Ekranoplan

I continued a little work on a Wing-in-Ground Effect craft - I abandoned efforts on the more visually accurate A-90 Orlyonok and went back to my first attempt which flew better and was somewhat simpler.  Not sure what I did, but I managed to make it fly worse - but still better than the second design.

Coming in to land on the water, all went well

VhnA4VA.png?1

First water takeoff went ok as well:

IuANSga.png?1

Second water landing, not so much.  The plane snapped around so hard the cockpit was offset from the center line.   A previous attempt actually broke the cockpit off & dropped it into the cargo bay, but I didn't get any pics of that one

JBQ9XsJ.png?1

More testing & crashing.  I first tried moving the tail turboprop down the the middle of the tail, then swapped it out with first one, then a pair of tail Wheesleys.  I also changed to stock gear and adjusted the mounting after I got stuck trying to taxi back onto the runway after a successful (the first!!) landing on solid ground.

Last flight on turboprop power:

yAVpi5V.png?1

The tail Wheesley works better:

TOJ3gvC.png?1

First landing on land:

VLgTbtb.png?1

T19Z6Y6.png?1

Another change - dropped the wing tip water rudders in favor of a centerline strake & rudder.  Works best if you lock the water rudder before water take-offs.

RgVQtej.png?1

First successful landing on land - got stuck trying to climb on the runway

hv9fTSq.png?1

Upgrade to twin tail Wheesleys and taller gear

X2mz5ie.png?1

Semi-final version - I was able to maintain this with just the tail engines for more than a few seconds.  Granted, its much higher than a true WIG ship but I've noticed when I get lower, I start slowing significantly and occasionally see splashes like the game thinks some part of the plane is in the water

6Ypofcx.png?1

It only flies on 2, the nose engines are for takeoff and set to an action group to toggle on/off.  And this has all been with an empty cargo bay. 

Also, I really think something got messed up in the design, because the very first design did "ok" - around 85 m/s on the turboprop at <20m, but it was hard to control - especially on the water.  When I started trying to improve it, it started losing speed down low like something was dragging in the water, as well as the random splashes I see in front of me during low altitude flight.  At 10m, it doesn't want to do over 60 m/s with all 4 jets running now.   Oddly, it seems to handle flying over land better than over water.   I "think" I still have the original design saved and I'm going to try reloading it and see how it performs.

Edit:  I found the original, and I was correct - it holds about 85-90 m/s on the turboprop alone at 10-20m above water, no random splashes like something invisible is hitting the water, no sudden loss of 30 m/s airspeed at 10m altitude.  Something is messed up on the "new & improved" design.  Its not simply a matter of the new design getting heavier - the old design is 73.16 tons and the new one is 75.75, and almost all of that is the second tail engine & nacelle

Original design flying like it should - if it could maneuver in the water at all, I would be tempted to just leave it "as is" after all the trouble I've had "improving" it, only to come back to where I started

jGH75iS.png?1

Edited by Cavscout74

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.