[AAR] The Grand Tour - Voyage To The Planets

czokletmuss

I think that Bernie killed Bob and Orsen. He reminds me of HAL 9000. Plus, as a computer, he would not have been programmed to care HOW they died. Which brings another mystery. HAL 9000 killed crew members of the Discovery because he thought that they were somehow jeopardizing the mission, and I quote from both a space odyssey and this story, "nothing is more important than the mission."

Sneak-peak screenshot into the incoming chapter:

3GaqLrB.jpg

Hey czok, I was wondering, what tablet did you get?

In the end I had some unexpected expenditures and I didn't buy it yet :)

For the plot! Do what must be done!

I always do :>

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but does this have to do with an "extension" of Proteus...?

Oh, damn. DAMN! My brain is shivering with anticipation.

:dun dun DUN: :P

I sense much more darkness on the horizon.

Beleg_Sgandalf_pip_minastirith.jpg

I want this story to end with Jeb and his crew returning to Kerbin safley... but that isn't gonna happen, now is it?
Maybe only Jeb will survive. Or he won't, but the others will continue on. Or aliens will get involved. Or...

Yeah, this story is prone to wild theories. :)

Prone to theories?? You could drive a Maersk container ship full of theories around the internet with how spun up we are about this story!!

I'm glad that the ending is not easily predictable which IMHO is a trap for everyone who's trying to write for the first time in a particular genre - it's very easy to fall into all the cliches. Luckily thanks to TV Tropes I realize which tropes I'm using and therefore I can manipulate them, be it to play the straight or subver, whatever - I write the story and not the other way around thankfully :)

I think that Bernie killed Bob and Orsen. He reminds me of HAL 9000. Plus, as a computer, he would not have been programmed to care HOW they died. Which brings another mystery. HAL 9000 killed crew members of the Discovery because he thought that they were somehow jeopardizing the mission, and I quote from both a space odyssey and this story, "nothing is more important than the mission."

BERTY, not Bernie :D I won't comment further on what you wrote 'cause that would be spoiler.

Edited by czokletmuss

Kinda OT but just look at this beautiful dusk on Mars:

20140414_Sol587_Mastcam34_postcard_web1.jpg

Source: http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2014/04140827-pretty-picture-gale-sunset.html

So.. TOMMOROW!

...That is, if its a suborbital hop like Mercury Redstone. If it's like a Gilly suborbital, next month :P

Maybe. Maybe not :) I don't like to give ETA because than I feel the pressure to do this on time and I'm stressing myself over this. I prefer to write without all the fuss. Though yeah, the release is rather closer than further.

WHAT IF....

Berty is currently installing himself back into the IMV Proteus, or, his current residence is in the Duna Lab....

Hmm... the radio contact with Proteus may have been cut out by destructive interference. But that means that it was probably another radio signal. Like an SSTV signal. OR THAT EASTER EGG HILL ON DUNA NEAR THE SOUTH POLE THAT MAKES AN SSTV SIGNAL!!!

Delicious speculations! That's another perk of being a writer - you know what will happen. I wonder if, say, G.R.R. Martin feels the same about his characters and plot :D

Edited by czokletmuss

Delicious speculations! That's another perk of being a writer - you know what will happen. I wonder if, say, G.R.R. Martin feels the same about his characters and plot :D

Well, traditional writers don't have that amount of feedback in the the development process of their stories - but who knows^^

I also wrote stories some time ago (for school and stuff) and the funny thing about that was that even I did not know what was going to happen next most of the time - the results were often quite interesting :D

Well, traditional writers don't have that amount of feedback in the the development process of their stories - but who knows^^

I also wrote stories some time ago (for school and stuff) and the funny thing about that was that even I did not know what was going to happen next most of the time - the results were often quite interesting :D

Good point - and that's why AARs are so fun to write IMHO :)

My other AAR is much more unpredictable (since RNG always interfere in your plans in CK2) but during "The Grand Tour" there were some surprises too, like the kethane miner falling apart on Dres. An interesting approach to writing is to use dice in critical moments, kinda like during D&D session, though I doubt any professional writiers do that.

I have the 2nd layout unlocked on all ships except the rock and the lanius cruiser, 78 games total, 14 won. I'm currently working on unlocking the third layout on all ships, and I still need to find that unidentified cruiser... Actually, I even made a Let's Play on some runs quite some time ago.

