Steam

Cowzgomooz

Cowzgomooz, I expect we will all get Steam keys, but even if we don't, KSP will always be sold and available at the KSP store.

I can't see why we wouldn't get Steam keys though, but doesn't Valve take a cut of each sale?

I doubt they would hand out steam keys for previously purchased copies. That's basically asking Valve to let us use their content servers for free. I've only seen it happen in rare circumstances and I'm pretty sure someone, somewhere, had to pay for it.

We will get keys for sure. I've bought games in the past and once steam has released them I was given keys. Even better, NS2 gave me an extra key to give to a friend because I pre purchased so early.

I doubt they would hand out steam keys for previously purchased copies. That's basically asking Valve to let us use their content servers for free. I've only seen it happen in rare circumstances and I'm pretty sure someone, somewhere, had to pay for it.

alot of indie games today are sold with the promise that when the game goes to steam, the game will be allowed to eb transfered to it for no fee. im unsure weather or not squad will do this but its becoming a common practice.

I just got the steam version of Cortex Command after having bought it elsewhere, because it gave me a key for it once the steam version came out. Making people re-buy a game when it goes to another platform is practically extortion.

I just got the steam version of Cortex Command after having bought it elsewhere, because it gave me a key for it once the steam version came out. Making people re-buy a game when it goes to another platform is practically extortion.

Pretty much. I think we can assume that Steam users here who've purchased the game will get Steam keys. Probably. Try to remember guys, we aren't dealing with EA or Ubisoft here (companies that, based on their behaviour, view their customers with some measure of disdain). :P

personally i think its stupid that i have tio buy xbox/pc versions of games to play with diffrent people. especialyl if its a game for windows games...i mean come on...

Uh, have you ever heard of the Humble Indie Bundle? Tons of examples of Valve playing nice.

Gabe's got our back, trust me.

Edited by segaprophet

Hardly. Nothing's obligating them to give out Steam keys in the first place, so if they did, it's extra. Gratis. And so on and so forth. It's their perogative to provide access to person who've already purchased the product via a different format. What would require them to give keys would be if they closed the KSP Store and Steam (just an example) were then the only place to get updates.

Squad would have to provide keys for each service they put it up on though, not just steam, so this could get very expensive.

You're assuming they'd have to buy each key from Steam.

I would be very surprised if this was the case.

kurtjmac (a youtuber) did a live steam of this far lands or bust thing over 3 days to raise money for childs play.

In those 3 days he had some of the guys from KSP on, and they let it slip it will be on steam, they didn't say when or anything. But comon the game is still in alpha i doubt it will be in beta when its out on steam, am quite sure that it wont be on steam till at least 1.0.

I also hope that when it does come out it will be on Steam workshop also.

I dont mind which ever way I have it running on steam for the overlay so i can take screen shots.

Uh, have you ever heard of the Humble Indie Bundle? Tons of examples of Valve playing nice.

Gabe's got our back, trust me.

I'm well aware of the Humble Indie Bundles and Valve's large-scale generosity. However, the bundles are as largely about charity as they are about deals. Getting a Steam activation key for KSP would be a nice bonus, but I would never expect/demand it. I'd kind of feel bad if Squad ever had to pay part of the pittance I already gave them for KSP to get me a key.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.