BenjisHardwiredLogic

Version:

v1.2.2

Dependencies:

ModuleManager.4.2.2.dll

Download:

Github - SpacedockSourcecode

Installation:

Simply drag the folder BenjisHardwiredLogic into your GameData folder.

Description:

A ksp mod to "hardwire"-logic into rocket designs.
(At this point: decoupler-staging, fairing-separation and engine/rcs-ignition).
Every engine, decoupler or fairing is now disabled by default and can be enabled/disabled by the push of a button in the editor's PAW.
Decouplers and also Fairingbases can have a delay assigned (up to 30min 59.9sec).
The same for Engines (solid and "liquid") and RCS thrusters.
Procedural Fairings (only RO, not the squad basegame thingies) can have a height between 0 and 140 km assigned.
Every other value will start counting down once the launchclamps are released.
When reaching 0min 0.0s the decoupler will automatically decouple, the engine light up and the RCS become active.
Fairings automatically separate at the set height (above sealevel).
If the messaging system is activated, 3 pre messages at -10s, -5s and -2s will be shown on screen.
Also a on screen message at the actual decoupling, ignition or fairing separation are shown.
This will save a lot of space in the StagingList because the whole launcher can be put into 3 stages (or 2, if the 1st stage Engine is immidiatly at 100%, for example if you're using a SolidMotor).
But maybe you should just leave your StagingList the way it always was. Else you mess up all the dV and burntime readouts (KER and MJ). The other upside is, you can always stage, decouple and separate fairings ahead of countdown (in case of engine failures). This mod does not prevent that.

Example (of your standard launcher):

Stages 0-4

un-automated payload-stuff, whatever you wanna put into space...

Stage 5

2x radialDecouplers connected to the solidMotors (delayed for 30.5sec)
        2ndStageEngine (2min burntime) (delayed for 1min 3.8sec)
        2ndStageDecoupler between 1st and 2nd stage (delayed for 1min 4.8sec)
        payloadDecoupler between 2nd stage and payload (delayed for 2min 4.0sec)
        procFairing (set for 90km)

Stage 6

launchClamps
        2x solidMotors (30s burntime)

Stage 7

1st stage engine (65s burntime)

So, let's look at what will happen, shall we?

First spacebar fires the main engine. Once that is spooled up, spacebar fires the solidMotors and releases the launchClamps. Now the countdowns will start. At 30.5s the solidMotors will decouple At 1min 3.8s the 2nd stage will fire. At 1min 4.8s the 1st stage will be decoupled, hopefully the 2nd stage is spooled up by now. At 90km the fairings will separate. 2 minutes 4 seconds after lift off: The payload will be decoupled from the 2nd stage.

Changelog:

v.1.2.2 - The "Correct me, if I'm wording things wrongly and please spin stabilize" release

-Aded a rare 4th Stage and Spin-Motor Option for Igniting and Decoupling
-Grammar update:
     - Editor: Igniting -> Ignite
     - Editor: Decoupling-> Decouple
     - Messaging: Jettison-> Jettisoning
     - RCS with its own correct grammar

v.1.2.1 - The "SHUT-UP! I told you not to message me" release

-CHANGELOG & README:
     - Added to the release zip
-OnScreen messaging system:
     - All messages are now schown in the upper center
     - Messages can be turned off now, forgot to implement that earlier

v.1.2.1 - The "SHUT-UP! I told you not to message me" release

-CHANGELOG & README:
     - Added to the release zip
     - All messages are now schown in the upper center
     - Messages can be turned off now, forgot to implement that earlier

v1.2 - The "warn me before doing stuff automagically" release

- Can be turned off
     - Shows 3 pre messages before decoupling and igniting at -10s, -5s and -2s
     - Shows a message at decoupling, igniting and fairing separation
v1.1.1 -The "humans want something nice to read" release
-inflight PAW change: Circuits are: connected/disconnected instead of active?: true/false
v1.1 - The "ON-OFF-Button" release
-enable/disable button to disable funcionality instead of 0.0s/0km
v1.0 - The "never available, 'cause I forgot to generate a zip file" release
-initial release
Edited by Benji
v1.2.2 release

1 hour ago, Cavscout74 said:

This looks really interesting, gonna have to check it out - especially for early game, when I tend to lose comm's in flight

Hmm, interesting.
Never tried that. But should work.
Are you playing RO / RP1? What ksp-version are you playing, any problems?

Main purpose for me (reason why I started this project) was to not miss those sometimes relatively short hot staging moments in RO / RP1. ->gave me a reliable way of pushing the early sounding rockets to their limits by hot staging and decoupling at the best possible moment.

Edited by Benji

43 minutes ago, Benji said:

Hmm, interesting.
Never tried that. But should work.
Are you playing RO / RP1? What ksp-version are you playing, any problems?

Main purpose for me (reason why I started this project) was to not miss those sometimes relatively short hot staging moments in RO / RP1. ->gave me a reliable way of pushing the early sounding rockets to their limits by hot staging and decoupling at the best possible moment.

I've been playing JNSQ, and there is a large gap in comm's between launch sites & the ground stations, especially career mode before upgrades.   Lost a few rockets due to not being able to stage and falling back into the atmosphere. 

I'm in 1.10.1, but I haven't had a chance to actually try this yet - just saw it today

Edited by Cavscout74

1 hour ago, garwel said:

Nice idea. I use kOS for launches, but this looks like a simple alternative for the early sounding rockets and such.

Thanks. I now use these simple automations for all my "launch-vehicles" (as far as this is can be called a concept in ksp).
Guidance: I was thinking about using kOS just as guidance computer. Or I'll make a new "hardwire"-automation for avionics and capsules. All my launches would be automated then. For now I steer myself.

I used (last time is more then a year ago) kOS for landers on mars and moon's far side.
For launches I always found it too tedious to write programs. Never got around writing a flexible enough program that can be used for various vehicles.

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.