And all that only took me about 70 hours (according to steam). But yeah, the game is full of terrors. But it's one of the best games I have ever played. You can't believe how pissed I was because I missed the kickstarter after I discovered it a few days too late :/ ^^

Edited by silentdragon

yEdh07v.jpg

CHAPTER 63

WHISPERS

7UJC0H8.jpg

ROZER: It's all here in the database. Everything. Personal logs, conducted experiments, dates, numbers, reports and even – oh Kod...

CAMBO: Rozer?

ROZER: I think... I think I know what happened here.

CAMBO: What? What are you talking about?

ROZER: Here's the last transmission from Duna - the distress signal we received.

DUNA LAB: Attention. No crew activity in the Lab Module had been detected for the last: FIVE DAYS. Initiating automatic emergency protocol. Emergency radio beacon online. Initiating emergency transmission to following targets: DUNA SPACE STATION. KERBAL SPACE CENTER. KERBIN SPACE STATION EPSILON-5. IMV PROTEUS. Transmission in progress. Initiating classified data transfer to following targets: DUNA SPACE STATION. KERBAL SPACE CENTER. Data transfer in progress. Switching all non-essential systems to stand-by mode. Attention. The emergency transmission and emergency radio beacon may be deactivated manually if needed. Classified data transfer in progress. Transmission in progress.

CAMBO: I remember.

ROZER: But this was an automatic message – the last entry made by the crew is this, log number 8311-XHT. Manned exploration of the Source.

CAMBO: Manned? But thought that Duna team was supposed to investigate it using only telerobotics?

ROZER: Yes. These were our orders - I talked with them before landing on Duna and explained it them. Their only task was to gather enough data so that the next team could investigate the Source, to build the fundament for further operations so to speak. They weren't even allowed to leave the base.

CAMBO: But look, it says here that they were taking both DEVs with them – it's Duna Exploration Vehicle, right? The ones which were supposed to be delivered with the resupply mission? So they were either sent there by KSC or they just took them and drove there – but they wouldn't do anything against the direct orders from Kerbin, would they?

ROZER: Apparently the orders have changed.

CAMBO: But... they didn't tell you?

ROZER: I was held hostage by Jeb during our flight to Jool, in case you forgot. Maybe they did but BERTY kept this for himself. Plus there wasn't any mutiny - look here. Safety protocols, instructions, checklists, EVA schedules, lists of scientific equipment they were supposed to take with them... they wouldn't bother doing all this if this was their idea. No, they were just following orders.

CAMBO: KSC.

ROZER: Yes. Somebody got impatient back on Kerbin.

CAMBO: So that's what happened? They went there and... and didn't come back?

ROZER: Not exactly. This is the last entry, they didn't log anything after that, which would indicate what you just said. However...

CAMBO: Yes?

ROZER: Before landing on Duna we deployed a small satellite on an orbit high enough to get coverage of southern hemisphere so that we can get data concerning weather and have a relay to DSS and Kerbin so that the communication between base and station won't be interrupted every orbit. But there was something more.

CAMBO: Something more? Like what?

ROZER: Sat nav. Primitive of course, after all it's just a single satellite. But together with Duna Space Telescope and DSS-

CAMBO: Triangulation.

ROZER: Yes. All of the DEVs and the rover were equipped with navigation devices. Now this data is from before the distress signal but if it's correct...

CAMBO: Yes? Just say it already!

ROZER: Both of the Duna Exploration Vehicles are still in the base.

CAMBO: What? Wait, this doesn't make any sense – if they drove to the Source and had an accident they wouldn't be here, right? Manned exploration, that's what's in the database. So you think that what, they didn't get there at all? That they stayed in the base?

ROZER: This is one explanation but there is another.

CAMBO: Namely?

ROZER: Whatever happened, happened after they get back to the base. Come on.

CAMBO: You don't know that. Maybe they weren't anywhere nearby the Source and-

ROZER: We can check this easily: all we need to do is check the DEV onboard computer. Plus we need it anyways to transport Dan. Come on, doctor – we still have to find the spacesuit for him.

RHC5lXw.jpg

MALLOCK: And?

JOHNDON: He's n-not responding.

