Extreme lag when near surface of planets

mkay, 

this is gonna be a hard one to explain because I have no idea what's causing the issue

whenever i'm landed on a planet (besides kerbin) or in reasonable proximity to one I get extremely low framerates, this is made even more confusing by the fact that I get 60+ fps on kerbin and that it only seems to effect manned landers

when I turned all the surface scatter and surface textures down to minimum the problem persisted

i'm not even sure that its a mod causing this issue because the issue persisted even after I had uninstalled all visual mods that directly effected planets

the only two remaining are planetshine and distant object enhancement which when turned off, don't fix the problem

my PC is fairly powerful and was able to run ksp perfectly fine in the past

its an i5 cpu with an nvidia 1050ti

the game isn't unplayable, but a fairly large part of it is due to this 

if anyone has any ideas (as to what might cause it) or questions ill try to get back as soon as possible

thanks for your time, and even bothering to read this

This is happening to me too, trying to narrow it down. I presume it's something to do with a mod and not a stock bug, though haven't verified this for sure. It only happens when my vessel undergoes physics, the framerate is fine in timewarp and when EVA, away from the vessel's range. I've seen it happen on Duna and Minmus so far. EDIT: Oh and yeah, this doesn't happen on Kerbin for some reason. EDIT 2: Sources say it might be a Kopernicus problem.

Here's a screenshot of my GameData folder5ud5hdw.png

Edited by nwillard

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same issue. Anywhere except Kerbin and my system basic slows down to 1-2FPS once the terrain becomes visible. I have an insane rig too so this confuses me. I have a 8790K @ 4.2GHZ, 32GB RAM, and a RTX2080TI. I built this rig to play Xplane and for some reason once I try to land on Minimus or the Mun.... booom lag like crazy!

A friend and I had the same problem too, while I almost shot my PC my friend tested around a bit and found out that turning Ground Scatter of in the options solves it. I tested it myself and it worked. I got back from 5fps to 60 when landing with a mediumsized lander. Yet again it seems to be a problem with Kopernicus or one of the other Graphic Mods as Vanilla has nothing against scatter.

I hope this helps you and some others.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting a similar issue, low frame rate when a planet is in view (low orbit) and terrible frame rates when landed but not when doing timewarp.. (except physics warp)

I think I have scatters off but I'll have to check and I'll look at kopernicus /scatterer options..  if anyone else has suggestions/solutions I'd be very grateful!

I have a decent (ish) rig and it seemed to fairly suddenly slow down as my save progressed. (around building my ike base)

For anyone who still has this problem try uninstalling kopernicus or updating the version 

For now I’ll mark this as the solution 

please notify me of this doesn’t solve the problem 

3 hours ago, bunjatec said:

I'm getting a similar issue, low frame rate when a planet is in view (low orbit) and terrible frame rates when landed but not when doing timewarp.. (except physics warp)

I think I have scatters off but I'll have to check and I'll look at kopernicus /scatterer options..  if anyone else has suggestions/solutions I'd be very grateful!

I have a decent (ish) rig and it seemed to fairly suddenly slow down as my save progressed. (around building my ike base)

On 8/28/2019 at 12:09 PM, Can't fit through hatch said:

A friend and I had the same problem too, while I almost shot my PC my friend tested around a bit and found out that turning Ground Scatter of in the options solves it. I tested it myself and it worked. I got back from 5fps to 60 when landing with a mediumsized lander. Yet again it seems to be a problem with Kopernicus or one of the other Graphic Mods as Vanilla has nothing against scatter.

I hope this helps you and some others.

On 8/25/2019 at 4:31 PM, KIMCHI said:

I have the same issue. Anywhere except Kerbin and my system basic slows down to 1-2FPS once the terrain becomes visible. I have an insane rig too so this confuses me. I have a 8790K @ 4.2GHZ, 32GB RAM, and a RTX2080TI. I built this rig to play Xplane and for some reason once I try to land on Minimus or the Mun.... booom lag like crazy!

On 7/25/2019 at 6:38 PM, nwillard said:

This is happening to me too, trying to narrow it down. I presume it's something to do with a mod and not a stock bug, though haven't verified this for sure. It only happens when my vessel undergoes physics, the framerate is fine in timewarp and when EVA, away from the vessel's range. I've seen it happen on Duna and Minmus so far. EDIT: Oh and yeah, this doesn't happen on Kerbin for some reason. EDIT 2: Sources say it might be a Kopernicus problem.

Here's a screenshot of my GameData folder5ud5hdw.png

On 8/25/2019 at 5:00 PM, Jognt said:

If any of you use Kopernicus, check the link in my signature. There's a known issue with the current release of Kopernicus that can cause massive lag (scales with partcount, moar parts = moar FPS loss).

I’m not sure of a better way to tag you guys, so sorry for the scroll

Edited by Rockmonster0921

After further trawling I found this patch that _may_ make a difference (with the latest Kopernicus)

from here: https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/issues/365

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	@Body:HAS[!Template[Jool],~name[Sun],!Ocean]
	{
		%Ocean
		{
			%maxQuadLengthPerFrame=0.03
		}
	}
}

I'll test it shortly but I thought I'd post it here now..

edit, an update came out 6 days ago.. will try that first..

Edited by bunjatec

22 minutes ago, bunjatec said:

After further trawling I found this patch that _may_ make a difference (with the latest Kopernicus)

from here: https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/issues/365

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	@Body:HAS[!Template[Jool],~name[Sun],!Ocean]
	{
		%Ocean
		{
			%maxQuadLengthPerFrame=0.03
		}
	}
}

That code helped me in the past greatly. I think I used a different but similar one the only weird thing was Minimus had puddles.

Edited by KIMCHI

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.