KSP 1.4.1 Cargo Bays, Shielding, and Drag. Is it broken?

As the title states, I am using a mechanics bay to shield some science instruments. I've also used a regular cargo bay from 1.25 and the mk2 line for planes. The items contained within them, when aero debugging is turned on, are not listed as shielded, and as expected for random objects hitting the atmosphere at mach x, the drag is insane. Anyone else experienced this? Its killing my plane game.

MK2 parts are pretty, but have high drag. There is also a bug in the MK2 cargo bay itself -- it  has less drag when the doors are wide open.

Having parts be shielded inside a cargo bay or service bay can be a little tricky. It's best if you turn on the "Aero data in action menus" and look at the drag values, rather than the "Shielded" state. "Shielded" can lie, but the drag values are always correct.

Other than that, we probably need a picture. You can upload one to imgur or another image hosting site, and then paste the URL here for us to look at.

On 3/15/2018 at 9:15 PM, bewing said:

MK2 parts are pretty, but have high drag. There is also a bug in the MK2 cargo bay itself -- it  has less drag when the doors are wide open.

Having parts be shielded inside a cargo bay or service bay can be a little tricky. It's best if you turn on the "Aero data in action menus" and look at the drag values, rather than the "Shielded" state. "Shielded" can lie, but the drag values are always correct.

Other than that, we probably need a picture. You can upload one to imgur or another image hosting site, and then paste the URL here for us to look at.

Yeah I've noticed this, its the sole reason I stopped using those silly parts. As a part of this reply I quoted @blakemw his solution fixed most of my issue. The other answer, unfortunately, was to quit using the other parts altogether. Appreciate your time :)

On 3/15/2018 at 7:28 PM, The Dunatian said:

I've not seen this. Are you using any mods?

Yeah, I was using a whole mess of part mods, nothing atmospheric though. The parts causing the issues were stock ksp parts (edit: and one other mod), with as far as I know not edited by an outside config file. Appreciate the reply :)

On 3/16/2018 at 8:42 AM, blakemw said:

I have seen this. Sometimes offsetting parts a little so they no longer touch the front/back wall of the cargo bay can convince the game they really are in the cargo bay. 

This was most of the problem. The stock parts I could coax into getting 0 drag. However the Kraken Science mod parts seemed to love dragging no matter what I did. Thanks for the reply :)

Edited by MadArkael

4 hours ago, MadArkael said:

However the Kraken Science mod parts seemed to love dragging no matter what I did.

Yeah, some mod parts basically have malformed drag boxes and the physics model thinks they are way huger than they actually are. This is particularly the case with deployable things.

1 hour ago, blakemw said:

Yeah, some mod parts basically have malformed drag boxes and the physics model thinks they are way huger than they actually are. This is particularly the case with deployable things.

Sometimes, a part just needs to go in drag. I mean it's not my thing, but I tend not to judge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.