RIP, Anthony Bourdain

tater

I enjoyed his books, and even had the pleasure of sitting down with him for part of a dinner once at a food/book event (he moved around the handful of tables during the multi-course meal, and spent time talking with all of us).

Really sad.

I have this conversation sometimes with a buddy who is a psychiatrist: Mental health problems are real, and they are TREATABLE. If you know anyone with depression, encourage them to seek medical care (or seek it out yourself if it's you).

I heard this morning, in the car. I was surprised to hear it was suicide; If anything, I'd have thought he'd drink himself to death. Never read any of his books, but I did enjoy his tv program. He did an episode filmed in the Republic of Georgia, and I laughed when he learned of Chacha... I grinned knowingly when he learned where Georgian wine and cuisine were at. :cool:  M'Lady watched the episode with me, laughing and confirming everything, and pretty much knew every single place he went to as well. Bourdain was only a year younger than me.

RIP Mr. Bourdain

Anthony Bourdain was one of my favourite travel and food personalities. I especially loved his show No Reservations, that show inspired me in so many ways especially when it comes to be a traveling gastronome, I honestly looked past his cynical repartee and I saw a visionary well worth high acclaim in my opinion.

Edited by Jeb1969

I forgot a out him but now i remember watching him again. Sad to see him pass, especially the fact that he committed suicide, wich by far is the worst cause of death to hear about.

RIP.

Yeah, it makes me profoundly sad. I have a friend with a terrible prognosis, and know of a couple who both have "get you affairs in order" diseases (and kids), and the sheer waste of taking your own life makes me... angry. Not at the victim, but at the disease that broke him. It's no different than having a bad cancer, except that it's usually treatable.

5 hours ago, tater said:

Yeah, it makes me profoundly sad. I have a friend with a terrible prognosis, and know of a couple who both have "get you affairs in order" diseases (and kids), and the sheer waste of taking your own life makes me... angry. Not at the victim, but at the disease that broke him. It's no different than having a bad cancer, except that it's usually treatable.

Speaking of such things; Just today, Charles Krauthammer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.