Internal view causing space station physics error

Evening all,

I have just started up a space station after finally learning how to dock, however, I went into internal view to see the inside, out the window etc, but when I did, the whole space station tried to flip itself despite having SAS set on prograde to keep a steady orientation.

I originally thought it was something to do with the letter C being combined with a control plane so tried just clicking next to my Kerbal "internal camera" but I get the same effect.

This is a screenshot of the KSS I have started: https://imgur.com/a/OCVpXGM

At a guess what is happening is that  when you switch to the internal view, the control point is changing to that of the cabin you are viewing from.

With SAS set to prograde this then tries to rotate the station so that the cockpit is prograde rather than the previous control point.

Edit: Just tested and this seems to be the case even for cabins which do not normally act as control points.  best solution is to set SAS to stability hold before switching to IVA

Edited by Rhomphaia

As @Rhomphaia said, the default behavior is for the point of control to switch to whichever command module you are in when turning on IVA view. I guess the game assumes that you are trying to fly the vessel from there.

There is a setting in the main menu to disable this. Under the General / Gameplay settings you'll need to uncheck the setting for "Retain Control Point on Enter IVA"

From the KSP wiki:

Retain Control Point on Enter IVA

This setting controls whether or not going on IVA will change the method of control from the original root part to the part currently being viewed. The setting is useful to perform landings or flights directly from the cockpit, but unorthodox vessels with control sources facing in non-standard directions may find this a hindrance.

11 hours ago, Rhomphaia said:

At a guess what is happening is that  when you switch to the internal view, the control point is changing to that of the cabin you are viewing from.

Indeed!

This behavior is especially ... errrrrm ... interesting when you switch to a cabin in a rotating gravity ring.:o (One more reason to switch off SAS on space stations.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.