[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

I always wondered why FAR doesn't use the game's stock ASAS and relies on it's own. Wouldn't be better to make it rework or replace the ASAS code to make the mode better integrated with stock? I think one of the reasons people steer away from the mod is that as soon as they turn ASAS on and see their plane oscillating erratically...You know the drill.

FAR will work with the stock SAS but your mileage may vary. After all, you'll need it at least once you get into space. But if there's something I've learned about FAR specifically, it allows you to build planes you can fly without it. The most common assist I make use of is the wing leveler, you can use trim to handle pretty much everything else. Just don't get it confused with SAS, the assists aren't really 'fire and forget', you need to use the ones you need when you need them. Just leaving them all on isn't going to help you much.

Oh, but remember to turn off the wing leveler on the ground and in space, it has some WILD opinions in those situations.

@Hyomoto: I can look into possibly adding some RPM support, but I have no experience with it at all. I actually haven't gotten around to playing with it since I'm very selective in the mods that I install. I hope that Mihara's code allows for easy implementation of 3rd-party stuff.

It does, that was the important part from early on. I try to keep the API stable too and it's sure to stay around because RPM uses it internally all the time. You don't have to have a hard dependency on RPM to interface with it, you just need to provide modules with certain public methods that RPM will then instantiate as needed, and it will gracefully fail if it can't:

https://github.com/Mihara/RasterPropMonitor/wiki/Page-handlers

https://github.com/Mihara/RasterPropMonitor/wiki/Variable-handlers

https://github.com/Mihara/RasterPropMonitor/wiki/Background-handlers

https://github.com/Mihara/RasterPropMonitor/wiki/Action-handlers

Made it :) Blackbird-like delta winged beauty with scramjets. Can put itself into orbit by just going forwards at full burn. Low speeds are taken care of by leading edge flaps. Transonic is terrible (mach tuck is huge ! i'll have to investigate why, delta wings are supposed to counter that effect somehow) but once over mach 2 things look good again, when i switch the engines to ramjet mode.

Ascent:

rUAkMJU.jpg

g5Mts9Q.jpg

Scramjet mode:

I9agWsn.jpg

Notice the chimes:

LXumCkP.jpg

I didnt make use of the full set of tricks the SR-71 did, p-wings can do so much only :) Also notice the raised tail with small chimes around it, that's needed to balance out mach tuck.

It's got too much dutch roll for my taste, but i spent too many hours on it already :P

Edited by Surefoot

I'm thinking of finally installing this mod, I want to make fairings useful (and make my life a little more challenging)!

Does it take up much/any RAM? I'm using at least 35 mods (including interstellar)

Edited by Boamere

OK, question for all you MechJeb users... How do you set up your ascent autopilot? I just did my first launch with FAR and the autopilot... Let's just say it was a good thing I had a LAS system aboard!!!

Highly depends on your rocket. Generally you want your gravity turn to start when you go at 100m/s, usually about 500-700m so 0.5-0.7 turn start. I end mine at about 40 or so km, it works great for low-ish TWR rockets (1.2-1.5). Turn shape between 60 and 70 degrees. Detach fairings at 50 or so km, unless you're carrying a microwave transmitter from KSPI in which case make sure you exit the atmosphere before detaching fairings because they cause extreme drag and will likely explode instantly even at 68km.

@MaverickSawyer: With good TWR (1.4+) you can use about 55% profile starting at 0 ending 70km, of course tweaking this is integral part of the fun. Heavier rockets with lower TWR need steeper ascent. You know you have a good profile if you stay within the prograde marker during the ascent (or very close to it).

Depends on the aircraft. Normal jet engines get more efficient with altitude. Piston engines stay about the same. However, Ramjets and Scramjets get more efficient with speed and remain about the same with altitude, however the limiting factor with them is heat. The lower altitudes cause these types of engines to get hot much faster due to air friction thus they are only really good once you get into the upper atmosphere where you can go faster with less air friction.

Not air friction, but air compression, heats things at high speeds. IRL, this is really only an issue past the sound barrier because the air can't get out of the way fast enough and as a result "piles up" in front of the object causing it to compress. this compression heats the air and that heat is transferred to the object.

Bum, it destroys your interstellar microwave receivers? I was using them for heavy launch capabilities

The big foldable one yes, it causes my 45t satellite to fall at under 3m/s and even at 68km it will instantly explode/detach from the rocket. I think the non-foldable one is fine, the small receiver works fine guaranteed unless your craft is very small.

OK, question for all you MechJeb users... How do you set up your ascent autopilot? I just did my first launch with FAR and the autopilot... Let's just say it was a good thing I had a LAS system aboard!!!

I don't use MechJeb for ascents, but I gradually pitchover by 5° at 500m or 100m/s with the goal of getting the velocity vector to 0° at around 40km. The atmosphere above 40km is near vacuum (watch FAR's density readout) so you can start putting more energy into increasing your orbital velocity without worrying about drag losses.

@SnappingTurtle: I think you're correct. I'll look into fixing that.

@Boamere: That gets printed to the output_log when you ALT-TAB out of the game. Your lag is probably due to too many mods or a very underpowered computer.

@SnappingTurtle: I think you're correct. I'll look into fixing that.

@Boamere: That gets printed to the output_log when you ALT-TAB out of the game. Your lag is probably due to too many mods or a very underpowered computer.

Aha alt-tabbing does seem to be the case :P (it wasn't serious anyway, I just got scared when I saw all the skipped rendering frames)

Thanks Ferram :) , also for rockets when would you advise turning? straight away?

The big foldable one yes, it causes my 45t satellite to fall at under 3m/s and even at 68km it will instantly explode/detach from the rocket. I think the non-foldable one is fine, the small receiver works fine guaranteed unless your craft is very small.

Oh well I'll find a workaround XD

for those who are new to this mod, i find that it is easiest to start your gravity turn not at a specific altitude but when your speed surpasses about 110 m/s (for me thats usually between 1km and 3.5km)

110ms, ok thanks :)

I kinda guessed my rocket was unstable when it flipped over because I turned too sharply XD

About 900m/s more efficient.

Even in stock ksp I use speed to judge my gravity turn. Never height. And I find even with FAR my stock formula still works. Start pitch at 100m/s. 25 degrees at 250m/s, 50 at 500m/s, 75 at 750, 90 at 1,000m/s. The lower the TWR the higher the speeds need to be at each interval. I use Mechjeb as well.. so its a smooth, gradual gravity turn. Its easy enough to fly manually, but too much input and the rocket will flip around.

It really doesn't matter to me ;) I have rockets powerful enough to get to space with their first stage (depending on what they're carrying) so I don't mind what the ascent is like

(but when I do I just use SAS and turn when it "feels right")

And yeah rockets do seem to "Fly" through the air, very smooth, nice feeling

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.