Newbie - why does it take so long to load KSP? It looks like it is re-installing every time

paynterf

Windows 10, non-Steam version.  When I click Play, I get the 'Do you want to allow this app to make changes....?' dialog.  I click OK, and then KSP seems to take forever to load everything up.  If I come back the next day and want to play again, I have to go through the same procedure (and delay).  Why is this?  

Frank

11 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

The only thing to check is if you have any unused but not disabled network adapters (firewire is a classic case).

What does an unused adaptor have to do with the way KSP loads up?

9 hours ago, paynterf said:

What does an unused adaptor have to do with the way KSP loads up?

Good question.

It appears that Unity performs some form av sweep for possible drives, including network ones.

So if there's unused but not disabled network adapter it hangs for quite some time before giving up.

On 5/15/2021 at 3:14 AM, paynterf said:

When I click Play, I get the 'Do you want to allow this app to make changes....?' dialog.

That sounds like a message from the file 'Launcher.exe'.  Launcher never worked for me, getting stuck somewhere before starting KSP.exe, so I start KSP.exe itself. (Starting KSP takes a bit over 2 minutes for my Thinkpad L460 laptop with a hybrid drive.)

I've been reading this forum for years and somehow got the idea that Launcher.exe never works for anyone.  Maybe the problem that prevented it from completing for me, makes loading take longer for you.

I thought launcher.exe was the steam one? Might be wrong.

OP, what sort of times are you talking about? Anything from 1 min through to 30 mins (yes 30) is considered ‘normal’ for KSP depending on your setup/mods etc.