My personal Kerbal RP experience

zpox357

Hi Space Story telling enthusiasts!

I’ve been enjoying playing KSP for many years now, and the number of amazing adventures I’ve had is endless.

Obviously all fans have their own subjective way of enjoying the game, focusing on different elements, but I have found particular enjoyment creating my own ‘Story mode’ style gameplay which I’d be too sheepish to share with anyone else, but I feel like some of the people on this particular sub-forum might appreciate, and might enjoy having a go at. It's unlikely to be for everyone, but for me it's defined why enjoy the game so much that I feel compelled to share, and might give some people who want to create stories around KSP but don't know how to go about it a framework on which to start, whilst just enjoying the game.

I personally play standard vanilla career-mode (modded/science mode would work fine too, it's up to personal choice), but my main objective aside from working through the career is to leave behind a trail of personal anecdotes and messages on flags from the characters involved, which gives an insight into the Kerbals and the history of the space programme, as if someone else could explore long after, and find little fragments of memories scattered throughout the solar-system with which they can piece together a bigger picture.

I tell the stories of the missions themselves, but perhaps more-so I particularly try and involve lots of snippets of mundane conversation which express each of the Kerbals different personalities and create a personal story for them and relationships/memories with each-other.

I tend to play with these rules;

• I try to keep to a realistic progression timeline (as in, rather than going into orbit once, stopping at the Mun once, and then going straight onto Duna, I do many missions to each milestone/celestial body with different objectives and build up slowly to the next), and organise my missions into 'programmes', which end when a new vehicle is developed. This helps create a more in-depth and rich story even if it takes more time.
  • Strictly use as few Kerbals as possible to keep the cast size manageable.
  • Each new Kerbal is uniquely named (through the de-bug menu) and has a somewhat unique personality archetype (this makes you become very attached to them and care for their safety much more)
  • No saves or reverts. This seems harh, but it has an important impact. Any failures/disasters become part of the story, and KIA's have emotional consequences for their crewmates. Incentivises you to put extra care into the safety of your crafts, such as reliable abort systems and un-manned test flights.
  • Each landing site has a short flag-plaque sized description of the mission.
  • Each landing site has at least three ‘audio-log’ flags spaced out around the landing site, with imagined snippets of conversation between the participants, be it mundane chit-chat or talk about events that happened during the gameplay.
  • Extra ‘event’ flags are placed at sites where significant events happen with an audio-log or a description (such as a ‘first’ event happens, a Kerbal dies or nearly dies, equipment is broken, a memorial is placed, etc)
  • When a Kerbal dies (or, rarely, ‘retires’) a memorial/commemoration flag is placed at the KSC with a description of their career.
  • I try and leave behind at least some equipment/debris at each site (within the limits of my computers performance) to add to the sense of narrative.
  • I tend to write all the text out in a separate word document first so that it’s saved somewhere readable, and it’s easy to edit and paste into the flag plaques. One of the nice things about doing this is I still read through the word logs of old save files long after I’ve finished them, since it brings back the memories of all the missions and characters pretty clearly, and creates a nice little story.

Here is just a section of the word-log from my current playthrough covering the Mun/Minmus programmes and just before the first Duna mission, to give you an idea of the type of silly bits and pieces I write on flags.

(I name my Kerbals after my pets plus game and anime characters I like, which.... yes i'm aware is exceedingly dorky, but it helps me care about them and gives a basic archetype off which to guide their personality and interactions with eachother.)

Spoiler

[Space station crew rotation logs]
Ourspace:
Last: -
Current: - 

Chariot:
Last: -
Current: -

[Memorials]

(Horizon VIP PT) Junko was one of the original four KSP pilots, and flew several of the first sub-orbital flights in the MRP program; an eccentrically fearless Kerbal, passionate about the future of space flight. Sadly, just a few months into the program, he was killed when testing the prototype ‘Horizon VIP’ as the capsule failed to slow down enough for chute deployment. An hour before take-off, Junko insisted that the flight only take him as a precautionary measure. This saved the life of Holo, who is planting this flag in his memory

(KGS Bugsy) Ace was the program's first Kerbin Geological Studies pilot, and flew around the continent in a Bugsy light aircraft collecting invaluable data. He was a cool-headed and chilled-out dude, and loved the KGS department despite it’s lesser glory. On a routine coastal trip, his Bugsy’s tail clipped the sand on takeoff, and the rickety old plane’s tail was torn off, causing the aircraft to tumble forwards into the sand, and Ace was sadly lost. RIP ace, the KGS thanks you for your service.

(Visitor Mk2 01) Twig was another of the original four KSP pilots, with a stunning career of flights around Kerbin in the MRP, Horizon VIP and Cosmo programs. Twig was an excellent pilot, and dreamed of seeing the Mun up-close one day. On his first flight in the Visitor Mk2 program, Twigs wish was finally granted, but sadly his capsule broke up on Kerbin re-entry. A landing site will be dedicated to him in the upcoming surface program. RIP Twig, AAPA.

