Does Comms DTS-M1 exist anymore?

Moving to Gameplay Questions.

10 minutes ago, TheAngryHulk said:

I saw a video using this but it was old and when I looked in the science tree I couldn't find it. Am I blind or is it not in the game anymore?

Nope, it's there.  Check the Precision Engineering node on the tech tree.  It unlocks in the same place as the RA-2 antenna and HECS probe core.

Ok I'm using this but it's not the "Comms DTS M1" it's "communotron DTS M1". I know you'll probably say it's the same thing but in the video the guy could point 3 of them toward the Mun, Minmus and Kerban. Communotron can't do that. Did they replace it with another antenna that can?

Edited by TheAngryHulk
grammar

11 minutes ago, TheAngryHulk said:

in the video the guy could point 3 of them toward the Mun, Minmus and Kerban.

Aaaah, now I think I see what may be going on here.

In the stock game, there's no such thing as "pointing an antenna toward a target".  The stock comms system is very simple.  Every antenna has a certain "antenna power", and that's it-- there's no such thing as "aiming" them.  To find out whether there's a communications link between A and B, you just compare their respective antenna powers against the distance between them, do the math, and there you go.

However... there does exist a communications mod that does involve targeting antennas at things.  It's called RemoteTech.  Back before KSP added CommNet to the stock game in version 1.2, there was no comms system in stock.  Back then, the RemoteTech mod was basically the only game in town, if you wanted to build communications networks.

Then KSP 1.2 came along, with stock CommNet, and suddenly people didn't have to go to RemoteTech to have communications.  The stock game can do it.

That said, though... RemoteTech is still around.  ;)  It has a considerably more complex communications model than the stock game does:  antennas have to be targeted, they consume power all the time while turned on, there's lightspeed delay in signal transmission, it has a simple autopilot for automated commands, etc.

RemoteTech not only re-purposes the stock antennas, but it also adds several new antennas of its own.

Anyway, my guess is that the video you were watching was probably of someone playing with the RemoteTech mod installed?

8 minutes ago, Snark said:

Aaaah, now I think I see what may be going on here.

In the stock game, there's no such thing as "pointing an antenna toward a target".  The stock comms system is very simple.  Every antenna has a certain "antenna power", and that's it-- there's no such thing as "aiming" them.  To find out whether there's a communications link between A and B, you just compare their respective antenna powers against the distance between them, do the math, and there you go.

However... there does exist a communications mod that does involve targeting antennas at things.  It's called RemoteTech.  Back before KSP added CommNet to the stock game in version 1.2, there was no comms system in stock.  Back then, the RemoteTech mod was basically the only game in town, if you wanted to build communications networks.

Then KSP 1.2 came along, with stock CommNet, and suddenly people didn't have to go to RemoteTech to have communications.  The stock game can do it.

That said, though... RemoteTech is still around.  ;)  It has a considerably more complex communications model than the stock game does:  antennas have to be targeted, they consume power all the time while turned on, there's lightspeed delay in signal transmission, it has a simple autopilot for automated commands, etc.

RemoteTech not only re-purposes the stock antennas, but it also adds several new antennas of its own.

Anyway, my guess is that the video you were watching was probably of someone playing with the RemoteTech mod installed?

The name of the video, in part, is remotetech school, but I thought that was the channel theme or something. Didn't know it was a mod. Thanks for the answer.

1 hour ago, TheAngryHulk said:

The name of the video, in part, is remotetech school, but I thought that was the channel theme or something. Didn't know it was a mod. Thanks for the answer.

Aaaand there ya go.  :)

RemoteTech can be fun to play with.  Main thing to bear in mind is that it's completely absolutely different from the stock system, in terms of how it works-- so don't use a RemoteTech training video if you're playing stock comms, and vice versa.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.