KAL-1000 Output Position Interpolation

I would really like to see position interpolation for KAL-1000 controllers.

For example, the existing stock flaps/tails/etc can interpolate between control inputs for roll, pitch and yaw. If binding the KAL-1000 to for example the pitch axis, that controller and only that controller can modify the active position of the flap, and hence the flap can only be used for pitch control.

It would be much more useful if KAL-1000 controllers could be engaged, and disengaged with action groups, and simultaneously if multiple controllers with the sample priority, controlling the same part, would have their part control position interpolated. This means that if you had two KAL-1000 controllers with the same priority, one set for pitch, and one set for roll, that when they both try to control the same part (flap, tail, etc) that they would find the best "inbetween" position. Effectively allowing you to simultaneously control one part with two controllers.

Also is it possible to bind a KAL-1000 to the autopilot? So for example a KAL-1000 controller can control a servo with respect to holding prograde/retrograde/etc? Additionally KAL-1000 controllers bound to specific control axes hold their position and do not return to neutral when control input is removed. Is there a way to set them to return to neutral automatically if no autopilot is engaged?

Kind Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to echo Noxissist, make a KAL-1000 that allows for variable inputs instead of playing a track.  Autopilots, FADECs for turbo shaft engines, controlling the fins on my SpaceX Starship reproduction while in belly flop phase of flight.  That would be monumental.

That would be awesome, i have struggled so much trying to make a KAL controlled rocket (even just trying to hit the runway island with it). The idea was to make a rocket without  any capsule/probe control on it

So check this out, I made this video a while back, even before making this post, and was one of the things I have designed that made it clear that we need to be able to activate and deactivate KAL-1000 controllers with action groups.

Starship Mini - Lunar Lander Launch and Return Mission - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jQI3z99Fk8

I designed the craft with three main "modes":
- takeoff
- reentry
- landing

Each of the modes are "activated" by playing a specific KAL-1000 controller for that mode, while pausing the other controllers. It kind of has the effect of allowing each mode to activated individually, although it's an odd work around. The controllers (and hence flaps) also do not automatically return to a neutral position like the space-plane flaps and are not linked to the autopilot.

You will be able to see from the video, why the interpolation is needed for advanced craft designs. When trying to land the "Starship Mini" there is only one controller active, and it can only control pitch. The roll and yaw axis control are non-existent and the craft only really maintains those orientations because of it's inherent stability.

It would be awesome to be able to mount the main probe core to a hinge, and have the flaps attached to the autopilot via the KAL-1000 controllers, then simply setting probe core relative angle with the hinge and with the autopilot for example prograde, will set the desired craft pitch, and the autopilot can do the hard work of controlling the flaps to maintain orientation.

Enjoy the video, it's short and sweet, and the landing nicely illustrates what I am talking about with KAL-1000 controller interpolation.

Kind Regards,

• 4 months later...

I would like to ask if there are ways or methods that could KAL- 1000 controller could automatically adjust a part's position. For example, a flap like the starship made out of hinges that would automatically adjust into a different angle when the ship's position would alter or move. It would be the same with airbrakes that would adjust its yaw, pitch, and roll in order to have a steady flight shown in a video of Tim (Everyday Astronaut)  1:10:00.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.