Edit a Stock Save after renaming Kerbin?

Gordon Fecyk

When folks use Alien Space Programs and still have Kerbin set as the home world for some play-throughs, Kerbin gets renamed internally to avoid having two Kerbins, and to accommodate visual add-ons. The world names remain consistent between home world settings, so a player could have multiple saves in a single KSP installation; one or more for each home world. This also saves the player from having multiple KSP installations, saving disk space.

The problem is what happens if someone imports a stock save file into a KSP installation with Alien Space Programs installed and Kerbin is the home world setting. Kerbin is still the second celestial body defined, but it is renamed internally to "Bin." As a result, an imported save will have contracts and milestones saved for Kerbin, but not for Bin. World-firsts such as "We have entered orbit," will re-trigger. Contracts tied to stock Kerbin won't load.

I've already tried searching and replacing text in a save file to work around this, and I'm partially successful. I've managed to preserve contracts by editing the body name from "Kerbin" to "Kerbin^n," which is the stock localization text for Kerbin in en-us. Contracts that say, "Kerbin at site xxxxx" seem to be preserved. But I haven't been able to avoid re-triggering world-firsts. Kerbals also seem to get double credit for activities at Kerbin / Bin if they've done the activity before the import and do the activity again after the import.

What else should I edit in the save file to ensure a stock save can import into this system where the home world is "Bin" internally?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.