Help with Buran Style shuttle

19 minutes ago, Jack5.exe said:

K that worked, I actually got to booster separation that time... But I lost control, flipped around and reverted

How high was booster sep? You may need to lower SRB thrust to get a bit higher before separation.

Set the fuel priority drain order on the core to drain the lower tanks before the higher ones. This will push the CoM forward as the tanks drain, aiding passive aero stability and minimizing cosine losses.

And this probably goes w/o saying, but are you testing CoM/CoT alignment post-sep? By that, I mean pulling off the SRBs, draining about half the tank fuel, and ensuring good alignment, then getting launch thrust alignment fixed.

13 minutes ago, Atkara said:

I take it you're doing this as an exercise -otherwise, put it in a fairing and do a traditional launch. It's small enough.

Putting a plane in a fairing as a lifter is like putting a small cargo bay in a big one, just stupid

25 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

How high was booster sep

Edited by Jack5.exe

16 minutes ago, Jack5.exe said:
33 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

How high was booster sep? You may need to lower SRB thrust to get a bit higher before separation.

Def lower the SRB thrust a touch, if you can. What's your takeoff TWR?

If you place Thuds separately, you can use an action group at staging to cut one and realign thrust.

22 minutes ago, Jack5.exe said:
23 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Def lower the SRB thrust a touch, if you can. What's your takeoff TWR?

If you place Thuds separately, you can use an action group at staging to cut one and realign thrust.

Whoa! Yeah, definitely cut those SRBs way down. And you can absolutely afford lower thrust on the core, so replacing one Vector with a Thud or two is a really good idea.

1 minute ago, Jack5.exe said:

People have opinions, stop trying to force me to use this

I expressed my opinion, you responded the way you did and I brought a real life example. I didn't try to "force you" to do anything.

Anyway, to launch a space shuttle like Buran did, you need to also take a look at the launch vehicle:

76170_900.jpg

Energia didn't have 4 side boosters for fun and they weren't arranged like that for the looks. They were counteracting the torque, produced by having a shuttle on the launcher's back. Differential thrust, gimbals, even ballasts were used AFAIK. Buran's engines wouldn't fire at launch -they weren't powerful enough to make any difference but also, they didn't have to.

11 minutes ago, Atkara said:

I expressed my opinion, you responded the way you did and I brought a real life example. I didn't try to "force you" to do anything.

Anyway, to launch a space shuttle like Buran did, you need to also take a look at the launch vehicle:

76170_900.jpg

Energia didn't have 4 side boosters for fun and they weren't arranged like that for the looks. They were counteracting the torque, produced by having a shuttle on the launcher's back. Differential thrust, gimbals, even ballasts were used AFAIK. Buran's engines wouldn't fire at launch -they weren't powerful enough to make any difference but also, they didn't have to.

I tried adding 2 SRBS earlier, flips at launch

Also i removed the vector, even with the SRB at 100% still wont launch, I'm keeping it

5 minutes ago, Jack5.exe said:

Before putting the thing on the pad, you need to play around with their thrust limiters, in order for your Center of Thrust to match your Center of Mass. Post-launch, fuel is being consumed and as a result, the CoM moves. This means you also have to make in-flight adjustments on the thrust limiters. This is why SRBs won't cut it -you need to go LOX. 

In short, it's a management nightmare -at least for me. Yes, I tried a Buran-Energia-like design once and I did get it into orbit. Haven't used it eversince though, as I moved to SSTOs.

15 minutes ago, Atkara said:

Before putting the thing on the pad, you need to play around with their thrust limiters, in order for your Center of Thrust to match your Center of Mass. Post-launch, fuel is being consumed and as a result, the CoM moves. This means you also have to make in-flight adjustments on the thrust limiters. This is why SRBs won't cut it -you need to go LOX. 

In short, it's a management nightmare -at least for me. Yes, I tried a Buran-Energia-like design once and I did get it into orbit. Haven't used it eversince though, as I moved to SSTOs.

I had never launched a true STS clone until a few weeks ago, but I had a lot of experience, so I got it on the first try:

Want to try a Buran clone soon.

48 minutes ago, Jack5.exe said:

Also i removed the vector, even with the SRB at 100% still wont launch, I'm keeping it

One Vector has the launch thrust of 8.7 Thuds. Something to keep in mind.

its a balance issue so heres a dirty way to fix it. its still not perfect and starts to wobble a bit once out of the atmosphere but it makes it to space and will let you play with it.

okay the shuttle weighs almost 7 ton, so we take a fuel tank or 2 and we make it the same weight on the other side, right click the extra tank and turn off the fuel. we will use that fuel later.

i added a tail fin for flight stability, and 2 reaction wheels. (pic 3)

4EFC74CAE5F8BDFEBE905B0903CD52A7A9BA9E44

EAF6E9641C31FD3F08FF8EADF6225CFF6ED33C8D

B5990E1CD5D444C027CDC6675BCA101B7D849D77

------------------------------------------------------------

since we are professionals we can just fly 45 degrees from the start :P

CE07DF9F8B4C2CC1D43C541502F5BD6A0634D78F

TALLY HO!

A7AE43C84E7E48479C0939A102C24A10C3771DD5

we can now turn the fuel to the tanks back on and shoot for orbit

100076F7331FF31AF71B7E0F95765DA0A10D90A0

main tanks drained and decoupled, shuttle on its own fuel. (mono)

85DF210134457926A1D6E45EABB862FC169454E6

now its time to land.

FCC9FDBAFA1C3444EE1FC9AC7530009F06A951B5

677C209244B9FAFAE0D9629DA2A01FA42FC5471F

5736CE5DAEDADE66C24F298CBD1892B30C726DE9

4 minutes ago, invision said:

its a balance issue so heres a dirty way to fix it. its still not perfect and starts to wobble a bit once out of the atmosphere but it makes it to space and will let you play with it.

okay the shuttle weighs almost 7 ton, so we take a fuel tank or 2 and we make it the same weight on the other side, right click the extra tank and turn off the fuel. we will use that fuel later.

i added a tail fin for flight stability, and 2 reaction wheels. (pic 3)

That vevolver replica is scarily acurate

Just now, Jack5.exe said:

Do I turn off the top tank too?

turn off only the tanks on the back added for balance, the main rocket remains untouched. 

once in space you can enable the use of them. use low thrust as balance is still awkward and you should be okay.

if you turn on the mono engines on the shuttle and go for orbit it seems to fix the stability issue and you can go full speed.

167DEDBC11D794B9990B2AB279CB3038B5C416A0

10 minutes ago, invision said:

turn off only the tanks on the back added for balance, the main rocket remains untouched. 

once in space you can enable the use of them. use low thrust as balance is still awkward and you should be okay.

Payload test seems good, mechjeb didn't circularize so I'm doing it again, it seems pretty good!

OK MECHJAB BE'N RETARDED DADDY JACK TAK'N OVR.... sorry lol

Got it into orbit! Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.