MALLOCK: Leave it, he's probably busy helping them with the landing. Am I right?

NED: Mhm.

MALLOCK: Let's concentrate on the supplies. Honestly it's hard to believe that there are so many of them – I don't think we're going to complete cataloguing today.

JOHNDON: There are not that m-many containers here I t-think.

MALLOCK: Well, it would be easier if only the database of DSS wasn't erased. But now we have to check every single one of them.

NED: We should just take them all.

JOHNDON: B-But what if KSC planned that-

NED: That what, that these supplies were to be used by next mission to Duna? They were sent here so that we could use them.

MALLOCK: Yes but still, we need to catalogue them, count them, make sure they are viable for use and so on. Our ECLSS isn't in it's prime condition and there's still a long journey ahead of us. Look Ned, I would love to open some of these containers and taste decent meal for the first time in months as much as you but-

NED: Rice and corn in this one – take it, Johnny. Forget it, Mal – let's focus on work.

Dk5uEdM.jpg

jroaRXx.jpg

CAMBO: Four hundred meters, huh?

ROZER: Yes. And almost eight hundred to the habitat module. It's not worth it.

CAMBO: Are you sure? If the rover is there it would make everything much easier.

ROZER: It's much more fragile than either of them– if something is still operational after all these time, it's the DEV. Plus it's pressurized.

CAMBO: So what? Without a spacesuit it won't matter.

ROZER: It may. How long he would be able to survive outside?

CAMBO: Thirty second at most, the- oh no, you're not even thinking about this!

ROZER: If we won't find a spacesuit it's the only way.

CAMBO: No way. Duna's atmosphere is virtually a vacuum, the hypothermia alone – no, I won't even start to point out how idiotic this would be. We won't even be able to carry him to the airlock fast enough!

ROZER: Let's hope we find the spacesuit than. Come on, it's going to be a long walk.

CAMBO: ...

ROZER: Cambo?

CAMBO: I still think we should go for the rover.

ROZER: This is an extra kilometer in zero point three gee, we're barely standing and we have limited oxium supply. No, we're not going for the rover – we're going straight to the DAV.

CAMBO: You think there's a spare spacesuit in an ascent vehicle?

ROZER: No, but if it's broken it won't really matter, will it?

CAMBO: Dear Kod... We're really screwed, aren't we? How could it come to this?

ROZER: Save your breath – you don't want your oxium to run out before we dock to “Proteusâ€Â.

CAMBO: We need to reach the orbit first.

ROZER: Yes. Now please shut up and concentrate on breathing.

yF9FZsf.jpg

ROZER: Badly parked.

CAMBO: I don't like it. :heavy breathing:

ROZER: I'll take a closer look, you stay here and try to catch a breath.

CAMBO: Yeah. :heavy breathing:

ROZER: I don't see any damage, the – huh.

CAMBO: What? :heavy breathing: Is there any – what the hell is this? NASA?

ROZER: I bet “N†stands for “nationalâ€Â.

CAMBO: Why change the name of the world's greatest space agency?

ROZER: We left Kerbin a long time ago – names aren't the only things that could've been changed. But that's not important, you better look at this.

CAMBO: It looks just like... BERTY's terminal?

vT92RK7.jpg

ROZER: Mhm.

CAMBO: I didn't know he was supposed to oversee Duna exploration.

ROZER: It wasn't.

CAMBO: So why is it here?

ROZER: I don't know. I'll see whether we can use the vehicle, you stay here.

CAMBO: You don't want to check the DAV first?

ROZER: It's just a short walk from here and if the DEV works it would make transporting Danrey much easier, so- why are you smiling?

V6SHQyo.jpg

CAMBO: Nothing. It's just... we shut him down in Jool system year ago. And yet he's still here. :nervous laughter: Weird, isn't it?

ROZER: It, not “him†- it was a program, not a person. I'm going inside, the airlock seems to be undamaged.

CAMBO: Don't use it. We should depressurize the DEV in case there's some contaminant inside.

ROZER: If it won't be able to restore pressure we won't have much use of it.

CAMBO: Dan was seriously wounded – you want to risk a contamination of “Proteus�

ROZER: No.

:air hissing:

ROZER: It looks clean.

CAMBO: Clean?

ROZER: Empty. I'll see whether the solar panels are still working.

