StarMods:  VABReorienter!

SQUAD

12 hours ago, XLjedi said:

This reminds me... I need to find the skin for the VAB floor and paint N-E-W-S on it.  :wink:

6 hours ago, Jimmidii said:

Dammit! I didn't even know I wanted that in stock until you said it!

Hot tip - the big door with the crawlerway outside it, that always faces East.

1 hour ago, The_Rocketeer said:

Hot tip - the big door with the crawlerway outside it, that always faces East.

I know...  I was thinking more along the lines of something like this:

mypic13.jpg

Maybe with 15° or 22.5° radials?  

Edited by XLjedi

1 minute ago, dr.phees said:

Isn't the floor skin only one texture which is mirrored? Numbers would look wrong, then. (Unchecked claim!)

Possibly...  have not checked...  but radials should still work.  Numbers could also be stated as degree offsets.      

I just checked, yes, it is left-right mirrored. Radials will still work. There is text on the stock floor, but Squad got around by using mirrorable letters (A, M, H and the number 8 :)

Edited by dr.phees

19 minutes ago, dr.phees said:

I just checked, yes, it is left-right mirrored. Radials will still work. There is text on the stock floor, but Squad got around by using mirrorable letters (A, M, H and the number 8 :)

It's on my growing list of things to tinker with some day... 

Although, if I go that far, might as well take the next step and try to create a mod for the rotation tool that allows degrees to be an input or something.

1 hour ago, The_Rocketeer said:

I was being a little flippant before, but I'm genuinely intrigued now. What purpose would this serve? To find any angle you can use the angle-snap widget. I don't see how a visual aid on the floor would assist...?

Serves about the same purpose as a mod to orient your craft in one of 4 directions I s'pose...  my original winky-post was kinda in jest.  Maybe suggesting that if something were painted on the floor it would be obvious to people which way their rocket was facing.  However, my follow-ups were sincere and I have on occasion wanted to send a rocket in a specific direction and thought some compass radials would be helpful.  Maybe knock off a dv point or two aligning to Minmus if the launch is timed right?   ...or pointing something at a specific area on the globe.

Probably better to just have a readout that shows the heading in degrees as the craft is rotated.

Edited by XLjedi

4 hours ago, XLjedi said:

if something were painted on the floor it would be obvious to people which way their rocket was facing. 

My rockets always point up!  :cool: Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

I am going to check this one out though. 

Nice one, gonna grab that.

Wouldn't it be nicer to have a switch in VAB (with default in settings) that I can still switch to north when building resource scanner I want to launch to polar orbit?

This is already good, most of my rockets go east, thx.

Ahh, wrong topic I suppose, should post there, not here.

Edited by firda

9 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

Editor Extensions allows you to set up any snap interval you want.

Don't want an interval...  but thanks.   There are a few items in the SPH/VAB that I would like to have input boxes to enter values for.  I s'pose this would just be another one.  Not too much of a concern for me and the VAB though, I seldom build rockets.

Edited by XLjedi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.