Exploding ore tanks

The central stack does not need to be batteries. At first I thought replacing them with a fuel tank was stable but watch the heading on the launchpad - a stable craft should remain at 000°. Using one (empty) FL-T series fuel tank clustered with eight smaller (full) FL-T tanks is at first glance ok except for that small heading change and a feeling that the craft is vibrating imperceptibly. Replace the eight FL-T tanks with six Rockomax tanks and ... boom!

So, the simple craft in the picture below may be easier to reproduce: an Okto2 probecore on top of an empty FL-T800 fuel tank with six full Rockomax x200-16 fuel tanks joined to it. Self destructs on launchpad. Bad example - see next post.

wZtNhQ7.png

Edited by mystifeid

Nope - bad example. Even when I attach the six Rockomax tanks with modular girder segments so that there is no clipping, it still explodes on the launchpad.

Going back to the original test - I used an okto2 probecore on a stack of z1-k batteries and attached six full small holding tanks. It explodes on the launchpad. When I remove the clipping by attaching the six full tanks with tt-38k radial decouplers, it doesn't explode but it still doesn't look happy on the launchpad.

Ok so trying eight (8) full small holding tanks attached to a full FL-T800 fuel there is only a very small heading change on launch. When I empty the fuel tank though, the heading change is wild.

So the mass of the central stack, as well as the clipping seems to be involved.

Good luck trying to quantify this phenomenon well enough for a bug report.

Just to confuse you a bit more - in all cases tested on the launchpad so far, if the attached tanks (clipped or not) are supporting the central stack instead of the other way around, the craft seems perfectly stable on the launchpad.

I think some of the launchpad testing results may just be effects of the physics engine kicking in but that would still not explain why ore cannot be transferred into clipped tanks in orbit.

Edited by mystifeid

18 minutes ago, TanDeeJay said:

I was going to put into the bug report the steps that always reproduce...

Probably the best example is the original - transferring ore into the six radially clipped tanks in orbit. Explosion occurs on fifth transfer.

is it acceptable to put a link back to this discussion in the bug report for reference?

Sure.

or should everything discussed here be included in the bug report?

Only if you can make sense of it. I can't.

Edited by mystifeid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.