Mission play style idea: "Gemini Space Program"

In my current playthrough of ksp, I've found myself using a similar design motif when building my spacecraft, so I figured I'd challenge others to try to do the same.

The rules/guidelines are rather simple: your probes, rovers, and space stations can be built and launched however you wish; but any manned missions to planets and moons are to be done Gemini style. You launch two separate craft, the propulsion module, and the command/lander module. After you have rendezvoused and docked the two in orbit, you use the propulsion module to get to your destination, undock and land with the command module, do whatever you plan on doing on the ground, ascend and rendezvous with propulsion module, and get back to Kerbin. Beyond the limitation of having to launch two separate craft for one mission, you can design them any way you want; you don't even have to have two kerbals in the command module. 

Don't fret over the potential complexity, it's quite similar to Apollo style missions, except for the two separate launches and the fact that the propulsion module is most likely unmanned. Mods are suggested, but not needed; same goes for the making history dlc.

Post progress, images, videos, and whatnot below!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.