CAMBO: Shouldn't the batteries be dead by now?

ROZER: Let's hope there's enough power to make the solar-

CAMBO: They are unfolding! It worked!

ROZER: Good. Come here, it would take a while before it can move on its own and we need to check all the subsystems before we try to drive this thing.

CAMBO: Why? Let's check the DAV first and-

ROZER: We still need the spacesuit and driving instead of walking means we use less oxium. Come here and help me with that.

tjqaZH1.jpg

MjG2mBt.jpg

JOHNDON: Umph!

NED: Be careful!

MALLOCK: Yes, watch out Johndon. Mass stays the same in microgravity and we're all rather weak after months in zero gee.

JOHNDON: M-months? More like years.

NED: Whatever. Let's take a short break.

JOHNDON: Good idea. Phew, they are heavier than they look.

MALLOCK: Hmm, not really. It's just muscle atrophy I'm afraid. We should talk about this with Cambo when they're back, we may need to readjust our training schedule on our way to Kerbin.

NED: Definitely. I don't want to pass out after landing.

JOHNDON: I sounds k-kinda unrealistic to me, you know? Coming b-back home.

MALLOCK: Oh yes. Finally home, after all we've been through... but I feel better right now – at least we have a purpose with a clear goal.

NED: Unloading and moving containers?

MALLOCK: Well yes. Last months were just this dull humdrum routine, constant malfs and repairs. But now we're above Duna and if everything goes well soon we will be in low Kerbin orbit.

NED: I don't know whether several months can be defined as “soonâ€Â.

MALLOCK: After three years in deep space?

NED: Point taken. Hey Johnny, how are you feeling?

JOHNDON: I'm g-good.

MALLOCK: You don't look good. You know what, why don't you go to Jeb and ask him whether he needs any help while me and Ned take care of the supplies?

JOHNDON: Well...

NED: Don't worry, we'll handle this and you could use a longer break. Seriously. We'll take care of these boxes.

MALLOCK: Containers.

NED: Whatever, as long as they have food inside.

EGqwNBI.jpg

S4tCyYD.jpg

CAMBO: I really hope it's going to work or else we- where are you going?

ROZER: ...

4JGfHNf.jpg

CAMBO: Rozer? What is it?

ROZER: Shadows are longer now.

CAMBO: Huh?

ROZER: Nothing. Just a memory. Let's go.

jQsdQ4F.jpg

CAMBO: And? Will it get us in orbit?

ROZER: Yes.

CAMBO: Oh thanks Kod!

ROZER: Actually you should thank Sabatier.

CAMBO: Who?

ROZER: We used DAV for landing, so most of the fuel was depleted. DAV was designed to not only carry the crew back in orbit but also to transport experiments, samples and some equipment. To do so it needed more fuel however – and that's where Sabatier shows up.

CAMBO: I don't follow. Is he someone from the resupply mission? But you said it was fully automatic, wasn't it?

ROZER: Sabatier is dead - he was a chemist born in 19th century.

CAMBO: Huh?

bcrQbs6.jpg

ROZER: :sigh: Reaction of hydrogen with carbon dioxide at high enough temperature and pressure in the presence of a nickel catalyst produces methane and water. Water means LOX, liquid oxium that is, which together with methane can be used as a rocket fuel. Now LAMGML uses nitrogen tetroxide as an oxidizer for unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazin because it can be stored for a long time unlike liquid oxium or liquid helium. But here on Duna you have plenty of carbon dioxide – all KSC had to do was to sent one or two tonnes of hydrogen so that they could produce several tonnes of propellant. In-situ resource utilization at its finest. And it was much simpler than kethane conversion, though methane/LOX engine means that DAV had to be significantly bigger than LAMGML.

CAMBO: Okay...

ROZER: So to sum to up, we don't have enough fuel to make it into orbit – we have much more than that.

CAMBO: Great! This is fantastic!

ROZER: But there are also bad news – solar panels are broken.

CAMBO: What do you mean broken? Mechanical failure? They don't unfold?

WnUossZ.jpg

ROZER: Yes. Which means that from the moment we start the engine we're going to have hours at most before batteries die. I'm 61 percent on oxium, you?

CAMBO: Fifty six percent.

ROZER: We better hurry.

CAMBO: We're going to habitat now, right?

