Primary instruments clustered at the bottom like an airplane

Having the altimeter at the top and the navball at the bottom of the screen is a poor decision in terms of human factors. In an airplane, the primary instruments (attitude indicator, altimeter, VSI, compass, etc), are all clustered closely together so that the pilot can scan them all quickly at a glance, with very small eye movements from one instrument to another.

Please make it so that the altimeter/VSI and navball UIs can be clustered together at the bottom.

In the meantime, is there a mod out there would allow me to move the altimeter down to the bottom of the screen? I tried "Draggable Altimeter", but it only lets me drag the altimeter along the top edge of the screen.

More information on standard flight instrument arrangements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_instruments#Layout

As you can see in the images in the Wikipedia article, the pilot doesn't have to constantly look above and below the windshield to monitor his/her airspeed, altitude, vertical speed, and attitude. The instruments that are above the windshield don't involve the direct piloting of the aircraft: they would be autopilot controls, environmental controls, circuit breakers, etc.

I don't know about instruments on actual spacecraft, but I'm pretty sure they would follow the same principle that the primary instruments are clustered together.

I used to be a pilot and I always hated the IVA looks because of the layouts.

Flying our contraptions from the inside like a flight simulator would be great.

Alas.

Since we got a ground altitude readout I don't go IVA at all any more. The only reason for me was for a quick peek at the Radalt (Radar Altimeter).

Yes, "Normal" layouts put all the primary instruments in front of the pilot to minimise head movements.

ME

On 7/7/2019 at 7:05 AM, Martian Emigrant said:

I used to be a pilot and I always hated the IVA looks because of the layouts.

Alas.

Since we got a ground altitude readout I don't go IVA at all any more. The only reason for me was for a quick peek at the Radalt (Radar Altimeter).

Yes, "Normal" layouts put all the primary instruments in front of the pilot to minimise head movements.

ME

I always liked IVA  better because most of the gauges looked just like that-like gauges in an airplane, not weird counters like the normal speed/altitude read outs.  I also use the aero data from Alt-F12 because it feels like I’m reading FDR data.

On 7/7/2019 at 8:05 AM, Martian Emigrant said:

My suggestion was for the instruments on the external and map views, but I also agree with you about the arrangement of instruments in IVA.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.