[Mission logs]

---

On this spot, Nana [P] and Senku became the first-ever Kerbals to set foot on another world. The origin program was the original major long-term goal the KSP was set up for, and through a long journey of triumphs and tragedies, today our dreams were realized. Nana flew an excellent mission for a world first, and here Senku becomes the first Scientist to fly a non-training mission for the KSP. Here’s to a safe journey home, and a hero's welcome for both of them! AAPA.

---

Saber [P] and Kaban prove the consistency of the Origin program as they stick another perfect landing for the program's second entry. Saber is one of the programs newer pilots, flying post-Junko program orbital missions for barely two years. However, she has clearly caught up to her peers in record time! Kaban is from the first batch of KSP field scientists, and the second to walk on the lunar surface. She performed a daring excursion to collect obv. data between transfer separation and landing ignition! AAPA.

"...tsssk. These suits really rub around the joints" - Kaban
"...really? Doesn't the undershirt help?" - Saber [P]
"Undershirt?" - K
"The jumpsuit one...?" - S
"What? I'm not wearing a jumpsuit." – K
“…wait? What? So you’re just… wearing nothing under there?” – S
“…uh. Would that be a problem?” – K
“…no. Not really… bit weird though…” – S

“…hey. What’re you up to… staring like that?” – Kaban
“…oh. I was just …looking back at our continent...” – Saber [P]
“hmm? I didn’t take you for the sentimental type…” – K
“…oh… no. no, I was just… making an observation… that’s all…” – S
“…observation? That’s my job. You'd better write it down at least.” – K

---

Nook [P] and Serval continue Origin’s pristine streak with another smooth flight and landing in the Mun’s equatorial minor craters. This is both of these Kerbals first time on a surface mission; Nook; a newer pilot who has been flying tourist visits to the Mun for a couple of years can finally touch the surface, and Serval can follow in her sister ‘Kaban’ ’s footsteps just a mission earlier on Origin 02. Congrats to the first interplanetary siblings! AAPA.

“…watch your distance, Serval.” – Nook [P]
“yep… I’m watching.” – Serval
“…and your speed… you look like you’re overspeed there…” – N
“…no, no it’s good, I’m not overspeed… 8.9 m/s hoz…” – S
“That’s still quite fast…” – N
“…naaaah… I've gone waaay faster in training...” – S
“d… don’t Serval. Stay within 10 ok?” – N 
“ tsssk… kidding. Chill, Nook, chill.” – S

“…ukg… ahhh!” – Serval
“what!? What Serval, are you…?” Nook [P]
“my squeezy drink came loose, it fell into my pants! Agh, its leaking…” – S
“oh… ok… go back to the ship. That’s not safe, it might mess with your suit...” – N
“no it’s fine. The suit-diaper will catch it…” – S
“…That’s... not what the diapers were designed for.” – N
“…the juice would’a ended up in there anyway. ...It’s just taken a shortcut” – S
“akh, ew... Serval. Just go back and get changed.” – N

“…what planet is that?” – Serval
“…Eve …because… look, it’s near the arc-nebula” – Nook [P]
“…where’s that?” – S
“…there.” – N
“…huh? Can’t see nothing” – S
“Scientist shouldn’t use double negatives…” – N
“oh… not this again. It’s ...just a dialect thing, y’know…” – S
“Yeah well, it sounds stupid.” – N
“mmm, well you sound stupid.” - S

---

Origin 04 touches down with veteran Holo [P] and newbie Pepper for both their first surface mission! Origin 04 performed a daring canyon dive on the far side of the Mun, racing across the canyon edge at kilometers a second, before slowing down and diving into the treacherous crevasse, Holo quickly identifying a level landing spot amongst the steep cliff faces. Despite being one of the last pilots to land on the Mun, it’s a good thing she piloted the most challenging landing so far. AAPA.

“…wow. What a ginormous cavity.” – Holo [P]
“Yeah. I’m thinking it was a landslide.” – Pepsi
“Really? That would be new” H
“…mhmm… could have been triggered by something.” P
“like… an earthquake? Or… ‘Munquake’?” H
“Maybe… or it could have been a meteor impact” P
“Good thing we brought the seismometer” H
“Yeah. If there’s any seismic activity here, it should help us find it” P

“…What does this look like to you?”- Pepsi
“…uh… a rock. Because that’s what it is…” – Holo [P]
“…yeah, I meant what it’s made of, smartass.” – P
“…why are you asking me, you’re the geologist” – H
“I have a hunch. Just wanted a second opinion” – P
“uh… looks sparkly. Some kind of mix of regolith and crystalized salt?” - H
“hmm… salt would be pretty unlikely. Glass, perhaps…- P

“what’s that smell?” Pepsi
“…what? I don’t know… obviously. What does it smell like?” Holo [P]
“like… metallic… or red meat…” - P
“oh, that’s the Mun dust. Saber mentioned that they think it smells like that because it gets statically charged from the sun” – H
“really? That’s neat! and uh, at least it’s not the electronics in my suit, was a bit worried there for a second...” - P

*Thud*
“AWW…  SH-*STATIC*” – Holo [P]
*Mission control uplink failure*
“Holo!? What? What the hell was...?” – Pepper
“C**p. It’s ok. I’m ok... I broke the main antenna though.” – H
“Ok… phew. You gave me a heart attack. ...How though!?” – P
“I hit my head on it and it snapped off… mission control is gonna be flipping out…” - [H]
“ooooh dear oh dear, Holo. Tssk. We should contact them via the directional ASAP.” - P

---

Origin 05 arrives at the Mun’s large northern crater, testing out the first of a slightly newer variant of the Origin vehicle; Origin 1B. This newer and smarter lander has integrated advanced autopilot capabilities, and upgraded science hardware! The mission went relatively smoothly, apart from a power failure on route to the Mun, which was quickly resolved. The mission was crewed by Nana [P] (Origin 01), and Kaban (Origin 02) who are the first Kerbals to set foot on the Mun more than once! AAPA.

