Cheap rocket to Moho and Eeloo

camacju

So I'm trying to practice abuse of gravity assists and to do that I want to send a Kerbal to Eeloo and Moho for under 10000 funds.

The general plan:
-Have a solid fueled booster stage and a Terrier powered upper stage to send the spacecraft to orbit
-Have a Moho fuel tank, an Eeloo tank, and an Ant powered lander
-Use the booster to do most of a Mun transfer and use the Eeloo tanker's Spark engine to finish it (higher Isp than the Ant engine on the lander)

From here until Eve it's a pretty standard low energy Mun assist route.

-Mun assist to raise orbit into a resonance
-Second Mun assist to eject into a 6:5 resonance
-Six years later, encounter Kerbin and Mun again to get a 7:11 resonance, dropping orbit to Eve
-Seven years later, encounter Kerbin and Mun a third time, getting a plane change and fine tuning Eve encounter
-Eeloo tanker separates from the craft here
-Eeloo tank passes behind Eve, throwing it onto a Kerbin intercept
-Moho lander passes in front of Eve, lowering periapsis to Moho
-Moho lander gets Moho and Eve assists until its orbit is lower than Eve's orbit. At this point it performs a series of MESSENGER-style Moho assists to reduce its capture burn
-Eeloo tank gets Kerbin assists to Jool and captures around Jool using Tylo, waiting for a transfer window
-Eeloo tank transfers to Eeloo with a Tylo assist
-Moho lander lands on Moho and returns. It then performs another series of MESSENGER style assists for an Eve transfer
-Moho lander grabs assists from Eve and Kerbin to get to Jool, where it follows the same path to Eeloo
-Jeb lands on Eeloo and performs a Jool transfer
-After Kerbin, Eve, and Mun assists, Jeb splashes down at KSC

Part 1: Launch until Eeloo tank separation
CLnYNZI.png

Rocket is 9995 funds
ctz1hBx.png

I slightly stagger the solid rocket motors. If I fire them all at the same time, I reach too much speed in the lower atmosphere and things start burning. If I wait to fire the sustainer until the boosters are empty, I lose energy to gravity and drag. I end up firing the sustainer when the boosters are half empty, for a good balance between these two.

r5XTpxO.png

Gravity turn

AEldaBQ.png

I coast to the upper layers of the atmosphere to reduce drag and heat.

gNjuild.png

Circularization

vg5xfPf.png

Mun assists plotted

aWEzic2.png

I already have the Kerbin-Mun assist plotted before my second Mun assist

3VuCfRq.png

This will bend my trajectory around retrograde while also giving a boost from Mun

OcGeNFk.png

Finally, I get a plane change off Kerbin and Mun, and plot my Eve encounter

Wepdl00.png

Eeloo probe plots Kerbin encounters

9T0Rnjk.png

Separation

Next: Eeloo probe goes to Jool, Moho lander tries to imitate MESSENGER

Edited by camacju

OMmPFdK.png

The Moho lander sets up another Eve encounter at the descending node between Eve and Moho for a plane change and to lower the orbit until it's just below Moho's orbit at this point

nToSxS1.png

The two crafts swing around Eve in opposite directions

cfh2Cs6.png

Eve assist - plane change and lowering orbit

qmPFXtv.png

Jool encounter after a couple of Kerbin assists

5Isio16.png

Capturing around Jool, plan is to use the moons of Jool to get into a good loitering orbit to wait for the Eeloo transfer window

i7QdPY5.png

Moho assists 2 and 3 plotted

Next: Waiting for Eeloo transfer and more Moho assists

Edited by camacju

k6tnJBj.png

Moho assists 4 and 5

xf7l1Tt.png

Moho assist 6

S8qeyap.png

Moho assists 7 and 8

6WH5Ekz.png

Eeloo transfer

lbkq3QY.png

Eeloo capture

6UvhZIa.png

Moho assists 9 and 10. Now the orbit is really close to Moho's orbit, so I can capture on the next intersect.

