Uhm... 1800 tonnes A-class asteroid?!

Wiki tells that those can not be heavier than 10 tonnes, but there it is.

AUZdrfg.png

It did fulfilled my contract to capture an A-class asteroid, also it is relatively small since my ship is only Mk3 pod, heatshield, jumbo tank and nuclear engine.

I did the calculations in the VAB of how much dV I'd have if I pick up 10 tonnes of cargo and it turned out to be 2000 dV which is enough to put this thing into orbit for a contract and return home. Now I'm 75% full on fuel and having 41 dV.

I'm not even sure if it is mod fault or something else because the only mod that has anything to do with asteroids is Outer Planets mod, but I doubt that it adds anything besides random asteroids near gas giants (the Custom Asteroids folder contains only one settings file that does nothing by itself and is left after its de-installation via CKAN). Edit: oh, USI Asteroid Recycling Technologies does change the asteroids, but the forum page has so little info.

wvswiH3.pngtbi85Ep.png

Edited by Actually_New_KSP_Player

@Actually_New_KSP_Player

It might have something to do with Custom asteroids.

I know that mod organizes several asteroid types where the heaviest are metallic. So class A or class E could be a asteroid that is metallic based and should be heavier. I haven't played the mod so I'm amazed that it divides asteroids into these classes of different material basis.

There's also a mod that I can't find in your list (unless it's part of custom asteroids) that re-configures the asteroids to have realistic weight.
The weight of stock asteroids isn't realistic, in real life they're much heavier. In stock it's like they're modules like a rocky shell with a room of air in it.
A real life rocket is a Carbon/metal/aluminum shell with liquid propellant in it.

Liquid propellant is less heavy then, rock or metal. A small rock compared to the rocket could be the same weight as the spacecraft.
A actual asteroid that is the same size (or larger) is usually much heavier then the rocket trying to push it.
In stock KSP the rocket is sometimes larger then the asteroid itself while being heavier. That is pathetic by the way but it's the Dev's choice in ease of gameplay and with that I have to agree :sticktongue:

2 minutes ago, Aeroboi said:

@Actually_New_KSP_Player

It might have something to do with Custom asteroids.

I know that mod organizes several asteroid types where the heaviest are metallic. So class A or class E could be a asteroid that is metallic based and should be heavier. I haven't played the mod so I'm amazed that it divides asteroids into these classes of different material basis.

There's also a mod that I can't find in your list (unless it's part of custom asteroids) that re-configures the asteroids to have realistic weight.
The weight of stock asteroids isn't realistic, in real life they're much heavier. In stock it's like they're modules like a rocky shell with a room of air in it.
A real life rocket is a Carbon/metal/aluminum shell with liquid propellant in it.

Liquid propellant is less heavy then, rock or metal. A small rock compared to the rocket could be the same weight as the spacecraft.
A actual asteroid that is the same size (or larger) is usually much heavier then the rocket trying to push it.
In stock KSP the rocket is sometimes larger then the asteroid itself while being heavier. That is pathetic by the way but it's the Dev's choice in ease of gameplay and with that I have to agree :sticktongue:

The custom asteroid folder contains only "Custom Asteroids Settings.cfg" and that's what insidezKTc3RH.png

I'm not a modmaker, but I doubt that this file even being executed in that case.

And I definitely did not installed mod for a realistic weight because I didn't know that it even exists before.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.