“…hey… Kaban. Before you leave. Are you wearing your undersuit this time?” Nana [P]
“…what? T… That’s a stupid question to ask…” - Kaban
“...nice try. We know about your nudism. Saber shared with us.” – N
“oh for... god-damn... Saber, I didn't even think she would remember!” – K
“still, so… are you… y’know” – N
“No! I mean… yes! I am wearing the undersuit. I was just too hot last time, is that really so bad?” – K
“no… it iissssss a bit weird though. – N

“Damn Sun. It’s so low up here, it’s always in my eyes.” – Kaban
“…just use… your sun visor.” – Nana [P]
“…”  *shwuup*  - K       
“…didn’t you know we had one?” – N
“Yeah! Of course! I was on Origin 02 remember! Duh. I just don’t like it, it’s too… 'yellow'” – K
“I just heard you pull it down though” – N
“…no. I was just… I was adjusting my mic” – K
“...ok... if you say so.” – N

“Woah. I found a crater” – Nana [P]
“Really? Nooooooo. Around here? On the Mun? Far out.” – Kaban
“Alright… alright jeez. This one is different though… wanna see?” – N
 “Not really.” – K
“…but… you’re an asteroid expert” – N
“Yeah… so. You’re a pilot, but I don’t point out every airplane I see fly over” – K
“…how is that… even the same? Man… Saber was right… I was not prepared for this” – N
“haaaaaha.” – K

“AHHHH” – Kaban
“…what!? what Kaban!?” – Nana [P]
“ak… no. It’s fine. It was just a helmet toggle.” – K
“…what? ...why did you scream?” – N
“…I … I thought it was a bug.” – K
“…in your helmet? On the Mun?” – N
“Yeah… hey it’s not impossible! There was a fly behind the glass in our altimeter once!” – K
“...Did you scream at that too?” – N
“a bit, yeah.” – K

---

As the first KSP probes leave for Duna, Origin 06 arrives at the Muns mysterious twin crater to investigate its secrets. Veteran Saber [P] brings along complete newbie Mordred [P] on a training mission like no other. On the flight over, Saber performed a simulated EVA suit rescue of Mordred, which was a bit of excitement, and proved that even in the event of EVA pack failure, all is not lost as long as you’ve got a friend around. AAPA.

“soo… how does it feel to finally be up here for real?” – Saber [P]
“…eeeeh. It’s more fun than training” – Mordred [P]
“…worth the fuss?” – S
“I don’t know about that. Man… sim sessions… sucked aassss.” – M
“mmm. I joined before they had them… I trained on the job, as to say” – S
“yeah yeah, I get it, you’re a vet. Bet I woulda been up here before you if I’d been old enough back then” – M
“oh, is that so?” – S

“…hey… hey Saber. Your vent is open” – Mordred [P]
“…what!? huh?” *pat* *pat* - Saber [P]
“haaaaaaa haha! gotcaha.” – M
“Mordred! Don’t joke about that sort of thing, seriously… jeez.” – S
“haaaah! You totally freaked!” – M
“No. Mordred, honestly. Don’t. Now’s not the time for that” – S
“Mordred. Listen to Saber, don’t make those kind of jokes on missions” - KSC
“aww. That’s no fun… ok, fine, fine” – M

“so... why are ground control such kill-joys?” – Mordred [P]
“...what do you mean?” – Saber [P]
“you know what I mean… can’t have any fun up here without getting an earful” – M
“…their job is to keep us safe. Even from ourselves. Especially from you.” – S
“…but… I thought the KSP was all about ...pushing boundaries!” – M
“…of science. Not of my patience. Come on. Just behave, Mordred” – S
“aawwww, come on, not you aswell” – M

“ uh. How do I turn my pump down? It’s... really loud” – Mordred [P]
“it’s on your console, under suit, ...then pump speed.” – Saber [P]
“mhmm. Oh… what? Mine doesn’t have ‘suit’” – M
“You have to scroll down …didn’t you ever adjust it in training?” – S
“I just turned it off. The trainers never checked” – M
“pffft. Trust you to cheat at life-support training. You’re going to cheat yourself to death one day” – S
“well… not if I'm lectured to death up here first...” – M

---

GreenOrigin 01 makes history, as Nook [P] and Serval set foot on Minmus for the first time. The slightly modified Origin vehicle was designed for Munar missions, but exceeded expectations on its first excursion to another celestial body. With boot-prints on both of Kerbins moons, the frontier now moves beyond the Kerbin system; the GreenOrigin program is perhaps just the end of act one, in a much grander story of the stars. Congrats Nook [P] and Serval ! AAPA.

