Automatic docking

Pawelk198604

HydroJeb is another docking autopilot option. I prefer ORDA.

Where i can get this MechJeb pre release?

O always have some problem with docking, i don't understand why i'm always forced to select docking port, i think that when i select target on orbit the on board computer should select default free docking port.

From what I've heard of mechjeb 2.0 pre release is that it is bugged. I currently use ORDA, and if that fails, mechjeb SASS to keep me aligned.

Buuu, the mechjeb 2 is to complicated :(

But the auto dock function is relay really really cool:)

The trick to use MechJeb 2 is to switch off Rendez-vous autopilot when it finally aligned both ships, but before it started to burn towards target - or else it will plow straight into the second ship/station at speed guaranteeing mutual destruction :D You can then dock manually, or use docking autopilot with maximum speed limit set to safe value - but docking autopilot will use RCS extensively

2.0.7 does Not use much monoprop at all. Assuming your ship is well balanced, and it also has several options built in to "balance" your RCS thrusters if they are poorly balanced.

I have had it glitch out on me a couple of times where it decides to stop moving towards the target port, but 8/10 times it works flawlessly and efficiently.

Yes and no... Mechjeb 2.0 serves me 2 docks out of 10. Every times it fails, I think it tries to compensate way to much with the RCS, resulting in non-docks, spins, bumps and minor damage collisions.

I know docking is hard and I would never have believed this myself, but you will get the hang of it. In the end you are way better of with manual docking (using a docking cam) 'cause it's way more precise. I'm not claiming to be a docking expert, but 5 out of 10 I get it right, still better than Mechjeb. I'm sure that with some more practice, I'm able to score a 8 out of 10. Each time I do it, it gets a little easier.

The ironic part of this failing Mechjeb auto docking is that it pushed me in the right direction. I got so frustrated about not being able to dock myself that I thought Mechjeb 2.0 was going to be my saviour. After it turned out to be a disaster, I felt like I HAD to do better than a computer script. Thanks to Mechjeb 2.0 I learned how to dock manually :sticktongue:

The MechJeb 2 is low fuel-effective, when i used classical mechjeb it's cutting throttle or first stage to minimum, using mainly power of six SRB, but new MechJeb using main engine to the maximum when, it don't need to this. That caused my Apollo like Kerbollo Crew Carrier almost run out of fuel in my X200 fuel tank, I had to to transfer some fuel from second Kerbollo Crew Carrrier docked to Space Satation, I don't have to strand poor Jebediah on orbit :) (he was on landing crew, i sent him in previous expedition as Commander)

Guest trolling trains

i need to start getting into the hang of docking if i want to make a space station lol

The MechJeb 2 is low fuel-effective, when i used classical mechjeb it's cutting throttle or first stage to minimum, using mainly power of six SRB, but new MechJeb using main engine to the maximum when, it don't need to this.

The "don't exceed terminal velocity" function turned into an option that defaults to off, as do all the other options that might limit the throttle. If you turn that option on, it is quite willing to let the SRBs provide most of the thrust. The other options are a max acceleration value and a don't-overheat option.

Mechjeb sounds good, but why would anyone autodock? That's most of the fun...

...ok, just answered my own question when I thought about station building... never mind...

I have to confess, I use Mechjeb for the takeoffs and for landing when I'm feeling lazy...

The really annoying thing about the autopilot for mechjeb is that it provides you with really useful 3-axis data for movement speed relative to your target, BUT you can't have it without turning on the autopilot!

Actually you can. Create a new window and add it. It is under target. I think it's called target velocity or something. Makes Manuel docking so much better. Between that and docking cam I dock successfully 9 times out of 10

I just run a test on 2.0.7. Built a basic CSM style ship. Auto launched two, ran auto rendezvous and auto dock. Result = two ships docked with no input from me apart from a few clicks.

I've been using mechjeb for launching, orbital maneuvers and keeping ships stable. This is a step too far.

Manual docking aren't very hard with proper guidance - vanilla KSP lacks information about alignment with docking port... lazor docking camera (available on spaceport) mod is just priceless :).

Autopilots are very useful, but trial&error learning to do this manual is fun and you can get the ropes faster :).

Manual docking aren't very hard with proper guidance - vanilla KSP lacks information about alignment with docking port... lazor docking camera (available on spaceport) mod is just priceless :).

Autopilots are very useful, but trial&error learning to do this manual is fun and you can get the ropes faster :).

I've found the relative position/velocity readouts in MechJeb 2.x are invaluable. In fact, I rely less upon the docking cam now that I have that simple readout -- I can usually line up the docking ports well enough just by eye-sight alone.

I've not tried the MJ2 auto-dock. It uses up too much RCS for my liking, I can hand-dock with less than 10 units of RCS most of the time. However, I hear it's been tweaked for less RCS usage in the latest version, so I might try it again.

I've found the relative position/velocity readouts in MechJeb 2.x are invaluable. In fact, I rely less upon the docking cam now that I have that simple readout -- I can usually line up the docking ports well enough just by eye-sight alone.

I've not tried the MJ2 auto-dock. It uses up too much RCS for my liking, I can hand-dock with less than 10 units of RCS most of the time. However, I hear it's been tweaked for less RCS usage in the latest version, so I might try it again.

Now I know why the Russian Space Agency forced cosmonauts to manually dock Progress to Mir, they want to save RCS fuel :-)