Is my simple fix for a complex problem too simple?

Less of a direct dev questions and more of a design philosophy and good practices question.  I'm working on a mod that uses the stock inventory system for module management.  The goal is to eventually make a much more modular (no pun intended) command part system where pods and probe cores are basically just empty shells you fill out using the inventory system.  So far it's working pretty well.

However by default KSP disables parts with an inventory (ModuleInventoryPart) from being a storable part itself (ModuleCargoPart), so no nested inventory parts.  This would be a super useful and likely necessary feature and it can be gotten around.

If you create and use a subclass of ModuleInventoryPart, the new subclass won't trigger this restriction so you can in theory store an inventory within an inventory.  The stock game will properly keep track of build cost and mass but it won't see the nested inventory part costs on recovery.  The parts are there but you lose the money for any part stored in a stored part.

Rather than dig into the recovery code or mess too much with the ModuleInventoryPart class I was thinking of just adding in a hidden RESOURCE (call it 'Components' or whatever) and simply adjust the amount based on the cost of the stored parts.  On recovery this 'resource' gets added back into the recovery cost so in theory it all comes out even.

Is this too kludgy?  I feel like it should work just fine but it seems a bit of a cheat somehow.  Any thoughts?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.