BhHk3nl.png

450 m/s to capture, instead of 2000+ from a direct transfer. Much more efficient!

piJoJsw.png

Moho capture

w3DbMt2.png

In Moho orbit with half the tanker's fuel left.

x5A3kC7.png

Landed on Moho. The lander was designed to land and return, but only with a jetpack-less Kerbal. So I had to get out and push for my deorbit burn, and my margin was much smaller than I had anticipated.

Yo16CSl.png

Moho ascent

fcAXf16.png

Barely had enough fuel to get back to the fuel tank

9ESh2H3.png

Taking stock of fuel remaining. I have a lot more fuel than I expected from the Moho assists so I can do a direct Eve transfer. The FL-T200 will run out during the correction burns but I'll keep it since it has a solar panel on it.

EJtxTga.png

Eve assist puts me onto another Eve intersect two years later, and gives a plane change also

FETmSGf.png

Substantial correction burn so I intersect Kerbin's orbit at the descending node, where I'll do another plane change

Gaq88vr.png

Second Kerbin assist will put me onto an intercept with Jool

Next: Jool->Eeloo, rendezvous, landing

By the way, the route I took to Moho was based on something discovered by Chen-wan Yen in 1985. Yen used two Venus gravity assists, one to lower the orbit and one to get a plane change, followed by several Mercury assists and deep space maneuvers on the opposite side of the orbit. In this manner, the delta-v needed to capture around Mercury was substantially lessened. In effect, this technique multiplies the effectiveness of your deep space maneuvers while also splitting the long burn up to reduce gravity losses.

SQb8MOK.png

Using Tylo and Vall to capture around Jool

RgdrCLs.png

Tylo assist

YYeLKVl.png

Eeloo intercept

WGhNLOz.png

Rendezvous with tanker

wlXlxeU.png

In low Eeloo orbit

jnjs86d.png

Descent

T8lEXHy.png

Landed on Eeloo!

OUYnSx4.png

Ascent

FxOoWCO.png

In orbit around Eeloo

K0Jju8W.png

Docked with fuel tanker

5ppNelK.png

I got a very low cost Jool transfer but I had to wait 40 years. But what's 40 years in a >210 year mission?

r0mvHDt.png

Using Tylo to swing around retrograde and also get a plane change

lWfvyB4.png

I need to use almost all of my gravity assist from Tylo in order to do the plane change, so I can't go to Kerbin directly. Even if I could, I wouldn't, since the reentry is far too fast for the unshielded kerbal to survive. So I bleed off speed using an Ike assist followed by a Duna aerobrake - Duna's cold atmosphere is much easier to scrub velocity.

EZxZ08h.png

Surprisingly enough, there aren't any temperature gauges showing up.

atvQ0yh.png

Transfer from Duna to Kerbin

bwjuQXf.png

Reducing fuel consumption or speed is entirely unnecessary at this point - I have enough fuel for a propulsive capture. However, it can't hurt to do more gravity assists. A Mun assist reduces my velocity relative to Kerbin.

aJwbNrz.png

This means that I can capture purely through aerobraking, even if the Spark engine did get a little toasty.

MjtgG3Z.png

Second aerobrake - still getting a bit hot. I'm pointing normal to scrub off velocity faster in the upper atmosphere. Pointing prograde will shield the kerbal behind the large fuel tank so I don't have to worry about heat here.

twTuYnG.png

I attempt to land on the VAB but the lander is simply too heavy for just a kerbal parachute. Plus it's extremely hard to control.

hFVWhRt.png

In the end, I simply bail out and land on the KSC grounds.

We have landed on Moho, and then landed on Eeloo, and then come back to Kerbin, all with a rocket that costs less than 10000 funds. The mission used 42 gravity assists and took over 210 years. Good thing kerbals don't age

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.