space stations..

funnelton

i have multiple questions for mods, 

A: is there a mod that makes a side of my station permanently face kerbin even if I leave it, timewarp and come back to it?

B: my station sways a little, not like the kraken is shaking it but more like the entire thing is slightly swaying from side to side like a metronome... any mod that can erm.. solve this?

C: is there a mod that has docking ports that dock at 90 degrees each time?

Thanks!

wts8Gbh.jpg

also, here is my station.

Edited by funnelton

A. The mod Persistent Rotation does close.  It does a more general thing.  If you leave the station rotating in synch with its orbit, so one face points toward the planet, Persistent Rotation makes that rotation persist while you are with other craft.

B. No mod that I know of for wobble.  Slow wobble dies down in KSP, so far as I have seen, unless you have the SAS system on, in which case a reaction wheel might be on a branch that wobbles opposite to the controller.  The physics for slow things is pretty good in KSP, so you can probably find the cause and remove it.

C. If you have Module Manager (likely, if you have any mods) there is a patch called "Add Angled Docking Ability to Docking Ports"  at the Community Patches

A- persistent rotation is your best bet. I think you can set it up so that if you point your control point straight down at the planet, it’ll hold that orientation.

B- this is a common issue for space stations, all the various reaction wheels are rarely balanced out properly and if the control point is near one end then switching SAS on can create asymmetric torque, which the SAS tries to correct but ends up worsening by overcorrecting each time until the station is oscillating and the SAS is slamming the controls side to side to try and stop it. A quick burst of time warp solves this problem by freezing the whole craft and resetting it, but not if you have persistent rotation!

C- Near Future Construction has some square/rectangular ports that only dock at specific angles, as does PicoPort (though those are tiny, as the name suggests). Alternative methods for lining up dockings include using MechJeb’s ability to set your roll to a particular number, allowing easy docking alignment and station construction, or 1.12’s rotating docking ports which can correct for slight angle errors (up to 15 degrees).

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.