Quick Guide to Disabling PAIGE

I got really annoyed with PAIGE (shocker, I know) and dug into the game until I found a way to disable it without creating a new campaign. Maybe the devs will give us a way to do this more easily in the future, but at least there's this.

So here it is, quick and dirty, without pics. You just need to edit two text files in your game save.

----------------------------------

In this process, you're going to:

1. Back up your saved game files. To be safe. Or be daring and don't. :P
  2. Run KSP2 and load the saved game (which you just copied to somewhere safe).
  3. Immediately Save the game to a recognizable name. I called mine NO PAIGE.
  4. Edit the gamesave JSON file.
  5. Edit the gamesave META file.
  6. Test it out.

Edit the gamesave JSON file.

1. Go into your KSP2 Saves folder.
  2. The saved game will have three files, each with a different file extension: JPG, JSON, and META. Back these up to a safe location, just in case.
  3. Run KSP2.
  4. Load that specific saved game (not the backed-up save).
  5. Save the game using an obvious name, like NO PAIGE. Whatever works for you.
    • The point of this is to be able to more easily find the Save files, later.
  6. Exit KSP2.
  7. Go back into your KSP2 Saves folder and locate the save with the new obvious name you gave it.
    • Mine was called NO PAIGE.
  8. Edit the JSON save file in a text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++.
  9. Search for the line: "NewPlayerIsFTUEEnabled": true
    • FTUE obviously means "First Time User Experience"
  10. Change the word true to false in LOWER CASE. Because that works.
    • BEFORE: "NewPlayerIsFTUEEnabled": true
    • AFTER: "NewPlayerIsFTUEEnabled": false
  11. Now search for "FTUE": true and change true to false:
    • BEFORE: "FTUE": true
    • AFTER: "FTUE": false
  12. Ignore everything else.
  13. Save the file.

Edit the gamesave META file.

1. Go back into your KSP2 Saves folder.
  2. Edit the META save file of your obviously-named save in a text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++.
    • Again, mine was called NO PAIGE.
  3. Search for the line: "NewPlayerIsFTUEEnabled": true
    • It's probably at the bottom of the file.
  4. Change the word true to false in LOWER CASE.
    • BEFORE: "NewPlayerIsFTUEEnabled": true
    • AFTER: "NewPlayerIsFTUEEnabled": false
  5. Ignore everything else.
  6. Save the file.
  7. Now run KSP2.
  8. Please let us know if this worked for you!

Judging by the code in the files, PAIGE annoys you once for everything when it's enabled, so you might need to do something new to invoke it, if you can at this point. I don't know for sure.

Notes Blah Blah!

• I tested the above process by creating a brand new campaign, verified that PAIGE was enabled and annoying, and then I disabled it.
  • To test the process, I built a new rocket and placed all of the superstars onboard, and launched it straight up. And up. And up.
  • PAIGE actually did pop up once, but only when we both realized that my ship had left the Kerbin SOI and I had consigned the Star Five 5 kerbals to an eternity orbiting Kerbol. (Matt Lowne where are you?) Otherwise it did not previously bother me once in the entire process.
  • Then I made a newer save from my PAIGE-disabled save game, and PAIGE was clearly still disabled on that save as well.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Works! Thanks so much. I actually think Paige is a great tutorial system. And I wanted to see how she worked, but after putting in some time to make a space station and realizing she’s (hopefully) bugged to repeat herself every time you start the game I was so happy to find this post to both keep my save and finally put her to rest. Much appreciated!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.