ROZER: Yes but the other one – they had equipment to Sabatier reaction in the second habitat and they must've used it.

CAMBO: Are you sure? It's much further away, why won't we just check the one which is nearby?

ROZER: It was meant to be temporary and they were to move to the other one. If we find the spacesuit, that's the place. Come – there's no time to lose.

ucCuvJ3.jpg

MD0nLsM.jpg

NED: Here. Watch out, it's heavy.

MALLOCK: I got it. Umph!

NED: Okay, this was the last one from this module.

MALLOCK: Good. :heavy breathing:

NED: Another pair of hands would be useful.

MALLOCK: Jeb needs him probably. I'll ask him. :floats closer to the intercom: Hey, if you don't need Johndon anymore we could use some help here.

NED: Shouldn't they land already? Ask him about Duna.

MALLOCK: Yes, about that Jeb, did they land? Is everything alright down there?

NED: He's not responding. Intercom broken?

MALLOCK: Again? But we checked it and it worked an hour or so ago. Hey Jeb, can you hear me?

NED: And?

MALLOCK: Still nothing.

NED: Well, let's go and ask him then.

MALLOCK: Okay. We could use some-

:lights turn off:

MALLOCK: What the hell?!

PROTEUS: ATTENTION. SWITCHING ALL NON-ESSENTIAL SYSTEMS TO STAND-BY MODE.

:emergency lights turn on:

MALLOCK: Fusion cores failure!?

NED: We would be dust by now, maybe-

MALLOCK: Hush!

NED: What?

MALLOCK: You hear anything?

NED: No, why?

MALLOCK: It wasn't impact, we would hear it if there was hull puncture. The pressure seems to be normal, I don't feel the air moving.

NED: That's good but it takes a serious malfunction to cause something like this. We should get to the command module ASAP.

MALLOCK: Right. Let's go. Ouch!

NED: You okay?

MALLOCK: I guess. :moans: Dammit, it's so dark here! What's the point of emergency lighting if you can't see anything?

NED: Just be careful. We have to get to the hatch first, then we'll split up.

MALLOCK: What?

NED: Are you kidding me? I have to check the fusion cores so that we won't spontaneously turn into rapidly expanding cloud of radioactive debris. You go to the command module and help Jeb and Johndon, I'm sure they are working on it right now.

MALLOCK: Of course, because intercom isn't working now too. :sigh: Who designed this?

NED: We're at the hatch – good luck.

MALLOCK: You too.

DeLUmGJ.jpg

ROZER: Second DEV.

ROZER: Let's do this quickly.

CAMBO: Do you think they may be in there?

ROZER: Only one way to find out.

ROZER: Doctor, we need to go.

CAMBO: I don't understand one thing.

ROZER: Yes?

CAMBO: They used Sabatier reaction to refill the fuel tanks of the ascent vehicle. They drove to the Source in DEVs. They came back to the base afterwards. Then something happened and since we know that the distress call was automatic they didn't send it.

ROZER: So?

CAMBO: Whatever it was... why they didn't use DAV to get into Duna Space Station?

ROZER: I have no idea but we don't have time to speculate if we don't want to run out of oxium. Come on.

WoeG59z.jpg

gaGCBZ8.jpg

CAMBO: Greenhouse.

ROZER: And it's intact. No signs of damage – and look at the plants, they seem to be healthy.

CAMBO: So the habitat is still powered.

ROZER: Not only that, it means ECLSS is still operational – pressure, heat, air revitalization... all of it is required for them to still be alive.

CAMBO: Maybe we can even get some oxium for ourselves. What do you think?

ROZER: Probably. Let's get inside.

xQzkTi8.jpg

CAMBO: Humidity, pressure and oxium level are all nominal. Atmosphere is breathable.

ROZER: Good.

CAMBO: Hello! Anybody here?!

ROZER: Hmm. It's too tidy here.

CAMBO: Jedgel! Corald! Fertop!

ROZER: Let's split up – the habitat ain't that big but it will be quicker that way. I'll check the command module, you check the greenhouse.

ROZER: Yes?

CAMBO: If you find their... bodies, don't touch.

ROZER: You think they found what, life? On Duna?