“haha, I love the fluffy green sand, I just wanna... eat it!”  - Serval
“I wouldn’t recommend that. It looks pretty abrasive” – Nook [P]
“…In my scientific opinion… it looks delicious” – S
“…In my common sense opinion… don’t.” – N
“…In your... er ...'nook-y' ...boring opinion.” – S
KSC, can I have your input on this debate?” – N
“…KSC can confirm that minmus regolith samples were found to contain numerous toxic substances.” – KSC
“…oooooh ...sounds Spicy!” - S

“aren’t you so happy we got put together again Nook?” – Serval
“thrilled.” – Nook [P]
“maybe they’ll put us together on all our missions now!” – S
“if we get put together again, I’m asking to switch partners.” – N
“oh yeah? Who would pick?” – S
“I think pepper and I would make a good pair.” – N
“ohhhh… uugh. You, Pepper and KSC would be the ultimate fun-police duo” – S

“oof. Akh.” – Nook [P]
“…haha, saw that! ...Nice trip?!” – Serval
“that’s so old. Also… I haven’t seen you try walking yet” – N
“mhmm… that’s because crawling is much more practical” – S
“well, you are named after a cat after all. It... suits your style” – N
“Thanks! Naturally!” – S
“I’m not sure if I meant that as a compliment” – N
“Graaaaawl!” – S
“er... yeah. ok. down, kitty.” – N

“if you’re a serval… what animal would I be?” – Nook [P]
“A raccoon” – Serval
“That was quick… why?” – N
“I don’t know… you just give off 'raccoon vibes'” – S
“what’s that supposed to mean?” – N
“What? Raccoons aren’t bad animals! They’re cute!” – S
“and smelly. And they like to hang out in garbage” – N
“...w” – S

"nope, already see where you're going with that, ...forget it." - N

---

This flag erected by Mordred [P] and Kaban on Origin 07 likely marks the last landing in the Origin programme. From O-01 to O-07; the first Mun landing ever conducted by Kerbal kind, the programme has been a huge success. Soon, Mordred and Kaban will prepare to ascend to the brand new ‘Chariot’ Mun station; part of the next generation ‘Sigma’ landing system, to test the Sigma rendezvous and docking system installed on their modified Origin lander; a ‘last first’ for the Origin programme. AAPA.

“…see anything yet?” – Mordred [P]
“…uh… don’t think so. Pretty sure it’s due over now” – Kaban
“…”
“Ah! There… what’s that, is that it?” – K
“heeeeey… looks like it… yup. That’s Chariot!” – M
“hi Nana, Senku and Serval! Awesome!” – K
“ya think they can see us?” – M
“…nooo. Don’t be daft. We’re minuscule compared to all these boulders” - K

“…so… you think we’re back on track …like, financially now…?” – Mordred [P]
“yeah, I think extending Origin was a good idea… Sigma wasn’t ready. It wasn’t your fault, if... that’s why you’re concerned” – Kaban
“pfft. I know. Stupid tumbly-ass rocket” – M
“we were all just glad you were alright. Looked like a pretty rough abort near Max-Q” – K
“That woulda been my moment too. First pilot of Sigma. Damn. Could have really rubbed that in Sabers face, I tell ya.” – M

“…so. What’s the deal between you and Saber?” – Kaban
“…the deal? She’s annoying, that’s the deal.” – Mordred [P]
“…just… annoying? How?” – K
“all… rigid, and by the book n'all. *whisper* ahem... She’s KSC’s favorite, you know.” - M
*crackle* “Leeet’s... keep personal chatter off mission time, shall we Mordred?” – KSC
“see! It's they probably wouldn't have even noticed if that was Saber! They'd be too busy looking for the next opportunity to nag me" – M
“Mordred. Come on. That’s an order. Move on." – KSC

“Welp… time for the last leg of Origin” – Kaban
“pffft. I won’t miss it, I only got two assignments, and one was training” – Mordred [P]
“…so, the same as everyone else” – K
“oh… really? ...Well that’s lame.” – M
“…’there’s no main character at the KSC’, as they say” – K
“That’s so not true! Nana Junko, and Nook all have firsts… I want one too! I’m gonna take the best of all; Duna! Screw the Mun” – M

---

At this site, the gigantic Sigma 01 lander touched down on the Mun, crewed by Saber [P], Senku and Maya [E]. This was the first successful Sigma 01 landing (after an earlier launch abort which almost bankrupted the program). The Sigma landing system allows for much greater surface capabilities compared to Origin, with a host of new instruments, and even a rover for longer distance exploration. This is also Maya’s first surface mission, and the first Engineer class on a surface mission! AAPA.

“phew… I think my heart is worn out… that was tense” – Maya [E]
“…haha, that’s what this is all about! That was better than any thrill ride I’ve ever been on” - Senku
“glad you both... appreciated my piloting. It is the first time anyone's flown one of these...” – Saber [P]
“not true! Mordred flew one… for a minute or so.” – Se
“pfft. haha.... *ahem* ...well …it's first time anyone has ever landed one.” – Sa

“This buggy handles like c**p… jeez… it’s so drifty” – Maya [E]
“…well… what do you expect. Traction isn’t easy to generate in Munar gravity, on dust.” – Saber [P]
“pffft… I guess. Makes it easier to do this though” *crackle* - Maya [E]
“…wooah woaaah… Maya, stop! You’ll damage the suspension” – Sa
“naaaaaaah, its all good! I designed this thing! It’s tougher than that I tell ya i'd bet my career on it.” – M

“It’s really dark in the shadows here… and that one is creeping closer. Maya, what’s the battery life like on this thing?” – Saber [P]
“It should last us the Munar night. Probably best to conserve power though. That means no more space coffee, Senku” – Maya [E]
“aaaaaw, come on. You don’t really expect me to drink plain hot water?” – Senku
“no. I expect you to drink plain cold water. No more electric boiling till sunrise.” – M
“bleh. Fine” – Se

---

Hermes 01 touches down with Mun-Vet Nana [P] and newbie Raph aboard on her first mission! Hermes attempts to massively reduce the cost of Munar-landings by utilizing an orbiting station ‘chariot’, and a reusable lander. Hermes 01 ran into trouble when the transport vessel’s solar cells failed to deploy, leaving the vessel powerless. The fault was not mission threatening, as Nana expertly controlled the battery life throughout the voyage to make sure power was never lost. AAPA.

“oh, it’s so beautiful here, just as I imagined! I’m over the Mun!... I mean, no, I guess I’ll never be over the Mun!” - Raph
“haha. Nice. I’m glad you like it. You made it on a test flight too, you should be proud! That takes some guts.” – Nana [P]
“How could I be scared? I had you!” – R
“aww… shucks. Thanks sweetie... you’ve been a great student!” – N
“squeee! That means so much!” – R
“hhaaah, what a fangirl! I love it” – N

“Nana… my suit is bleeping… is that bad?” – Raph
“uhh… what kind of bleeping?” – Nana [P]
“…like… 'blip blip blip blip blip'” – R
“…that’s fine. It’s just letting you know you’re at 75% battery. It’ll stop in a second” – N
“ok… sorry. I just kinda worry when it makes strange noises.” – R
“yeah, fair. But… these suits are pretty melodramatic. It’s usually nothing. If it’s something serious, your ears will be bleeding, so you’ll know.” – N

“so… if we have this now, what’s the point of Sigma?” – Raph
“well… it is expensive and heavy-duty. But sometimes we might need that capability. Plus, there needs to be an alternative to the Hermes system in case of emergency; Hermes only supports one lander, and can’t return home if Chariot is compromised.” – Nana [P]
“Oh… yeah, that makes a lot of sense.” – R

“so, on a scale of 1-10 Raph, how would you rate your experience with the programme so far?” – Nana [P]
“uhhhh… 9.” – Raphcoon
“9? What’s keeping it back?” – N
“the space food.” – R
“Really? A whole 10%?” – N
“well… I’m not sure quite that much. Maybe 9.5 then” – R
“Huh. So you’re a serious foodie, hey? I’ll have to ask the KSC canteen to make it up to you when we get back” – N

---

Hermes 02 touches down with vet Holo [P] and newbie Merlin [E] after a long and arduous journey hopping between four different landing sites in search of a strange anomalous surface temperature reading picked up years ago by Dustiny 01, the first Mun lander probe. On the last landing, in a daring attempt to save rapidly depleting fuel, Holo accidentally tips the lander and breaks off the antenna. Luckily the RCS and SAS have enough combined power to put things right again! AAPA.

“so… how does it look…?” – Holo [P]
“uhhh… bad.” – Merlin [E]
“…how bad is ‘bad’” – H
“…I can see the insides… I’m not sure we’re gonna be flying this one again” – M
“I mean… I guess they’re only rated for 3 missions…” – H
“yeah. Just one… 120 million fund mission… no one will miss it, sure” – M
“yeah, ok. KSC is going to kill me.” – H

“you think we have enough to get back to Chariot?” – Holo [P]
“in a perfect world… just about. Depends on how efficiently you fly” – Merlin [E]
“oh… well… I mean, I’ve never had to measure it” – H
“welp. Nows a good time to find out. Did I say good time? I meant the worst time.” – M
“hey. Worst case, we get stuck in orbit for a few days.” – H
“in a tiny capsule, with you. No thanks.” – M

“For someone on their first Mun landing… you seem pretty unmoved” – Holo [P]
“sorry, Mun... what now?” – Merlin [E]
“huh? Mun landi… oh. Har har.” – H
“mhmm.” – M
“well… come on. It’s certainly one of the more unique Mun missions” – H
“I don’t know. I’m hoping it stays exactly this unique. And doesn’t get any uniquer.” – M
“don’t be so pessimistic! We’ll be fine, I tell yaaaa!” – H

“hows it hanging, Senku?” – Holo [P]
*Crackle* “wack.” – Senku [Chariot]
“is that good?” – Merlin [E]
“yeah… You land smoothly?” – S
“uhh… yeaaah. Buttery smoo...” – H
“haaah! I know about the faceplant touchdown. KSC already told me.” – S
“awk! Come one, I was low on fuel…!” – H
“haha. I’ve got the audio too. You both screamed like little girls” – S
“hey! Leave me out of this. You try being flown around by this maniac…” – M

“sooo… Holo… Merlin… Senku… we’ve decided that as punishment for Holo’s second government property damage incident… we’re going to ask you to stay on Chariot till we get a new Hermes up there.” – KSC
“whaaaaat? Come-aaaan, I’m supposed to be heading to Minmus!” – Senku
“yeah… Keep Holo up here, bring us back!” – Merlin [E]
“thanks for the support guys.” – Holo [P]
“sorry… Minimum of 2 crew for Chariot. And we’re not picking a favorite.” – KSC

---

Hermes 03 kisses the surface, with Kaban manning Chariot station, and Nook [P] and newbie Mudbox [E] aboard a brand new Hermes lander! (We won’t go over why it had to be replaced *cough* Holo, Hermes 02 *cough*). Hermes 03 aims to explore the Muns sunken frontside basin, and allow the crew to test out prototypes Mk2 suits for the exciting up-coming Vermilion 01 Duna mission. They look very high tech! Hopefully they’re just as comfortable. AAPA.

“Which of the space-sisters is easiest to handle? Serval or Kaban?” – Mudbox [E]
“uhh… wow. uh… they’re both characters… I mean, Kaban’s been great company so far… but I’ve been put with Serval twice now and was... terrified both times” – Nook [P]
“...aaare you just saying that because I can hear you guys? I can tell serval through KSC too…” – Kaban [Chariot] 
“oh… please don’t. She’ll ask to get put with me again in vengeance. I can’t handle her a third time…” – N

*crackle* “how’s the Mk2’s, guys?” – KSC
“uh… they’re pretty good! The HUD is way more convenient than just the display” – Nook [P]
“the undersuits are kinda itchy.” – Mudbox [E]
“haha… funny you should say that. Kaban might have some advice on that front…” – N
“hey. Shut it. That was years ago, leave it alone.” – Kaban [Chariot]
KSC recommends the Mk2 suits be worn at all times with regulation jumpsuit...” – KSC
“wait, …what are you guys even talking about?” – M
“tell him Nook, and I’ll throw you out the airlock” – K

“any word on the roster for Vermilion 01?” – Mudbox [E]
“no. It’s still a couple of years out after all. It’s still looking like a crew of 12 though, so you’re in with a good chance” – Nook [P]
“oh, no… I don’t mind… there’ll be more than one anyway, so I’m bound to get there eventually.” – M
“yeah. I might be on it with you. I can tell you I won’t be making the first landing though, since I already got Minmus.” – N
“oh yeah. You lucky thing!” – M
“akh… Minmus was... overrated. Tiny dirty snowball. Duna will be the real prize of the era, whoever nabs it...” – N

“hey! Hey, Nook! Look at your bootstraps!” – Mudbox [E]
“my bootstraps? What about them?” – Nook [P]
“there’s particles sticking to the magnetic clips!” – M
“*crinkle* …oh, yeah. There is! That’s got to be something interesting …it’s magnetic dust. Good going 'M', you’ve made a discovery! That’s one up on the mission Scientist.”
“*crackle* that’s not fair! I’m not even down there!” – Kaban [Chariot]

---

The Vulcan programme, an offshoot of Hermes, follows a similar structure of utilising an orbital station [Mist] and a reusable lander to massively cut the cost of missions. The system can accommodate up to 7 travelling and 5 landing Kerbals, but today Vulcan 01 is crewed by just 3; Saber [P], Nana [P] and Pepsi , who are testing out the system to make sure it is safe for potential future tourist flights. Despite a wobbly launch, the flight went perfectly! Probably just needs a few more struts. AAPA.

“Wow. This is so much more awkward than the Mun.” – Pepsi
“yeah… I can see what Serval and Nook were talking about” – Nana [P]
“I mean, we were warned. Maybe all that wire training wasn’t so pointless after all…” – Saber [P]
“pfffft. Now it feels even moooorrree pointless. It doesn’t feel even slightly simmilar” – P
“watch this! Weeeeeeeeeeee!” – N
“woah… that’s got to be a front-flip world record of sorts!” – P
“careful guys.” – S
“Kerbin looks so much further away from here…” – Pepsi
“Really Pep? Wow, that’s mysterious. We’ll need to send that one back for analysis. KSC, what’s your word on it?” – Nana [P]
“…ok, ok no need for the sarcasm.” - P
“*crackle* KSC can confirm that the apparent diameter of Kerbin is expected to reduce with distance travelled from the surface.” – KSC
“…fascinating. You should write that down, 'Mission Scientist Pepsi'” – N
“…thanks for encouraging her, KSC.” – P

“I can make out the shape! That’s incredible!” – Pepsi
“yeah! It’s crazy seeing more than just a bright speck. It’s like a building flying past overhead.” – Nana [P]
“oh! Quick, quick, who has the camera?” – P
“It’s in storage. It's a bit late now anyway.” – Saber [P]
“aw… damn it.” - P
“It’s alright Pep, we’re here for a few hours. It’ll be back round again.” – N
“ok, ok. I really want to get that on video, it’s the best thing I’ve seen so far!”- P

