So I've Been Away for a While... And Have Questions

I honestly think the last time I really messed with KSP was around update 0.17.

So obviously there are features that I am unfamiliar with. First off, it looks like some new environmental factors have been added into successfully getting into space and creating a orbit. And some new "Target" feature that I have no idea what does. Bottom line this new Kerbal both entices and scares me. Can anyone fill me in on the new features? Possibly how new tools and parts can be used to my advantage? It would be nice if the flight and orbiting basics covered the new features, but it seems to be things I already know like AP and PER.

I've made it to the moon before in 0.17, so i am at least initiated.

"Target" puts a marker on your nav ball and puts an indicator on the screen with the distance between you and it.

This is also useful for the new maneuver nodes, which are basically guidelines you can set up to plot out burn courses.

AFAIK, the environmental effects like re-entry effects are only cosmetic. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I noticed no difference between my .18 and my .19 rockets performance during re-entry.

Also, docking ports, rover wheels, metal plates, girders and I beams, solar panels and lights, and a bunch of other fancy new things.

It's pretty much old Kerbal with a tool that tells you when to burn and in what direction (but it won't do it FOR you), a bunch of new parts, docking, improved graphics, and polish.

Welcome back Ancient Attero :)

There's a bunch of new things, not least of which are some new structural parts such as the beams and the the metal plates, but there are also rover wheels that need electricity, proper persistent docking, light s and batteries and solar panels.....

Plus re-entry heat effects, and an orbit predicting feature that can show you when you are going to move from one planet's SoI to another...

The Target thing lets you get info on your separation from other craft, and can be used to help you rendezvous with the new manoeuvre node system.

There were a ton of tutorials for all these things but they have mostly been lost, and players are gradually restoring them.

You can see the changelog here and there's tons of youtube tutorials still, look up Scott Manley's vids.

There's so much to cover since 0.17 though, we'll do our best but it's a big topic :)

Biggest game changer would have to be maneuver nodes. Eeloo is fun to get to, but not really a game changer.

Yes, re-entry effects are only cosmetic at this time.

Wait, docking came in 0.18? I thought it came in 0.17. Never mind, if it really came in 0.18, then THAT is the big game changer from what you're used to.

Thanks for all the tips. Of course it is always a bit nerve-racking getting a craft into space and then failing to obtain your goal because you are unfamiliar with new features. I'd be very interested in those tutorials if anyone has them.

Also what are these new Action Groups?

Action groups are quite useful... You can assign different parts or engines to be operated by hotkeys (default:1-9)... thus you can switch between engines, deploy solar pannels (power will be new for you too... don't leave home without it), and even set up an abort sequence if you so desire. You can set these up by clicking on the Action Group button in the VAB (top). Your parts list will change into the action group setup. When you are done, you can return to normal construction by clicking on the parts button (next to the action group button).

Good luck!

New planets, Dres, Pol, and Eeloo

New resource system keeps track of fuel in a whole new way, there are seven stock resources: Solid fuel (which will be familiar), liquid fuel (which is used alongside oxidizer in rockets and with intake air in jet engines), oxidizer is used in equal proportions with liquid fuel, and rocket fuel tanks carry both in equal proportions, intake air is required to run jet engines, it is gathered by the air intakes, electricity is used to power probes, lights, rover wheels, and ion engines, monopropellant is just another name for RCS fuel, and xenon gas is used to power ion engines. Right click on a tank and then alt+right click on another tank to bring up the resource transfer system, where you can move fuel between any two tanks that are attached to your vehicle in any way.

Probes. probes will cease to function if you do not supply them with electricity. Solar panels and RTGs are used to provide electricity. Also, a bunch of new probe-sized parts have been added.

Docking. This brings a whole new challenge to the game, since before there were not very many good reasons to rendezvous with other craft in orbit.

The manuever node system. Makes rendezvous actually manageable for new players, and almost easy for those of us who know what we're doing. Also, it makes everything else you do in orbit easier.

Cosmetic re-entry effects.

That should be a fairly exhaustive list of new things.

Approximately equal, the actual ratio is 0.9 fuel to 1.1 oxidizer.

Correct, my point is that the ratio never changes, it is the same for all rocket engines and all rocket fuel tanks, so you never have to worry about it unless you are building a vehicle with both rocket and jet engines.

I honestly think the last time I really messed with KSP was around update 0.17.

So obviously there are features that I am unfamiliar with. First off, it looks like some new environmental factors have been added into successfully getting into space and creating a orbit. And some new "Target" feature that I have no idea what does. Bottom line this new Kerbal both entices and scares me. Can anyone fill me in on the new features? Possibly how new tools and parts can be used to my advantage? It would be nice if the flight and orbiting basics covered the new features, but it seems to be things I already know like AP and PER.

I've made it to the moon before in 0.17, so i am at least initiated.

try this guide out , helped me alot .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.