[v0.1.1.0.21572] Symetry in VAB has HUGE problems

MehJeb

this bugrep is for [v0.1.1.0.21572]

1: symetry turned on, but engines are not subject to symetry? ::

bug_2_symetry.jpg

2: symetrical gear placement, anyone? what a crazy mix of radial and axial symetries =))) ::

bug_2_symetry2.jpg

3: beauty isn't it? =) ::

bug_2_symetry3.jpg

In KSP1, the game automatically switched to the correct symmetry if you tried to place parts with symmetry onto other parts that were already in a symmetry pattern. In KSP2, the game does not currently "force you" into the same symmetry pattern as the existing part when you try to place a new part on it, resulting in what you have in the 3rd picture. There are 2 easy workarounds: build a collection of parts with symmetry by first building just one, building on that, and then copying its root and re-placing it in a symmetry pattern where you actually want it, or: place the first symmetrical parts, then when you want to add to them, you do the extra step of of switching to the same pattern as the first symmetrical part, meaning that if you want to put mirrored landing gear on a set of mirrored wings, you have to switch to mirror symmetry yourself, the game currently doesn't do it for you automatically. As for the bicoupler, the devs know about that and say they plan to fix it, but it's a convenience feature, not an actual problem, so for now, put 1 engine on, copy it to the other node to simulate the craft properly, set up your action groups and part settings for just one of the engines, delete the other, then copy the original engine to the other node again. That's also how you deal with the tediousness of the parts manager and action group manger right now, set up just one part in the managers, then copy and symmetry it to the craft.  

well... to start with - KSP1 had [R] and [T] - and for a reason... the new dev team keeps repeating the mistakes already done by Squad in KSP1 and solved... 

and as for picture #3, look at it carefully: what it does is it goes through symmetry creation loop several time: and each time going into duplication of previous loop, that's wrong behavior and poor programming and needs to be solved... we're not looking for "workarounds" - we are helping devs FIX obvious bugs (and those not that obvious as well)

About the last case with gear symmetry, I had similar cases with radial symmetry when I put my parts on boosters, but in the most cases floating in air and obviously unnecessary parts dissapeared and they were placed rightly. But mirror symmetry has problems and sometimes works as radial 2 symmetry, especially when you paint your plane's wings

I wanted to create a topic on it as it is making me crazy: it is not only that symmetry currently does not make any sense, it is that the behaviour is not reliable: with the same 2 pieces and using the same symmetry button, you can obtain 2 totally different results :unsure: