Unable to Collect Science Data

I have a ship en route to Dres, and about halfway there I open service bay and do some science stuff.  I send my Scientist (Bob) on EVA to collect the data...and the only menu option I get is to Aim Camera.  What?  Why can't I collect the science from the gadgets here?

RyfeFXZ.png

PnRjtEV.png

IdJ0Gq7.png

NM - I simply had to move Bob down the ladder a bit.  Sigh.

6 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Why can't I collect the science from the gadgets here?

NM - I simply had to move Bob down the ladder a bit.  Sigh.

I'm glad to see that you figured it out, but in the interests of education, you should know that there is an interaction range around the experiments, beyond which they are what I will call 'out of reach' of the Kerbal.  This is something to remember if you're in the habit of putting science gadgetry in service bays.  This range is called interactionRange in the .cfg files and it can be modded, but it's usually not necessary for stock science gear.  For the Science Jr., the range is 1.85 metres.  For the SENTINEL telescope, it's 1.2.  It appears that for all of the others, it's 1.5 (I'm not certain about the magnetometer, but it is 1.5 for the rest).

3 minutes ago, Zhetaan said:

I'm glad to see that you figured it out, but in the interests of education, you should know that there is an interaction range around the experiments, beyond which they are what I will call 'out of reach' of the Kerbal.  This is something to remember if you're in the habit of putting science gadgetry in service bays.  This range is called interactionRange in the .cfg files and it can be modded, but it's usually not necessary for stock science gear.  For the Science Jr., the range is 1.85 metres.  For the SENTINEL telescope, it's 1.2.  It appears that for all of the others, it's 1.5 (I'm not certain about the magnetometer, but it is 1.5 for the rest).

Yeah, I wasn't aware of the interaction range.  I know that if the service bay was on the other side of the decoupler between the lander and the mothership that it would be out of range because, obviously, it's on another "ship", so to speak.  But on the same ship?  Wasn't aware that was a thing.  I mean, hearing it now...it makes sense.  Kerbals don't have arms that stretch to the outer limits of the cosmos.  I just wasn't aware that same-ship had a range is all.

But thank you for the clarification!  That should help in the long run!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.