CAMBO: Extrakerbestrial pathogen may be extremely dangerous. We need to be careful.

nk2q4yf.jpg

CAMBO: My Kod... So much life. And the color... Only green spot on the entire planet...

ROZER: Doctor.

CAMBO: Aah! Don't sneak on me like that!

ROZER: There's nobody here. Alive or dead, they are not in the habitat.

CAMBO: So where are they?

ROZER: Not here. But I found the spare spacesuits, all four of them. We have oxium and a spacesuit for Dan.

CAMBO: Yes, oh Kod yes! But wait a moment, they may be contaminated – how can we be sure that we won't bring something with us to “Proteus�

ROZER: They are still sealed in pressurized containers, they weren't used at all. Which is strange considering what dunian dust and rocks do to spacesuit during EVA. :looks around: It's very... peaceful here.

CAMBO: We have everything we need then!

ROZER: Yes. Let's go.

CAMBO: Wait – shouldn't we try to contact “Proteus†beforehand?

ROZER: I tried.

CAMBO: And?

ROZER: Come to the command module, I'll show you.

3GaqLrB.jpg

CAMBO: I'm listening.

ROZER: The comms system is dead. Fried or not, it's completely non-responsive. And not only this – most of the systems and subsystems aren't working. Including primary ECLSS.

CAMBO: Oh.

ROZER: Exactly. Secondary Environmental Control and Life Support System is all there is and it's powered by a back-up generator.

CAMBO: What could be the cause of this all system failures? Didn't all the systems switch to stand-by automatically?

ROZER: They are not in stand-by – they are non-responsive. Solar proton event is the only thing which comes to mind. But on the other hand...

iAp89iO.jpg

CAMBO: Yes?

ROZER: Damage is limited in a way which resembles not something caused by high energy particles randomly disrupting electronics but rather something more... precise.

CAMBO: You think sabotage?

ROZER: It's hard to say but I wouldn't rule this out.

CAMBO: Who in his right mind would do such a thing? It would endanger everyone, including the person who did this.

ROZER: Maybe we wasn't in his right mind.

ROZER: We won't find any answers here. Let's get this spacesuit to Dan.

3aLAcSL.jpg

sfqC9W2.jpg

oKXd7Tr.jpg

CAMBO: We're almost done. Do you want another analgesic?

DANREY: No, I'm fine. Let's get this over with.

CAMBO: Alright – pull.

DANREY: ARGH FRAK!

ROZER: There. Now we just need to start your Personal Life Support System.

DANREY: Crap frak dammit!

CAMBO: Relax Dan, you're in the spacesuit now. We're good.

DANREY: Speak for yourself. Oh Lord... Just please be gentle when carrying me, okay?

ROZER: We'll try.

DANREY: Frak! Stop, stop, stop, please stop!

ROZER: Again? :heavy breathing:

CAMBO: His legs are broken. :heavy breathing: Dammit.

DANREY: Alright, you know what? Just put me here on this seat.

CAMBO: You have to be inside in case-

DANREY: Forget it doc, you can't put me inside the airlock and I can't climb that ladder. We're wasting time and oxium.

CAMBO: But DEV is going to bump while driving, you're gonna be much more uncomfortable when-

ROZER: He's right, we're wasting time. Stay with him here, I'll drive alone.

CAMBO: :sigh: Alright, alright. We'll stay here.

H7O8vbW.jpg

CAMBO: How are you feeling?

DANREY: Not that bad, all things considered. I could be dead by now.

CAMBO: We all could've died.

DANREY: Yeah. Rozer?

ROZER: What?

DANREY: The parachute deployment... Good call.

ROZER: Mhm.

DANREY: :sigh: Ow.

CAMBO: Be careful while breathing, you have bruised ribs too.

DANREY: Damn, I'm a real mess...

DANREY: Good thing we had you with us, Cambo. And that you found the spare spacesuit.

CAMBO: Yes.

bf9l08G.jpg

DANREY: So... you didn't find them, did you?

CAMBO: I'm sorry.

DANREY: All of that for nothing...

ROZER: It was to be expected. This whole thing was a mistake from the beginning.

DANREY: What were we supposed to do, assume they are all dead and leave them here?

ROZER: Perhaps.

8ZSWwwU.jpg

CAMBO: Rozer-

ROZER: Do you disagree with me? We received the signal more than a year ago – what chanced they had anyways with help arriving months after whatever happened here?

