Longer smoke plumes using Real Plume mod

ashenfang

Been using the Real Plume mod for a while and absolutely love it! However, I would like a bit more length to the "smoke trail" left behind, mostly when using SRB's. The default config is decent but more length/duration would be even better. What is the config file/entries that need to be edited to accomplish this?

10 hours ago, ashenfang said:

What is the config file/entries that need to be edited to accomplish this? 

the length of the smoke trail depends on particle persistence, or the lifetime of the particle itself. There are three main ways to control this:

• Maximum particle count: in the smokescreen window is a number defining how many particles can be rendered simultaneously. Depending on this number and how many particle effects are being generated, at some point you may reach this limit and any older particles will just be destroyed, cutting off your smoke trail at a certain length. Increasing this number will increase the length of your smoke trail while also decreasing game performance. How much depends on the particles being rendered and the capabilities of your machine
  • Individual particle count: if you can run a number like 10000 active particles and still think your smoke trail is too short, the next thing to look at is a parameter within the MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST config that isn't there by default but needs to be added: particleCountLimit. You'll notice in the SmokeScreen window a number next to the particle effect in parenthesis, which is how many individual particles of that effect are currently being generated. They will usually max out at 1000, which is the default. These numbers added together are what apply to the maximum particle count. Set this individual number higher for your smoke effects
  • Particle effect parameters: Ok if you're smoke trail is still too short and you feel some graphical performance overhead remains, then you'll need to start tweaking the smoke particle effect itself to make the individual particles persist longer before fading out. Here I'm not that able to help because I still don't understand a lot of it myself and while I've tweaked my way to reasonable results I'm pleased with it was simply through trial and error.

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2019 at 2:32 AM, Drew Kerman said:
  • Individual particle count: if you can run a number like 10000 active particles and still think your smoke trail is too short, the next thing to look at is a parameter within the MODEL_MULTI_SHURIKEN_PERSIST config that isn't there by default but needs to be added: particleCountLimit. You'll notice in the SmokeScreen window a number next to the particle effect in parenthesis, which is how many individual particles of that effect are currently being generated. They will usually max out at 1000, which is the default. These numbers added together are what apply to the maximum particle count. Set this individual number higher for your smoke effects

Thank You! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.