Can't place Breaking Ground Surface Experiments

Like the title says. I can hover the part over the ground for placement, but I'm unable to actually place the part over the grounds when I press the spacebar. I do get a clicking sound, but no placement.

KSP.log file here

Do a search within the log for "Note:" to find where I made attempts (should come up three times).

I believe the relevant part is:

[EXC 15:36:43.244] NullReferenceException
	ModuleInventoryPart+<CreatePartObject>d__65.MoveNext () (at <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0)
	UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

I assume its a mod causing the issue, but I'm not sure which.

What's causing the problem?

Edited by EchoLima

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been trying to troubleshoot the exact same issue lately. I finally tracked it down to being related to the PartInfo mod adding it’s module to some of the parts used for the deployable science experiments, just in time for an update to that mod (v0.0.3.2) being released that fixes it.

If you aren’t using PartInfo, it might be another mod that is adding an additional module to those parts. Based on the fix applied to PartInfo, it looks like the part names that start with “Deployed” are the ones that caused the problem when additional modules were added. If you aren’t sure what mod might be doing this, you can look for these parts (such as “DeployedCentralStation”) in your ModuleManager.ConfigCache file and see what modules are present, and try to trace it back from there. With the fixed version of PartInfo installed, I only show two modules on the “Deployed*” parts I checked - ModuleGroundExperiment and ModuleAnimationGroup. If you have any more than that, that’s probably where the problem is stemming from.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve reported this as a bug for NodeHelper; it looks like it needs the same fix as PartInfo needed. If you want to use NodeHelper before the fix gets released, you can change its part patch file in GameData\NodeHelper\Configs\NM_PartInfo.cfg. Replace line 3 that says:

@PART[*]:NEEDS[!PartInfo]:Final

With this instead:

@PART[*]:HAS[~name[TCAModule*],~name[Deployed*]]:NEEDS[!PartInfo]:FINAL

This is based on the fix to PartInfo, and should resolve an issue it apparently causes with ThrottleControlledAvionics parts as well, though I haven’t tested that part.

Alternatively, because NodeHelper already doesn’t apply its change if you have PartInfo installed, and PartInfo already has the fix released, installing PartInfo would effectively fix the issue with NodeHelper as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.