Massive FPS drop near stations/bases - question to Devs + solutions?

Hey.

I'm having a massive FPS drop near space stations or planetary bases since KSP wants to calculate every single unit, making the game unplayable (docking at 10fps with only the first docking port unlocked was a nightmare!)

I was thinking about some solutions, and 2 possible solutions came to mind, although the 1st is a more definitive one:

1. Disable physics calculation for every single object. We simply don't need the game calculating everything in a base or station. So if I already have a base built or a station in orbit and stable for x seconds, the game should just stop calculating everything but the main parts (maybe this could be activated once we rename the ship and make it a station or a base, each having it's own parameters to disable physics calculation);
  2. Bring Max physics delta-time per frame back. Why is this not available in the console version of the game? We need more performance options in the game setting.
    For the ones that don't know what this is, it basically slows time down so the computer can better calculate the physics. For example, if the physics calculation is pretty heavy on the CPU and frames start to drop, the game will basically slow down time (so 1 second in game takes 10 seconds in real life).
    The problem with this is that it would take more time for things to happen, but the experience would be way smoother (no more trying to click on a tiny ship part at 10fps during emergencies with the cursor controlled by the analogue stick axis).

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 12:25 PM, Arch3rAc3 said:

Hey.

I'm having a massive FPS drop near space stations or planetary bases since KSP wants to calculate every single unit, making the game unplayable (docking at 10fps with only the first docking port unlocked was a nightmare!)

I was thinking about some solutions, and 2 possible solutions came to mind, although the 1st is a more definitive one:

1. Disable physics calculation for every single object. We simply don't need the game calculating everything in a base or station. So if I already have a base built or a station in orbit and stable for x seconds, the game should just stop calculating everything but the main parts (maybe this could be activated once we rename the ship and make it a station or a base, each having it's own parameters to disable physics calculation);
  2. Bring Max physics delta-time per frame back. Why is this not available in the console version of the game? We need more performance options in the game setting.
    For the ones that don't know what this is, it basically slows time down so the computer can better calculate the physics. For example, if the physics calculation is pretty heavy on the CPU and frames start to drop, the game will basically slow down time (so 1 second in game takes 10 seconds in real life).
    The problem with this is that it would take more time for things to happen, but the experience would be way smoother (no more trying to click on a tiny ship part at 10fps during emergencies with the cursor controlled by the analogue stick axis).

If you have suggestions on the game, you can put them in the Suggestions and Development thread. There the developers check out things, and they may include them in a future update.

On 6/26/2018 at 10:25 PM, Arch3rAc3 said:

Hey.

How big are your stations? Are they small, or large?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2018 at 10:47 AM, DunaManiac said:

How big are your stations? Are they small, or large?

Here's a video example I recorded. The station is 2x larger and in orbit of the moon now (it was a nightmare getting it there). http://xboxclips.com/Arch3rAc3/9c32dcdb-b57e-4526-b59f-ae05483d4866

On 7/24/2018 at 8:10 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

If you have suggestions on the game, you can put them in the Suggestions and Development thread. There the developers check out things, and they may include them in a future update.

Thanks, just did it!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 5:21 PM, Arch3rAc3 said:

Here's a video example I recorded. The station is 2x larger and in orbit of the moon now (it was a nightmare getting it there). http://xboxclips.com/Arch3rAc3/9c32dcdb-b57e-4526-b59f-ae05483d4866

Thanks, just did it!

Looks pretty smooth to me. Unfortunately, I couldn't see the entire station. Could you show us a pic of the entire station during the daytime? What is the partcount.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2018 at 5:03 PM, DunaManiac said:

Looks pretty smooth to me. Unfortunately, I couldn't see the entire station. Could you show us a pic of the entire station during the daytime? What is the partcount.

The station is long gone, I just ended up deleting it because it was unplayable.
I can't tell exactlyt how many parts it had, but that module I'm docking in the video is the 1st of 4 modules (I made a Power one, cabins, science and fuel or something else). The project looked pretty cool, I managed to deploy all antennas and solar panels in specific angles that they wouldn't collide with other parts of the station and would fit very nicely.

Unfortunately, I couldn't even use the cursor to click on objects since it would just jump all around the screen. It was probably jumping between 5 and 15 FPS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.