[PLUGIN, PART, .16] Zoolotac EscapePod v1.2

Zool

Anyone, release "coupler" mod (opposite to decoupler) ... i'm making a carrier ship, and i'd like to add a little vessels to it dynamicaly (with fixed "coupler" ports)... with a new crew members ))

(yea yes, i know a story with "docking" ... it's impossible ... but have anyone thought, thar this plugin would be possible?)

I've been using this mod for a while and it's worked fine. I even managed to get a two stage escape pod working on the surface of Kerbin. However, recently, I've been having problems with my escape pod command module falling off (literately) the part it's attached too. Here's some pictures.

screenshot3es.png screenshot4yv.png screenshot5m.png

As you can see, after I decouple the escape pod from the ascent stage, the escape pod command module flies right off. It doesn't seem to matter how many struts I put on, or what the part below the command module is (I tried RCS, ASAS, and regular fuel tank). Could you help me out?

Thank you.

-TheMonster

I've been using this mod for a while and it's worked fine. I even managed to get a two stage escape pod working on the surface of Kerbin. However, recently, I've been having problems with my escape pod command module falling off (literately) the part it's attached too. Here's some pictures.

screenshot3es.pngscreenshot4yv.pngscreenshot5m.png

As you can see, after I decouple the escape pod from the ascent stage, the escape pod command module flies right off. It doesn't seem to matter how many struts I put on, or what the part below the command module is (I tried RCS, ASAS, and regular fuel tank). Could you help me out?

Edit: I forgot how to put spoiler tags in (again). Really sorry.

Thank you.

-TheMonster

Edited by TheMonster

TheMonster, I've already reported this bug 2 posts above yours:

If you connect the decoupler of the mothership not to the modded pod but to the engine, for example, then the modded pod looses connection to the other parts after decouple.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31630[/ATTACH]

Always connect the decoupler of the mothership to the modded pod directly. I hope developer finds a way to solve this problem in order to make this awesome mod even better :)

7Tc9e.png

Do you mind if steal that image for the first post? I've kind of given up on fixing , I probably spent 20+ hours trying to rebuild a vessel with the root part of my choice. It seems like the only way to fix it would to pack the ship up, change it, then unpack it. It would probably cause the game to stutter, and it would delete your ship if it was in the atmosphere.

Edit: Well, I can fix the pod decoupling I didn't realize I did that. The rocket still won't work right if it's not built like in Shuttle's picture though.

Okay 1.2 is up with all of 1 line of code changed.

Edited by Zool

Of course, you can use that image :)

Decoupling issue is fixed in 1.2, everything works fine, thank you! However, I've noticed something strange. I've build this ship (click to enlarge):

Gtiwcl.jpg

When I disconnect from the mothership, get in modded pod and try to decouple the first stage, the decoupler gets disconnected as needed but the decoupler also gets disconnected from the fuel tank. It doesn't happen with vanilla ship where the decoupler stays connected to the fuel tank after separation. It is not a problem, actually, I just thought it might be a part of some bigger issue. Image to illustrate that: :)

NLdwKl.png

Of course, you can use that image :)

Decoupling issue is fixed in 1.2, everything works fine, thank you! However, I've noticed something strange. I've build this ship (click to enlarge):

Gtiwcl.jpg

When I disconnect from the mothership, get in modded pod and try to decouple the first stage, the decoupler gets disconnected as needed but the decoupler also gets disconnected from the fuel tank. It doesn't happen with vanilla ship where the decoupler stays connected to the fuel tank after separation. It is not a problem, actually, I just thought it might be a part of some bigger issue. Image to illustrate that: :)

NLdwKl.png

It's part of a bigger problem, it happens because the decoupler normally disconnects from it's parent, then I disconnect it from the debris and turn the debris into an active vessel. In this case, the lowest engine is the "rootpart" so the decoupler's parent is the fuel tank below it, not the engine above it, so it wants to stick to the vessel with the escape pod. I might be able to weld it back to the debris though.

I'll look into zoxygen compatibility this weekend, does zoxygen do the same thing if you decouple a crewable empty pod, or is it just escape pods.

First, great mod it's a great idea.

I have a few issues though.

When I decouple from the mother ship any couplers after that also activate causing my ship to come to pieces.

If I have an advanced SAS on the decoupled escape pod ship or a mechjeb sas it does not actually work.

This is the only thing I have notices with it. I have to make the ship have no couplers and no SAS of anykind for control.

I made this ship as the image above says to (pod directly on the coupler) and it always activates other things too.

Hopefully this can all be made to work. I don't mod so I have no idea how difficult or even possible that it may be.

The only time I've ever had trouble with decouplers is when they were being used with MechJeb 1.9 or earlier (1.9.1 fixes this), so be sure you're not using those versions if you're using these pods with decouplers, they'll just decouple automatically when separated from the main ship.

I have also had control with SAS and ASAS, although they tend to become inverted with their corrections depending on how the ship is set up. Even the pod SAS will invert itself sometimes, I notice that with my Mun lander all the time, since when I'm leaving the surface in the pod, it's pretty much just the pod, fuel tank, and engine, not a huge 200 ft tall ship anymore. I don't think the pod updates itself to compensate for that.

i can get the pod to function and i take control, but when i decople, all parts attached to the new pod dissappear, i cant access the endines or anything, ive tried decoupling from the new pod and the old one and i cant seem to get past this, any ideas?

What do you mean the parts disappear? The icons on the left of the screen, or the actual parts on the ship? If you have a ship the exhibits a certain bug it would be helpful if you could post the .craft file so I can see what's going on with it. (Please use all stock parts unless the bug is related to another mod part)

The only time I've ever had trouble with decouplers is when they were being used with MechJeb 1.9 or earlier (1.9.1 fixes this), so be sure you're not using those versions if you're using these pods with decouplers, they'll just decouple automatically when separated from the main ship.

I have also had control with SAS and ASAS, although they tend to become inverted with their corrections depending on how the ship is set up. Even the pod SAS will invert itself sometimes, I notice that with my Mun lander all the time, since when I'm leaving the surface in the pod, it's pretty much just the pod, fuel tank, and engine, not a huge 200 ft tall ship anymore. I don't think the pod updates itself to compensate for that.

I have Mechjeb vs 1.9.1 and I Dont have control with SAS, AdvSAS OR Mechjeb on the little pod after I decouple it. And I do have one on the pod and the main ship. I can control the pod with WASD, but sas advanced SAS etc does not hold the course, no control at all. that is the only thing i have problems with. Besides the decouplers all firing on it at the same time.

Question- I want someone to tell me if I'm utterly nuts with my current idea for this pack. My plan was to use mechjeb piloted craft to land single, uncrewed modules from this mod at a few points on the mun- so that if I attempt a landing and botch it, I can just pile a brave kerbalnaut into one of 'em and send him home. Is this possible? OR am I misinterpreting what this mod does?

I think I understand what you're wanting to do, but I'm just gonna clarify anyways: if you need a pod that is SEPARATE from your main ship, and you need that pod to be controllable WITH a Kerbal in it, then that's what you can use this mod for. If you need to be able to control said pod WITHOUT a Kerbal in it, than that is not possible with this mod alone. If MechJeb or some other mod allows you to control unpiloted ships, then sure, you can use these pods along with MechJeb, and it will be fully controllable when a Kerbal steps inside the pod.

Edited by Ekku Zakku

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.