Drawing Tablet Recommendations?

Hello texturers! I'm looking at buying a drawing tablet for texturing better and I'd like to know what model you recommend, if you use or have used one.

I use a Mac, and I'm looking at either the Wacom Bamboo Splash or Capture as a starting point. Any reviews or thoughts on these? If you have a better tablet that's under $100, let me know what it is! I'd like to avoid spending too much as it's my first tablet and I don't have a lot of available money for things like this (a very unfortunate thing, I know) so value for price is a big point in my decision.

Thanks in advance!

OrbitusII

pencil and paper.

sorry,im not a big fan of drawing tablets with no screen(im the kind of guy who needs to see what he is drawing with is pencil,i cant make that transition between a monitor and tablet). but every one i know that has one,uses a bamboo.

Hmm wierd forums things happening, I replied to this yesterday and now my reply is gone...

Orbitus, I have spent alot of money on Tablets over the years, and tried Wacoms, Domino's you name it , either for work or for fun (the domino is the same tablet they created the special effects for independance day and lots of other movies, we bought it when ID4 was made, they were using it for its marketing.. "look what it can doo!!" (i was working in TV and film at the time)

For home, I always chose Genius Tablets, spend say $80 on the Genius M609, it is a fantastic tablet for the price and larger than the bamboo, with the same pressure sensitivity. I find 1024 levels is pretty sufficient for starting out. Dont bother with the 2048 pressure sensitive tablets until you get more comfortable with them.

Now, I do warn you do not cheap out and get the lower model, I had issues with that so I went to the m609. It's a great entry level/semi pro tablet that pretty much mimics a bamboo for a 3rd the price and you get much more area to draw on, and all the short cut buttons and dials for volume and brush size etc, so you can effectively

use the tablet as an all round input device.

https://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=genius+m609&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45580626,d.aGc&biw=1366&bih=622&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=0F53UfupJIOBiQe-z4HAAg

Edited by Devo

Thanks for the input so far!

1. I looked at the Intuos5 and the smallest version is still significantly out of my current price range. Maybe once I get some experience with using tablets I'll buy one. :)

2. I agree. Pencil and paper are one of the best tools for drawing. Unfortunately when we reconfigured our home network we lost the scanner functionality on our all-in-one, so until we figure that out I can't really do that. :huh::( I'll work on that though.

3. I like the overall look of the m609! Sadly I haven't been able to find sites that sell it besides the official one, and there it looks to be ~$140. Still, the review I could find was good, so I'm interested in doing more research on it. If you could get me some links that'd be great. :D

Thanks for the input so far!

1. I looked at the Intuos5 and the smallest version is still significantly out of my current price range. Maybe once I get some experience with using tablets I'll buy one. :)

2. I agree. Pencil and paper are one of the best tools for drawing. Unfortunately when we reconfigured our home network we lost the scanner functionality on our all-in-one, so until we figure that out I can't really do that. :huh::( I'll work on that though.

3. I like the overall look of the m609! Sadly I haven't been able to find sites that sell it besides the official one, and there it looks to be ~$140. Still, the review I could find was good, so I'm interested in doing more research on it. If you could get me some links that'd be great. :D

Intuos are fantastic, the stylus on those is one of the best I think. My problem is I have 2 kids, and while my 7 year old is gentle, my 5 year old thinks the stylus needs to be pressed so hard it has to imprint the plastic underlay sheet :( so I dont spend too much money on equipment at home, as long as it does the job I need, it's good enough for the bush, as we say here.

• 2 weeks later...
Try getting an iPad and an iPad stylus. Enjoy.

Oh yes. Paying $400 for an oversized iPod Touch that isn't even meant for drawing is an excellent solution. :rolleyes:

My recommendation is to get anything by Wacom. I got a Bamboo Capture. It's had a few hiccups but it does its job pretty damn well for a tablet that's under $100.

Although if you want to do textures for models in KSP, it's okay to go without a tablet.

I got an old Wacom, it's lasted me over 10 years and still going strong. Though I've not used it a 10th as much as I should (practice makes perfect, and I've not practiced. :( ).

I The Banboo range seems ok, but mine is from before then. Get the one up from the Bamboo if your budget stretches, saving an extra month or two will make a real difference. Also, only get a model with a pen!

• 5 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.