Problem adding parachute part - Solved

Ignore the question below... the problem is fixed now.

I noticed that although my fuel tank appeared in the VAB list, the stock one on which it is based did not. So I thought that there was probably another identifier, other than the Title in the CFG file. It turns out that identifier is of course the Name of the part (doh!) and as I was working with a copy of the FL-T400 cfg file and hadn't changed the name, then my part just overwrote the stock one.

Once I gave both my tank and parachute parts new names in their CFG's, both appeared in the VAB.

Today's lesson kids is read the docs, in this case the Part Modelling Guidelines which says " Just make sure that the name field in the cfgs are unique ".

----------------------------------------------

So far I've successfully added a fuel tank part to the game via Unity. However I'm having an issue with parachutes.

The problem isn't with getting something I've made into the game (my exported part from Unity didn't appear in the VAB), but even a name changed duplicate of one of the stock parachutes fails to show up in the VAB.

To create the duplicate I copied the parachuteMk1 folder from GameData\Squad\Parts\Utility to my own parts folder in GameData. I then renamed the copied parachuteMk1.cfg file to parachuteMkx.cfg and changed the Title of the part in that CFG to Parachute Mk X.

On loading the game no new parachute part appeared in the Utilities part tab. To check my process, I carried out the same changes on a copy of a stock fuel tank and that appeared in the VAB.

So does anyone have any knowledge of getting parachutes into the game that might be relevant? Just to be clear, this isn't at this stage about the process of getting a parachute through Unity, just trying to find out if there's anything special about them, regarding gettting even stock duplicates to appear.

BTW.. here's my first rather simple creation.

My plan is to make a set of parts that a more literally junkyard style than the stock ones, which can also serve as props for anyone wanting to put bits of junk in their screenshots etc.

r8bnBCp.png

Edited by purpleivan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.