Help on making first part (1. node_collider problem, 2. how to make it snap to obj.)

So I have a simple aerospike-like part:

308a9d431f9d9d4ad11df05d8fdee97a.png

With a node_collider object on it, just how the tutorial said to do:

a2a6321e1e6b0d7cfd43cf93f8d96fa0.png

Here's how it turns out in the PartLab:

8b8e21442122930780b499a2da6dec5b.png

What am I doing wrong? And how do I make objects be able to be snapped onto other objects? Are there any tutorials on how to do KSP parts correctly? Any help is appreciated!

Edited by longbyte1

What kind of 3d programm do you use for modelling? If 3ds max, then i can help with it (to explain all the stuff).

But anyway, its much easier to make collision mesh another way. All you need is just Unity and partTools by Developers. Then you need create 2 meshes in you 3d program (first is actual high-detailed part with textures and such, and second is your collision mesh (must be convex or composite concave by many convexes - this can be done using plugins for your 3d-programm or by hands). These 2 meshes should be one over another, but separate. And then you just export them like that in Unity.

After importing into Unity, you need to do several things. I've made a picture for you:

Screenshot_420.jpg

Thats it. Its only some minor actions left - like attach textures, convert all this stuff into .mu 3d files and create a config file and your first part ready, working great and makes everybodys bleed from awesomeness =)

Edited by quadro7f
errors corrections

What kind of 3d programm do you use for modelling? If 3ds max, then i can help with it (to explain all the stuff).

But anyway, its much easier to make collision mesh another way. All you need is just Unity and partTools by Developers. Then you need create 2 meshes in you 3d program (first is actual high-detailed part with textures and such, and second is your collision mesh (must be convex or composite concave by many convexes - this can be done using plugins for your 3d-programm or by hands). These 2 meshes should be one over another, but separate. And then you just export them like that in Unity.

After importing into Unity, you need to do several things. I've made a picture for you:

Screenshot_420.jpg

Thats it. Its only some minor actions left - like attach textures, convert all this stuff into .mu 3d files and create a config file and your first part ready, working great and makes everybodys bleed from awesomeness =)

I use Blender, and I'm familiar with the essentials. However, I don't have Unity installed, nor do I know how to use it.

I use Blender, and I'm familiar with the essentials. However, I don't have Unity installed, nor do I know how to use it.

Its ok, no matter what programm you using, the main principles are always the same. And all magic happens in Unity.

BTW, Unity is really simple, even my cat could easily study it in about 3 hours or so, if wouldn't been so lazy and fat (30 kg).

So, i recommend to download it (its free) and part tools as well (somewhere near in this forum).

Edited by quadro7f

Screenshot_420.jpg

hello, one a doubt with Unity, as export to .dae or .mu?

Is it recomended to use two different meshes?? and what advantage it give over one mesh.??

Screenshot_420.jpg

Is it recomended to use two different meshes?? and what advantage it give over one mesh.??

Well, it all depends on part complexity. If you part has a lot of corners and non-easy shape, then you would need not two, but way more meshes. And of course, if part box-shaped, for example, then you could use a single mesh only. I just showed an example of using several meshes. Plus, using you own meshes for collision detection provides more flexibility, because you have full control over mesh you need.

Here is example of collision meshes for just one part, i making, they working as one structure:

Screenshot_425.jpg

Edited by quadro7f

• 2 weeks later...

Screenshot_420.jpg

you have just remedied about 6 months of fustration... so stinking simple it makes me want to throw my comp. but I did this and while my part highlights when I mouse over it I still can't grab in in the VAB... any idea's as to what I am missing??

...and while my part highlights when I mouse over it I still can't grab in in the VAB... any idea's as to what I am missing??

I had the same problem...not sure what solved it, but here are a few things I did :

1) Moved the object to the origin In Unity ( Position [0,0,0])

2) Applied material on the collision mesh (?)

I can't remember if I did something else, im really not a 3d guy, just wanted to retexture the RCS tanks to test a plugin and it tooks me like 1 day :D

you have just remedied about 6 months of fustration... so stinking simple it makes me want to throw my comp. but I did this and while my part highlights when I mouse over it I still can't grab in in the VAB... any idea's as to what I am missing??

If you cant grab your part, then its usually because of something wrong with collision mesh. Check its settings in Unity once more time. Also, it is good idea to set collision mesh just before export (as last action).

Check you scale factor everythere - on part's unity import settings (default is 0.01, but maybe you using different one, for example, i using 0.45), and in parts config text file - there also should be your value in the scale string (the same one - 0.01 or whatever).

As dikkjo said, check you position coordinates - should be 0,0,0, And each objects "Prior points" should be in the center of each mesh. And applying material (just blank) could help as well, if you didnt done this in 3d program before.

P.S. Dont forget to set tick on the Mesh collider Component just after the green icon :D

Edited by quadro7f

Is it possible to make attachment nodes in unity instead of the cfg file?

I dont think so.

But you can make this in 3dmax using special Get-Vector script. You can check and get it here (step 5 of C7's guide). But before using script, make sure what your prior points are set correctly, and your main mesh prior point is centered to 0,0,0 of absolute coordinates.

Of course you will need to copy this values to config text file anyway, but using this method you could easily create, for example, 4 attachment nodes for less than 40 seconds with 0.0001 precision.

yea I'm using blender. Is there a way to find the coordinates for them? right now I am just guessing and that is really annoying.

Sorry, i cant help with Blender. But there should be some kinda ruler or straightedge-like tools. Maybe people who works in Blender could help.

Also you could try to set you detail to the center, and then create some sphere as node, and then just watch its XYZ coordinates then try to copy them into config file. This should work in theory, at least if you have units measurements set to "Meters".

It's strange because xyz seems to change orientation for every program.

This is not big problem, just try to change their order and polarity and see whats happens in game. Sooner or later you would find right combination and then use this all the time.

yea I'm using blender. Is there a way to find the coordinates for them? right now I am just guessing and that is really annoying.

I had this problem to but DYJ explained to me that you can select a face or vertex in edit mode and then press the N key to view its exact position. It really helps setting up the nodes this way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.