“We have so much fuel. What are we going to do with it all?” – Nana [P]
“…transfer it for the return” – Saber [P]
“…even so, I don’t think we really need it.” – N
“…it’s not that expensive relative to the hardware. Better to have too much than too little.” – S
“I suppose… guess it’s useful to have a landing system that can re-insert into Kerbin orbit.” – N
“It’s safer too, when we start bringing up Tourists.” – S

“wow, that cozy little cove to the south looks perfect for a base!” – Pepsi
“well… not sure aesthetics are high on the requirements list” – Saber [P]
“…not if it’s a tourist base! It’s on the equator too, so easy access.” – P
“uhh… perhaps. I suppose it’s worth making a note of. Not sure about the ore saturation though.” – S
“I’m reading… 14.2%. Better than the Mun… not sure if that's decent on Minmus though.” – Nana [P]

“Saaabber… say you only had enough fuel to save either me or Nana…” – Pepsi
“…I can’t answer that. It could jeopardise triage neutrality.” – Saber [P]
“aw. Well… ok, what if we were both... eating lunch alone at separate tables…” – P
“Nana.” – S
“I Knew it…! you’d leave me to die!” – P
“You can’t assume that. That’s not the question I answered.” – S
“aw, I’d eat with you, Pep… I’d probably save Saber though” – Nana [P]

“akh. My boots are rubbing again.” – Nana [P]
“…how? You’re barely even walking on them.” – Saber [P]
“probably too small. Nana has massive feet, you see” – Pepsi
“hah… Are you really challenging me, the queen of sarcasm, ‘brick-head’?” – N
“oh, that was a really good one there, wow. Clap clap.” – P
*crackle* “guys, keep it civil on the global comms, please.” – KSC

---

Vulcan 02 touches down, and marks another historic event; the first civilians to set foot on another world! Mordred [P] and Senku crew the lander with the first batch of three eager tourists, and Holo [P] stays put on Mist station to watch over one other tourist who chose to watch from afar. Vulcan 02’s secondary mission is to test out surface deployed RTG’s for the Vermilion landings, and try the new heat dispersion system after Vulcan 01 got a bit too toasty on re-entry. AAPA.

“thank you, guys! Thank you so much! This is the highlight of my life!” – Haysel [T]
“aaahh, don’t say that! We're always hoping you'll fly with us again, y'know...” – Senku
“mmm…yeah, depends on whether we survive re-entry I guess…” – Mordred [P]
*crackle* “Mordred! Watch your... choice of words around our guests.” – KSC
“haha… no no, it’s ok, I thought it was funny…” – H
“ahah! Can’t touch me now KSC, she thought it was good! I like you, Haysel. You get me.” – M

“akh! What the hell? Stop! Grrr stupid… akhh! *crunch*” – Mordred [P]
“Mordred!? Hey!? You alright?” – Senku
“Mordred, status report.” – KSC
“uhh… yeah. I’m ok. Idk what happened, my pack just flipped out” – M
“ah, you did a Holo. Probably accidentally changed the reference frame, I’ve done that before too.” – S
“what? I wouldn’t do that! It was the pack, stupid thing!” – M

“How’s it going up there, Holo?” – Senku
“good! It’s comfyer than Chariot. Guest is a sweet guy too!” – Holo [P] [Mist]
“oooh, getting along are we?” – Mordred [P]
“…uh, I never took you for the type to nosey over relationships, Mordred.” – H
“No…! It’s just… the way you said it…” – M
“haaaah. Sounded pretty genuine to me.” – S
“mhmm, y'see, Senku. At least Holo is smart enough to make fun of me... while she’s out of reach.” – M
“no! …akh! Ow, stop, Mordred, stop it, ...stop.” – S
“Mordred. Stop. Not around the guests” – KSC

“woah! Look look Madrick, I’m spinning!” – Irsby [T]
“haha… I can do that too! Wheee!” – Madrick [T]
“Looks like the guests are having a blast.” – Senku
“yeah. Really takes me back.” – Mordred [P]
“…but, this is your first time here too…” – S
“…uh… yeah, I meant the Mun, Duh.” – M
“so… just under three years ago then?” – S
“…hey! You’re... not exactly a vet either.” – M

---

After just three landings, the Hermes Lander is put into retirement, and replaced with the brand new ‘Prime v.01’ lander, which aims to provide all the scientific tools of Hermes, plus tourist landing capability. The Prime lander still uses Chariot and the Hermes transporter as components to the mission. Holo [P] and newbie ‘Chrome’ [E] are here to test out Prime so it can be cleared for tourist missions. Chrome is also testing out a further updated version of the Vermilion suits, the first mission mere months away now. AAPA.

