Will KSP 2 use SI units for resources?

11 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Isn't SI the same as the metric system?

I think you missed my point. There are many industries in the US that have to deal with SI outside of engineering and science. One off the top of my head is international shipping of goods. Having to convert weights, volumes, lengths for SI to imperial and vice versa. 

SI is the unit system, metric is the counting system. SI is a version of a metric system, with as base units second, kilogram, ampere, kelvin, mole and caldera. In for example quantum mechanics another system is used like Lorentz–Heaviside units (which changes the base values so that the electric and magnetic permeability in vacuum are defined to be 1), which is still metric. Metric means you use the prefixes "kilo-, mega-" etc. You could also define a metric system based on miles. (Though knots then isn't a standard unit).

52 minutes ago, paul23 said:

SI is the unit system, metric is the counting system. SI is a version of a metric system, with as base units second, kilogram, ampere, kelvin, mole and caldera. In for example quantum mechanics another system is used like Lorentz–Heaviside units (which changes the base values so that the electric and magnetic permeability in vacuum are defined to be 1), which is still metric. Metric means you use the prefixes "kilo-, mega-" etc. You could also define a metric system based on miles. (Though knots then isn't a standard unit).

Do you have a source for this?  It would be interesting if true, but it contradicts basically everything I've ever seen on it - in which SI is basically a slightly refined version (and renaming) of the metric system, based on the kilogram, the meter, etc.

If you look here it will note "variants": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system#Historical_variants Now the exact definition what is metric is based on the professor and professional you ask. However things like the heaviside system are still considered to be "metric" by those who use it, since it uses the decimal system and 10^3 steps between prefixes. (Instead of variable or otherwise non powers of 10)

1 hour ago, paul23 said:

It's funny, when I search for metric conversion charts and SI conversion charts I keep seeing the same images. 

6 minutes ago, paul23 said:

If you look here it will note "variants": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system#Historical_variants Now the exact definition what is metric is based on the professor and professional you ask. However things like the heaviside system are still considered to be "metric" by those who use it, since it uses the decimal system and 10^3 steps between prefixes. (Instead of variable or otherwise non powers of 10)

This is from the very beginning of the article you linked above.

"The metric system is an internationally recognised decimalised system of measurement. It is in widespread use, and where it is adopted, it is the only or most common system of weights and measures (see metrication). It is now known as the International System of Units (SI). It is used to measure everyday things such as the mass of a sack of flour, the height of a person, the speed of a car, and the volume of fuel in its tank. It is also used in science, industry and trade."

Granted, there will be variations and clarifications from time to time, but SI is the metric system.

I'd like it to be a toggetable option in the game settings.

Long ago, KSP had Celsius for temperature in-game, I miss that to this day.  Never could get a good mod for it.
Same for speed, if clicking on the speed meter of your vehicle you swapped from KPH, MPH, Knots, and back again to m/s,,, That would be awesome.  I'd love to see my rover in KPH.

It's not a deal breaker, but why not.

3 hours ago, Francois424 said:

Long ago, KSP had Celsius for temperature in-game, I miss that to this day.  Never could get a good mod for it.
Same for speed, if clicking on the speed meter of your vehicle you swapped from KPH, MPH, Knots, and back again to m/s,,, That would be awesome.  I'd love to see my rover in KPH.

I hope whatever they pick it's moddable, but for that to work we need real units of some sort.  Good luck converting EC into a real world unit.

11 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Isn't SI the same as the metric system?

I think you missed my point. There are many industries in the US that have to deal with SI outside of engineering and science. One off the top of my head is international shipping of goods. Having to convert weights, volumes, lengths for SI to imperial and vice versa. 

Shipping is mostly done with containers these days, which are funnily enough measured in foot and inches.

But there is serious pain with refrigerated containers, which get shipped internationally and thus have their set points in Celsius, Something shipping companies keep emphasizing to their customers, who keep insisting shipping their meat at a balmy 15° because, well, that’s frozen in Fahrenheit.

4 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Shipping is mostly done with containers these days, which are funnily enough measured in foot and inches.

Very true, but another pain is road weight limits. A 20' container can have a road weight limit of 22,000 pounds but a shipper loads 18,000 kg and says it's below the max you said. Of course they don't realize that it's above the weight limits for all freight traffic. Fun times and expenses after that point.

12 hours ago, Francois424 said:

Take a look at:

(Though I think we're starting to get a bit off-topic here.)