KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

Dump the over priced Intel setup and go for a budget AMD setup, similar to mine.

With the four year old CPU that is half the speed of the I7 while needing double the power?

And a mainboard which has neither USB3 or SATA3.

And a PSU which is dubbed "chinese firecracker" around here.

Sounds like a plan.

Edited by jfx

With the four year old CPU that is half the speed of the I7 while needing double the power?

And a mainboard which has neither USB3 or SATA3.

And a PSU which is dubbed "chinese firecracker" around here.

Sounds like a plan.

What on earth are you talking about?

the PSU is just fine, and the motherboard is too.

-snip-

Yes Yes, if you can get your hands on the manuals for your computer parts can be an invaluable tool for making sure your ram is supported and things of that nature. The service in question is quite good at doing that same task, not the same percision of a manual but pretty darn good imo.

-snip-

Not many people trust the grey PSUs that are synonymous with being better used as a paperweight. If you check the QR code you can see how good(or dangerous) your product is.

It is always good to invest in a quality PSU.

Edited by Leonov

I hope this isn't too far off-topic, but while I already have a serviceable KSP-worthy gaming rig (one of these), the 15-inch screen I picked up for a song in a local pawnshop is no longer adequate; I've got too many information windows getting in the way.

Can anyone recommend a good 21-inch screen that costs less than £100? The option to wall-mount it would be a bonus due to space constraints, and I don't mind too much if it's VGA.

Presenting to you all My New Computer.

Specs/Parts list can be found here.

My 1Tb Hard Drive for it has been RMA'd so until it gets back i get to play KSP, Starmade, and Papers, Please.

The Hard Drive was so Dead it was slowing down my SSD.

On to SSD's It boots in 10 Seconds flat. Worth every Penny.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Leonov

-snip-

This first ost of this thread has a nice Hardware Chart and some videos cover the basics.

Other thna that if you can make sure you are grounded(static kills parts).

Microfiber towels are your friend.

Most parts fit in their slots/bays/plugs one way.

If you can operate a screwdriver, you can build a computer.

The manual is your friend.

I've been using, and gradually upgrading, the same computer I built back in 2007.

Here's my current computer:

Motherboard: Asus M2N-E

PSU: Seasonic X-460 fanless

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 2.2GHz Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor ADA4200CUBOX

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB

Western Digital WD10EADS Caviar Green 1TB

Adata ASP900 64GB SSD

GPU: ASUS GeForce GT 210 silent

Case: Antec Solo II

There are also various CPU coolers and other little bits which are probably not all that interesting.

In summary: A practically silent box, which has remained competent at gaming. Other parts have come and gone, but the CPU and Motherboard have remained rock-solid for the entire time.

So, here's my question. I can upgrade my BIOS, and install a new CPU, but my choices are somewhat limited for my older motherboard. I think that the AMD Phenom II X2 550 and the AMD Athlon II X4 640 are probably my best choices, but I'd like an outside opinion on which might be better, or if I should even bother with the hassle of upgrading an obsolete motherboard with an out-of-date CPU?

Also, what is the difference between the Athlon and Phenom lines?

Edited by BigFatStupidHead

I would not recommend getting a fanless PSU unless you've used the model before (which it looks like you have) and/or it has a significantly good review base (at least 100 reviews and 4-4.5 stars is what I like). How much power do you need? If you don't mind getting a non-modular, 430w PSU I'd recommend the Corsair CX430 ($45 versus the $140 of the one you're showing).

I'd definitely get a newer motherboard, my build's oldest part is an Asus GeForce 8400GS from 2010. May I recommend the MSI B75MA-P45? It's got two channels (four slots) of DDR3 RAM (which should be easier to find) and is only $65. The processor I'm using with it is the Intel Pentium G2020, which is $62 (all prices are from Amazon). Not a phenomenal machine but it runs KSP well enough for my tastes and should be easier to find support for than the parts you have listed. I can't personally recommend stuff on the AMD side of computing, but if you're ok with doing the switch then I can help you out as best I can. :)

Edited by OrbitusII

The power supply is actually quite fantastic. I did quite a bit of looking into power supplies before I got it, and appreciate many of it's design decisions. It's also very good at keeping itself cool (though I did have to upgrade my case to one with a topside vent when I bought it.)

I've been on the same AMD processor for seven years; is there something wrong with AMD?

Thanks for the link on Athlon and Phenom differences. If I do go for a new processor, it will probably be the AMD Phenom II X2 550. It's got a slight edge on speed, and I've never found much use for more than two cores.

The power supply is actually quite fantastic. I did quite a bit of looking into power supplies before I got it, and appreciate many of it's design decisions. It's also very good at keeping itself cool (though I did have to upgrade my case to one with a topside vent when I bought it.)

I've been on the same AMD processor for seven years; is there something wrong with AMD?

Thanks for the link on Athlon and Phenom differences. If I do go for a new processor, it will probably be the AMD Phenom II X2 550. It's got a slight edge on speed, and I've never found much use for more than two cores.

If you're happy with the PSU, go ahead and use it. :) I won't question your decision if you really trust it.

If the CPU works well, use it (same with the PSU).

-snip-

I would not invest in an AM2 Socket, it has lived its useful time. And that board is DDR2 so any upgrades for ram will be $$$.

Personally, in your case i would get an AM3+ Board some DDR3 Ram and a Low end FX CPU, like and FX-4XXX or FX-6XXX, and then use the parts from my last build to make a working computer. Upgrade components as nessicary down the road.

You could switch to a Socket 1155 intel board as prices are artificailly low as we speak becuase suppliers need to get rid of their stock so they can hold all the new haswell stuff.

Haswell stuff is also artificailly low in price as well so maybe that peaks your intrest.

Come up with a budget and what you want to do with the computer, i can help.

Edited by Leonov