjr-swis said:

Hmm, I just noticed a message at game load saying it can't find a texture... without specifying what texture it is trying to find. The model loads properly, the lights toggle on and off (even with my icky glow texture)... which means it loads both the part texture and the emissive one I made. Anyone know why it complains, or how I can figure out what other texture it is trying to find?

Never mind, I already found the error: Blender (read: me fumbling about in Blender) added a third but empty texture entry into the model - due to it being empty, it doesn't show it's there unless you happen to click in the empty space below the second texture. Once deleted and re-exported, KSP no longer complains.

About this; I noticed the Mk1 Cockpit has an odd "sheen" now, is that because of this invisible texture layer? I've downloaded Blender, but I'm afraid I'm even worse at it than you lol. I wasn't able to find or delete said texture after loading the source model. Could you explain in more detail how exactly I would do that on my end?

I've had some time to actually work on it today, and the emissive texture is just about done.

Here's a WIP shot if anyone is interested: I'm debating about adding some red detail lights like some of the other cockpits have.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

Any and all feedback/criticism greatly appreciated. Also, I added a "PROTOTYPE" tag to the regular texture, what do you guys think? Looks good, or is it too much?

54999F35955EEE485457546101FB1BC23C1D5468

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

1 hour ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Any and all feedback/criticism greatly appreciated. Also, I added a "PROTOTYPE" tag to the regular texture, what do you guys think? Looks good, or is it too much?

IMO I do like the Prototype text. I would make it maybe a bit smaller to actually line up with the Mk-1 text, but apart from that, it doesn't look out of place or anything. As for the lights, I would maybe reduce the width of the orange border a bit, make the corners a little less sharp, and the orange color a bit less intense, but that you can decide to do to preference. Looks good otherwise.

Also, is it just me or do you have some post processing thing that adds vignetting to your screenshots?

44 minutes ago, qzgy said:

IMO I do like the Prototype text. I would make it maybe a bit smaller to actually line up with the Mk-1 text, but apart from that, it doesn't look out of place or anything. As for the lights, I would maybe reduce the width of the orange border a bit, make the corners a little less sharp, and the orange color a bit less intense, but that you can decide to do to preference. Looks good otherwise.

Also, is it just me or do you have some post processing thing that adds vignetting to your screenshots?

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. :)

Do you mean make it "shorter" as in not longer than the "Mk1" decal? I was worried it would be too squished, but I'll certainly give it a try. Yeah, I don't have Photoshop on this comp so I'm stuck with GIMP/Paint.net so the "gradient" tool isn't exactly doing what I want it too, but it'll work for now. Thanks for the compliment also! I only dabble in this sort of thing, so it's nice to hear it's not completely hideous. :D (Matching the color of the other cockpit lights has been a bit of a challenge, because the Mk1 is so "blue" by default, and the module I'm using for the lights is basically just a "color changer animation" ...at least that's my understanding of it.)

You are half correct about the post-processing; but it's added to the game itself, not just the screenshots.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.