Modpacks vs Dependencies?

I'm considering making a mod that revamps stock career economy, contracts, and other similar things, but to do this it needs other mods to build off of-- like, for example, Waypoint Manager, Contract Configurator, and a few others.

Are there any rules or policies on making modpacks or dependencies? And which one is better to use?

You are free to declare any dependencies. Regarding merging different mods, you need first to validate with each mod author that you are allowed to do so. So the first option is easier to start with.

For an end-user without any mods, and maybe no mod manager, a modpack is probably easier to use. But as soon as the end-user has already at least one mod already installed, working with dependencies is better because conflicts can be detected and sometimes solved.

So If I were in your place, I would start with dependencies. With CKAN, it is well managed. Furthermore, you may create 'soft' dependencies ie recommendations. 

Edited by DunaColonist

Modpacking is bad for two reasons.

1) You need to make sure you are allowed to pack used mods.

2) If a critical bug is detected and fixed in a dependency, you only may need to check if the new version works OK with your mod. If you are modpacking, you will have to update the pack.

Don't do it, please ;)

44 minutes ago, DarthPointer said:

Modpacking is bad for two reasons.

1) You need to make sure you are allowed to pack used mods.

2) If a critical bug is detected and fixed in a dependency, you only may need to check if the new version works OK with your mod. If you are modpacking, you will have to update the pack.

Don't do it, please ;)

I think you can do something similar, while getting around the "modpack" idea by utilizing ckan?  Basically a config to include a number of mods together?  I don't actually use ckan but I thought people have done that before.

6 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

I think you can do something similar, while getting around the "modpack" idea by utilizing ckan?  Basically a config to include a number of mods together?  I don't actually use ckan but I thought people have done that before.

There are some pseudomods in CKAN that are used to download modpacks. You create a "mod definition" for CKAN, aka upload metadata. All "packed" mods are marked as dependencies (or recommendations if particular mod is a matter of choice). In terms of the thread's subjects, this is just a part "dependencies scenario".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.