The Summer Break Thread

SaturnianBlue

38 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

I've been told numerous stories about "The blizzard of '93". Supposedly it was a real blizzard, though we never got much snow when we lived there. That would make a blizzard all the more threatening, I guess.

Speaking of big weather related events, i was born in during big heatwave, and the Netherlands just keeps getting hotter and hotter to this day. I bet we are going to have an uncomfortably hot summer. I absolutely hate the sun when it shines on my skin.

Summer is one of my least favourite seasons. Here is a list of stuff i dislike about it:

• Its extremely hot and sunny, wich irritates my skin alot and gives me a headache. (people in the Netherlands like to brag about being rainy all the time here, but that is not entirely true)
  • People, especially kids, run around in the neigborhood, wich creates alot of noise.
  • Mosquitos and bugs, these things feast on my 'red fluids' all the time.
  • Sweat that make me, and all my clothes smell bad. Im not a big fan of spraying deodorant everywhere either, but its my only option.

Whenever its summer, people drag me outside and make me have to deal with pretty much all the problems. I wish i could take my family out to the beach in winter instead of summer one day. Its more calming and comfortable.

Sorry for the rant.

Edited by NSEP

Just now, Just Jim said:

Also known as the "no-name storm" down here in Florida... though I didn't know it was the same storm at the time. I still hear people talk about it. It blasted through Florida with the power of a hurricane, and dumped a ton of rain, then headed up the coast, and snow-locked Binghamton, NY (where I lived) for over 3-days... No cars on the roads, only snow-mobiles and people with skies... literally! I remember it well... It's a big reason why I'm never moving back to NY... snow... blechhhh..... :P

I wasn't born until a decade later so all I have is stories. In Georgia(where I lived) the schools and businesses closed at the slightest snow, and it took a few days to get the snowplows up and running. On the subject of summer break however, sometime next week i'm planning on visiting the Boston Museum of Science, it being a kind of annual tradition at this point. It's one of the best museums I've ever been to, and it means I get to ride the subway(which I always look forward to).

I freaking love summer break and now that my brother is off from Art and Design School, My brother and I went on a "Brocation" this year we chose Minneapolis/St. Paul (because it is roughly a 4 1/2 hour drive from where I live.) Mostly a "Brocation" at least how I define it involves going to a big city spending the night, finding unique chow spots (usually something ethnic.) while also visiting museums and shops that pique our interests. 

As for the actual first week of Summer I am in the process of moving from Iowa to North Carolina.  (so most of June and first week of July is  being taken up mostly by the move.)

Mid to Late July my Aunt and Cousin are flying in from Kansas City and they have decided (since I will be settled in North Carolina) that they would like to Visit the coastline(Kitty Hawk and Cape Hatteras.) (even though I suggested the Blue Ridge Mountains. centering around the small town of Banner Elk.)

As for the remainder of summer that is pretty much open. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.