“Woaah! Woooooooah, Holo, Holo look!” – Chrome [E]
“*sigh* what now?” – Holo [P]
*thunk* “haha! It’s like a rubber ball!” – C
“well… they’re not bouncy… it’s just the low g’s. Makes the rocks go bounce.” – H
“yeah, I know. I just... thought it was neat.” – C
“well. uh… yeah, I guess it’s kindaaaa neat.” – H

“H...how far do you think I can rolly-polly?” – Chrome [E]
“…what? Oh... I er... I don’t know” – Holo [P]
*crackle* “Chrome… I appreciate your enthusiasm, but best not do that in the new suits.” – Nook [P] [Chariot]
“aw. But aren’t I supposed to be testing it?” – C
“…tests to the V-Suits are to stay within the pre-planned procedure for safety reasons, Chrome.” – KSC
“aw… damnit, and I thought I was getting the good deal having the new suit” - C

“I’ll pack-race you back to base, Holo!” – Chrome [E]
“Hey, that’s not fair! You’ve got a newer suit.” – Holo [P]
“aw. Ok... on foot then.” – C
“really? I’m up for some fun, but that would be torture.” – H
*crackle* “It would also exceed the physical exertion limits for short-term Munar EVAs. Stick to the packs, guys.” – KSC
“yeah, if you faint and I end up having to carry you, I’m never coming out with you again.” – H

*crackle* “So… how’s it going with Chrome” – Nook [P] [Chariot]
“uh… he’s lovely! Pretty excitable, but in a fun way… when it’s not... stressful.” – Holo [P]
“I can tell. I suppose it is his first mission.” – N
“…I wasn’t attempting to... summersault over scientific instruments on mine…” – H
“He’s got an inquisitive mind for simple details! Sounds like a good engineer,,.” – N
“hah. Funny to hear that coming from you, Nook. Get back to me when you’ve tried babysitting him alone for three days” – H

“ok… ascent systems check, one more time…” – Nook [P] [Chariot]
“ugh.. we’ve done it twice already.” – Holo [P]
“Thiiirrrd time’s the charm!” – N
“wait! I forgot to pick up a rock!” – Chrome [E]
“…what?” – H
“A Mun rock, I promised my Ma…” – C
“…uh… hmm. Well, ok. You’ve just about got time I guess… for which... you can thank Nook.” – H
“Yes! Thanks Nook!” - C
“ha! You’re... very welcome, Chrome. And …you too, Holo…” – N

---

Vulcan 03 is the first mission to reach the north pole of Minmus, and technically of any celestial body besides Kerbin! Holo [P] has been trusted to fly the mission alone, but still hot off the pilot seat from the Prime-Hermes 01 Test flight, Minmus tourist missions seem like a breeze. She’s only alone in regards to other crewmembers though; four excited tourists are also here to keep her company, all under the watchful eye of Saber [P] from Mist Station, who’s looking after an additional orbital only tourist. AAPA.

“you coping, Holo?” – Saber [P] [Mist]
“yeah! I’m good, they’re having a great time down here!” – Holo [P]
“what’s it like flying solo?” – S
“I mean… it’s not anymore lonely than the pre-origin Solo missions” – H
“oh yeah. I forgot you’ve been flying properly solo for years” – S
“hah. That’s right. The modern capsules are much more comfy though.” – H

“the sun is so darn low here. I practically can’t look in that direction.” – Holo [P]
“…are you using your visor, Holo?” – KSC
“no… it’s too dark otherwise. I can’t see around me.” – H
“too sunny, and too dark?” – KSC
“yeah, it’s weird. It’s ...very low level intense sunlight in one direction, but deep shadows everywhere else.” – H
“noted. We’ll have to look into a solution for future polar missions. In the meantime, have you tried using your torch?” – KSC
“it helps a bit, but I don’t want to drain my suit battery. It’s ok, I’ll manage.” – H

“what’s the latest on Vermilion Alpha, Holo?” – Saber [P] [Mist]
“uh… I think you’re up to date. We’re still ‘go’ for next spring.” – Holo [P]
“ooohh… can’t the months pass any faster?” – S
“...It’s ...weird to hear you so excited, Saber” – H
“you guys always talk about me like I’m a robot. How could I not be excited about this!?” – S
 “hah, no, no. I like it! It’s kinda... its kinda adorable in a way.” – H

“how do you feel about being couped up with Serval and… Mordred for 18 months?” – Holo [P]
“I’m mentally preparing myself.” – Saber [P] [Mist]
“arguments are banned, remember!” – H
“it’s fine. Nook and Nana will be there too” – S
“hey, what about me?” – H
“you’re alright… I'm not sure who your 'true alliance' is with though” – S
“The nerds or the nutters? I think I’m fine in the sane middle, thanks.” - H

---

[Monuments]

Twigs Hill [Mun]

"Look Twig! We made it. Sorry you couldn't be here to see it with me. It's just as amazing as you'd always hoped. Say hi to Junko and Ace from me. Miss you, buddy. AAPA." - Nana [P]

---

It does take a fair amount longer to progress through the campaign (i've been playing for months and have only just started planning to go to Duna, lol), but the sheer amount of detail and personal investment I've been able to get out of just missions within the Kerbin system has made it very worth the extra effort. I know re-counting the mission on flags isn't a unique idea in itself, so i'd also be interested to hear how other people here leave behind their stories, and it would be great to pick up some new ideas for next time too.

Edited by zpox357

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.