Jump to content

"ghost" collider appearing on surface attach


Recommended Posts

I have a part that consists of a cylinder with a hollow skirt section below it, for the colliders I've just used a cylindrical mesh collider with a bunch of "panel" mesh colliders below it to make up the skirt (all are convex).

GEBBTsH.png

 

In game though, there is a spot on the top cylindrical section where surface attach doesn't seem to conform to the collider, as can be seen here:

https://i.imgur.com/UJS6BOR.gifv

If I remove the skirt colliders it no longer happens, so I assume it has something to do with them, almost as if there are invisible mirror images of them appearing at the top. I tried replacing them with box colliders but that didn't make any difference, just wondering if anyone has any idea what's going on here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what's going on there but I'm currently working on a part with a hollow skirt as well. The part is upside down, so the skirt is on top and I don't observe the problem you described/visualized. Here's my unity setup, maybe it can be of use:
KO7WqWJ.png

On 5/20/2018 at 4:57 AM, mcdouble said:

If I remove the skirt colliders it no longer happens, so I assume it has something to do with them, almost as if there are invisible mirror images of them appearing at the top.

If your assumtion is correct and there is some weird mirroring stuff going on, maybe it helps to change the center of origin in the model.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2018 at 3:57 AM, mcdouble said:

In game though, there is a spot on the top cylindrical section where surface attach doesn't seem to conform to the collider, as can be seen here:

In the image of the collider why is the pivot not in the center of the object.  even colliders need to follow the rules , and the pivots should always be central and aligned with those of the main model,  if the model is aligned Y up, the colliders should also be Y up. The misplaced pivot can cause the mesh to deform when loaded in game, it will also cause weirdness with the drag cube and bounds box, as it will not be central

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

In the image of the collider why is the pivot not in the center of the object.  even colliders need to follow the rules , and the pivots should always be central and aligned with those of the main model,  if the model is aligned Y up, the colliders should also be Y up. The misplaced pivot can cause the mesh to deform when loaded in game, it will also cause weirdness with the drag cube and bounds box, as it will not be central

 

That's not the pivot point of the colliders, it's another part that I'd dragged out of the way. Sorry if that confused things, everything is aligned there so I don't think that's the cause.

 

12 hours ago, Eleusis La Arwall said:

If your assumtion is correct and there is some weird mirroring stuff going on, maybe it helps to change the center of origin in the model.

Thanks for sharing that info, I did try moving the origin around and it didn't seem to have any effect on where the mirroring occured. Glad to see you are not having the same problem, in the end I just gave up and made the skirt section a separate part.

Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...