Manual Physics Range Edit

Hi again.  This time I have a question pertaining to the stock physics range.  Much of the time, I use BDArmory and use ground-based vessels.  Can I edit the load range of the ground to allow any landed vessel not to 'fall' if loaded using a mod such as Physics Range Extender?  I just don't want my ground systems to be limited by the 10 km limit.  Can I also manually input the vessel load range to the game instead of using PRE?

Thanks for anything.

19 minutes ago, GKSP said:

Thanks for anything.

Tere is this section in "Physics.cfg"

VesselRanges
{
	prelaunch
	{
		load = 2250
		unload = 2500
		pack = 350
		unpack = 200
	}
	landed
	{
		load = 2250
		unload = 2500
		pack = 350
		unpack = 200
	}
	splashed
	{
		load = 2250
		unload = 2500
		pack = 350
		unpack = 200
	}
	flying
	{
		load = 2250
		unload = 22500
		pack = 25000
		unpack = 2000
	}
	orbit
	{
		load = 2250
		unload = 2500
		pack = 350
		unpack = 200
	}
	subOrbital
	{
		load = 2250
		unload = 15000
		pack = 10000
		unpack = 200
	}
	escaping
	{
		load = 2250
		unload = 2500
		pack = 350
		unpack = 200
	}
}

I had never experimented with this so i don't know what consequences are.You can edit this manually or write MM patch.

@PHYSICSGLOBALS
{
@VesselRanges
{
@stuff{}
}
}

3 hours ago, GKSP said:

Thanks for the info both of you guys.  Next opportunity I can, I will try to check these out for myself.  Gonna play it safe though and use a copy of my KSP files.

No, as suggested use 

Almost sure you already have it, since is a dependency to, and blunded with, a lot of mods.

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Can MM even edit files outside of the GameData folder??? Last I checked, it can’t so OP would have to edit the source physics file, unfortunately 

Well, I'm too lazy to check out if MM can do it. So I'll instead just assume you are correct (at least until I have a good enough reason to test it). 

As a result: thank you for the correction.

On 16.1.2018 at 6:19 AM, Galileo said:

Can MM even edit files outside of the GameData folder??? Last I checked, it can’t, so OP would have to edit the source physics file, unfortunately 

On 16.1.2018 at 8:21 AM, Spricigo said:

Well, I'm too lazy to check out if MM can do it. So I'll instead just assume you are correct (at least until I have a good enough reason to test it). 

As a result: thank you for the correction.

Module Manager does not edit files. It overwrites already-loaded values in the game at runtime.

So the question is not "can Module Manager work with files outside of GameData", but rather: "Can KSP load config files outside of Gamedata?"

Usually, the answer is no. But there are a small number of hardcoded config files outside GameData that KSP always loads. Physics.cfg is one of them. How else would the game find its own physics settings? :P

And after the game has loaded that file, the values from within that file are just as easily modified by Module Manager as loaded values from any other config file!

6 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Module Manager does not edit files. It overwrites already-loaded values in the game at runtime.

So the question is not "can Module Manager work with files outside of GameData", but rather: "Can KSP load config files outside of Gamedata?"

Usually, the answer is no. But there are a small number of hardcoded config files outside GameData that KSP always loads. Physics.cfg is one of them. How else would the game find its own physics settings? :P

And after the game has loaded that file, the values from within that file are just as easily modified by Module Manager as loaded values from any other config file!

Sure, if you want to get technical, but I think we know what I meant.. making changes to a cfg outside of the GameData at runtime, which module manager cannot. And even if I’m just “overwriting” values at runtime, I think that can be defined as an “edit” no? 

Regardless, you would need to run MM again in game, which many don’t know how to do, and can cause issues last I heard, so to edit the physics cfg directly I’d say is still the best way to go about it. To revert you would just need to remove the cfg and let KSP rebuild it at run time

Just confirming what sebi.zzr said, Module Manger since 2.6.3 (early 2015) does override the values in physics.cfg, and MM does not need to be re-run in-game unless you want to change your overrides mid-game, so it is the most convenient way to have personalized changes.  I use that method to keep first-stages in-game flying under parachute,  @flying { @unload = 250000 @pack = 260000 }}}, so I can recover first stages.

It would seem that Physics Range Extender could be completely replaced by a MM patch, and this was suggested (link) but people say some (unspecified) thing with another mod BD Armory does not work as expected with the MM patch.

10 hours ago, Galileo said:

Sure, if you want to get technical, but I think we know what I meant.. making changes to a cfg outside of the GameData at runtime, which module manager cannot.

Yes, I understood that. And I assure you, it works :)

Source: my own installs, where I have done this in some form more than once. For example, editing reentry heat and mach effects behavior when using system rescales, and the like.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.