Does KSP load texture and model files if no .cfg file references them?

I'm trimming down some mods where I only use a handful of parts, but the mods come with dozens of assets.

What I want to know, in order to reduce how much KSP is loading, is whether:

(a) Are .mu files in GameData folders loaded, even if no part .cfg file refers to them?

(b) If the answer to (a) is yes, then, are texture files loaded if no .mu file references them?

It's easiest just to write a MM file to remove parts I don't use, but that won't help with load times if they are loaded anyway. If that's the case, renaming /mu files is also fairly easy.

But I'd rather not have to import dozens of .mu files to work out what materials they use to know what texture files to rename and which to keep if I don't have to...

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 10:48 AM, Cooper42 said:

I'm trimming down some mods where I only use a handful of parts, but the mods come with dozens of assets.

What I want to know, in order to reduce how much KSP is loading, is whether:

(a) Are .mu files in GameData folders loaded, even if no part .cfg file refers to them?

(b) If the answer to (a) is yes, then, are texture files loaded if no .mu file references them?

It's easiest just to write a MM file to remove parts I don't use, but that won't help with load times if they are loaded anyway. If that's the case, renaming /mu files is also fairly easy.

But I'd rather not have to import dozens of .mu files to work out what materials they use to know what texture files to rename and which to keep if I don't have to...

When making a MU in unity you tell it what textures to use for it to shows up in game right

57 minutes ago, hemeac said:

You may want to look at the Janitor's Closet as an option to help prune your assets that load into the game.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/147463-19x-end-your-parts-list-nightmare-introducing-the-janitors-closet/

LOL the mod just keeps them from being displayed but they still load up 

Description This mod will allow you to block parts from being displayed in the Editor, either on a soft basis or hard basis. The difference is that a soft basis doesn't do anything to the parts, it merely blocks the parts from being displayed. In this case, the parts are still loaded. This would be useful in an ongoing career, where you have ships with parts you don't use anymore, but are still active. A hard basis is where the files get renamed so that none of the parts or their assets will be loaded. This can speed up loading a game, but is potentially game-breaking, in that if you prune a part and it is in use on a vessel, the vessel will be deleted the next time you start the game. There is also the ability to export a list of all blocked parts, so that you can either import it into another game or send it to someone else.

9 minutes ago, hemeac said:

I haven't used it, but in the description you posted, it also blocks in a "hard basis" that should prevent the items from loading in the game.

I posted the description read it says parts 

parts from being displayed in the Editor

In this case, the parts are still loaded

A hard basis is where the files get renamed so that none of the parts or their assets will be loaded

but if i remember right you are picking them by mod not by part 

Edit- If you dont want a part why not just delete from the mod folder ? But you would have to watch it in some cases other parts might be using the assets of other parts

Edited by Mecripp

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.