Unmanned Data return from Mimnus

Daveroski

I tend to play vanilla mostly.

My current game has no Mods. It does have the two expansion packs and I decided to test the Hinges on this mission too. I used them as landing struts and as extenders to push out parts in an unnecessary manner.

The plan is to land a craft on Mimnus Get my data and complete the Explore Mimnus contract.
At the same time I will leave a relay station on the surface.

My target will be one of the poles of Mimnus with the idea that it will be in constant communication with Kerbin.

This is the craft that will make the trip.

rE3TcWK.png

Now to get it ready for the trip.

rtiAIfq.png

This ship uses asparagus staging It will first drop the top and bottom tanks and then the two side tanks.

x91OgOc.png

First the top and bottom tanks are emptied and dropped They also kept the central tank full of fuel.

5E2LJeH.png

Then the two side tanks are dropped when empty. They also kept the central tank full.

NWhYqLZ.png

Finally the central tank is dropped and we are left with the craft that will actually make the trip to Mimnus.

BsAM9dF.png

Here I tested the hinges by pushing out the Coms and Solar Panels. It has to make the trip with them fully extended and make the landing too.

srLswWi.png

Course plotted. Yes I'm really going to fly all the way there and not use the magic to instantly get me there. Some of us like to do things the old fashioned way. :)

4TkStus.png

I may not hit it on the nail but sometimes if the ball lands in the garden it can make him just as angry as it would if it hit the window. Close enough I hoped and it seemd to work out alright.

zSi0HDB.png

Setting the obit after arrival.

dVpn8m6.png

Here I have marked a couple of waypoints somewhere between the two should be good.

Nex8VNa.png

Get rid of the engine and tank that brought us here.
Now we are ready to attempt a landing.

A8AqUzy.png

Got to keep an eye out for the slopes. Some of them can make landing problematic.

PVEkDCm.png

Looking around before final descent.

o5MF0SP.png

A bit of a slope but manageable. The Hinges seem to make better landing struts than Landing Struts. Which is nice.

Vre1yzX.png

Gather my data.

qQ8JuOr.png

Save the data for the return trip and turn off the engine on the landing craft. Then I can raise the throttle a few notches and when I hit staging the return pod should launch.

HBR0tYV.png

On our way home. Now it gets interesting.

SDarZtb.png

I have set the target to be inside Kerbins atmosphere. The idea is I burn this node and then drop the remaining fuel and engines before hitting the atmosphere.
No slowing down. No getting into orbit first.

Fb1JfYe.png

Firing the node and letting you have a closer look at the return stage. It carries the fuel engines coms and solar panels.

QCbVFyZ.png

Preparing to drop the fuel and engines. I will then have only the remaining power in the pod section so that it's gyros can keep the pod pointing in the right direction.
We Hope.

eHu0SQB.png

Not going so fast right now but I suspect we will speed up considerably as we get further in the gravity well.
The chutes are set to auto-pop so now we just wait and see.

XGXDFo0.png

Picking up some heat and our speed is most certainly increasing.

0uMVfYX.png

Getting some air resistance starting to slow us down but it's also getting hotter.

bdGR6gO.png

It seems the heat shield did its thing and we are cooling and slowing.

JtnOqA2.png

Of course it's on the dark side so visabilty is poor. The glow just faded and the chutes will pop any time now.

9FTegM0.png

Even in the dark, That is a lovely sight.

qp2wpvN.png

Here I am concerned that it may not float and end up being crushed by preassure.

5a6Qjmq.png

She's a bit keel heavy but retrievable.

OVKXePO.png

Looks like we might get something nice for crimbo eh?

vPgOsQG.png

KPJng31.png

Contract complete! Jolly good!

I hope you found this report interesting and possibly inspirational.

D.

Well done, nice trip!

If you want a polar orbit, there is a little trick you can do. On about 1/3 theway there:

1. Burn either normal or antinormal to make the Pe around 15,000m (its not too important what it is yet)
2. Burn either retrograde or prograde to minimise the Pe, in fact it might disappear ie put you on a collision course.
3. Burn normal/antinormal until you once again have a Pe, make it (say) 15000m
----Repeat 2 - 3 until the burn for retro or prograde in 2 is at a minimum value, at that point any burn in either pro/retro makes it more ----
4. Burn normal/antinormal to'set' the Pe to say 10,000m

What this does, basically, is puts your approach at the 'top' (or bottom if you antinormal in steps 1&3) of the body you're aiming for.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.