What is the point of Munar Archs

Grand Lander

Here's a monolith for you. It's a 2001: Space Odyssey nod, I would think.

Monolith

We may never know why they are there, they just are. I think since there's not "that much" stuff to do right now, as far as missions are concerned, this makes for an interesting journey, trying to find the arches and monoliths. There's a few other easter eggs in the game as well. Enjoy finding them (or most likely, stumbling upon them!) !

Things like this will probably have a meaning when the final game comes out.

ehhh i kinda hope that they dont.

i mean right now things like the archs are these bizare formations, could they be something of another life's creation? or are tehy just absolutly bizzare natrual formations? maybe gaining an achievment for finding them, but honestly, i like easter eggs like this that just exsist, that you can just happen to fall upon. it adds reason in itself to explore, adds to teh mystery of the stars.

I have to agree. They're a treat for the person who does a low level equatorial orbit and learns to aim a landing from it. Do they need a point? Not really. I'd like for the ends of the arch to always be grounded (and for kerbals to not explode when flying under bits of the arch), but apart from that, they're awesome already.

I have to agree. They're a treat for the person who does a low level equatorial orbit and learns to aim a landing from it. Do they need a point? Not really. I'd like for the ends of the arch to always be grounded (and for kerbals to not explode when flying under bits of the arch), but apart from that, they're awesome already.

might be fun if we could find some elastic to see if we can sling shot a kerbal from the mun to kerbin though...

They are the sort of Easter Egg developers put into games, especially early on when a lot of real content has yet to appear. Same as the monoliths, they are there simply to give people something to stumble across, talk about, and go out and search for. They take much less work than proper game content, so they can be added early and cheaply:- they are very cost-effective content for the benefit of early purchasers!

Its the tail of spacekraken

I think it's more likely that they're the mighty rings the developers have been hammering into the moon to chain up the space kraken when it is captured upon the release of the next patch.

Or maybe I've just been reading too much China Mieville.

Hmmm, though thinking about it, some X-Com-likish explore-research-story wouldnt be that bad. Not for weapons and defeating some alien race, of course, but just to explain the existence of the anomalies. No real point in them, still, but having a nice sci-fi story be told around them.

Like something like this:

- First find any anomaly.

- Start a research team on the data on it. When it´s finished it will tell you about some radiation emitted by it and unlock research for a anomaly-scanning decive.

- Research that scaning device. (optional for progressing the story, but immensely helpful)

- Find the other type of anomaly.

- Start another research project. When it´s finished, it will give you piece of story about their potential purpose. Say, for now, they might have been sort of phone booths (hey, this is a ´placeholder´, okay, replace with anything that strikes your fancy).

- Find all anomalies existing on one celestial body of your choice ; unlocks:

- Research on a story about the origins of the anomalies. Their age and their builders, but only vague, mysterious info.

- Find all anomalies on another celestial body of your choice ; unlocks:

- Research on how to use all known anomalies, in accordance to their purpose (as mentioned/chosen above) + a little more info on the builiders.

- Find all anomalies in the system; unlocks:

- Research on how to build your own ´anomalies´ + info on builders.

Sort of xeno-archeology storyline without much impact on whatever else you are doing. Just for some extra-flavor for sci-fi-lovers.

The purpose of the arches and munoliths is to provide endless speculation, entertainment and talk, over the most trivial of content. This thread being a case in point.

Other game devs must be weeping over this. The WOW devs come to mind.

I don't think KSP needs a storyline or detailed history of why the Kerbals are green, their geographical or political motivations, or why Kerbin has such a dense core... Folks can hae fun speculating, but explaining everything takes a lot of the fun out of the core of the game, IMO.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.