DANREY: We couldn't just left them.

ROZER: Jeb couldn't.

CAMBO: Here we go again...

DANREY: So you think this was pointless, right? That we should just abandon them?

ROZER: Being in charge means making hard decisions but always for the good of the mission and your men. Jeb risked both and for what? What our arrival here changed?

DANREY: He was trying to protect people he was responsible for.

ROZER: By endangering the rest of them? Sometimes you just have to accept the reality and minimize your losses.

DANREY: He was trying to protect them! :cringes: Oww, damn!

ROZER: Really? Let me ask you this then - who's going to protect the crew from him?

DANREY: ...

ROZER: Figures.

CAMBO: Look, the habitat.

F7s4Xgc.jpg

CAMBO: Shame we didn't check it.

DANREY: You didn't- stop the vehicle! Hey, stop it right now Rozer!

ROZER: What?

DANREY: Stop the damn car or I'll jump out of it!

CAMBO: Hey!

DANREY: You didn't check? You didn't check?!

CAMBO: Dan, could you please let me go?

ROZER: What the hell is going on?

DANREY: You stay! I don't trust you. :coughs: Doc, go there and check whether they are any survivors in the habitat.

CAMBO: Dan-

DANREY: Do it! We've come so far for this. We owe this to them.

ROZER: Waste of time.

DANREY: Shut up. Go, doc.

CAMBO: Listen-

DANREY: Go!

CAMBO: Alright, alright, I'll go. :sigh:

yZNzteQ.jpg

YCtcii6.jpg

PROTEUS: FUSION CORE B NOMINAL.

NED: Yes! But if both of them are working nominally... computer error?

:bounces from the floor and floats up into the corridor:

U3fiahv.jpg

CAMBO: I'm inside. :heavy breathing:

ROZER: Let me guess – the habitat is empty.

CAMBO: :heavy breathing: Well, uh-

2hLczob.jpg

DANREY: Check the inflatable module doc.

CAMBO: Okay.

ROZER: :sigh:

DANREY: Don't.

ROZER: Don't do what? Say that we're wasting our time? We do.

DANREY: You don't know that and as long as-

CAMBO: There's nobody here.

ROZER: See? Come back doctor, we still have a lot of work to do before we may start the engines in DAV.

DANREY: We're not done yet, they may still-

ROZER: Yes, we are. We're done. They are not here. We checked every single place where they could possibly be and we didn't find them. That's it. This base is all there is on the entire planet. It's barren radioactive wasteland where no life is possible – you get it? If they are not here they are dead.

CAMBO: Can we go now? :heavy breathing:

ROZER: Yest. It's about time we leave this planet.

5S8vrvl.jpg

4XdMkMQ.jpg

cy2KyzI.jpg

CAMBO: What is it Dan?

DANREY: Nothing. I'm just happy we're going home.

utULusa.jpg

CAMBO: You mean “Proteus�

DANREY: It is our home, isn't it?

CAMBO: I guess... in a way. We're ready, Rozer. Rozer?

O5LUdsh.jpg

ROZER: ...

ROZER: Hmm?

CAMBO: We're ready.

ROZER: Good. Let's go.

DANREY: Yeah. Uh! Dammit, it hurts like hell.

CAMBO: Just a little longer, Dan. Soon we will be on “Proteus†and I'll be able to take care of you with proper medical equipment. You'll be alright. Everything's going to be alright.

roiKEeJ.jpg

NED: Mal? Fusion cores are nominal, I checked them twice! Mal,

:silence:

NED: Mal! Can you hear me?! I'm at the hatch!

NED: :sigh:

NED: Okay, I'm coming to the command module then, just-

:bright flashlight blinds Ned:

NED: Uh, watch out with this thing, you – Jeb! What's the hell is going on, did you find the cause of the malfun-

JEB: Don't move. :points taser at Ned: Or I'll shoot.

QERbUnl.jpg

yEdh07v.jpg

MISSION STATUS

Sr3nO0N.png

JEB: Don't move. :points taser at Ned: Or I'll shoot.

Dun dun duuuun! :D

Seriously we need info on Laythe now.

I think the crew is at the 'Source' where there is some kind of glass dome with planet, water, a beach and a warm temp.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.