Part count to lag?

Scottiths

Just a general question, but at what part counts do you tend to being lagging and at what point is it almost unplayable?

I start lagging at about 180 parts and when I hit 250 it starts getting to the point where I am better off letting mechjeb do my 3 minute maneuver burns and coming back in 15 minutes when they are done.

For the curious:

Windows 7 64bit

Intel Core 2 2.66GHz

4gigs ram

Nvidia 8800 GTS

As a side note I have not updated my computer in any way in the last 5 years, so I consider 180 parts to be pretty good considering. If I were to consider new specs, what should I do to get the best KSP experience?

I start getting laggy around 1000 parts. I haven't gone much past that in a single ship to see where it becomes unplayable. I wouldn't want to try docking at the 1000 part point... but I think I could...

Intel Core i7 3.20 GHz

32 GB ram

Windows 7 64 bit

Nvidia GeForce GTX 680

I tried making a town... It's really laggy... all buildings together and the road are probably about 1200-1400 parts.

Edit to add:

OH man ALL my posts are gone! I expected some loss due to the forum reset... but everything? I even lost my one reputation up vote ;_;

Edited by FITorion

I start hitting a physics slow down at about 400ish parts, I've docked with stations where the total was 1,000 + parts though.

i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz

8GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM

Windows 7 64-bit

MSI Twin Frozr 7850 OC Edition

There's no "best ksp experience" computer currently. Until they do some optimizing the game is always going to be the bottleneck. Running an i7 [email protected] with 32gigs and a gtx Titan I barely get better than someone with half of each of those.. That being said, in nvidia terms anything over a 580 will let you run ksp at max settings, the CPU does 99% of the work currently so focus on upgrading that!

If you're experiencing bad framerate but are sure your machine can handle it graphically, try going into settings and moving the physics delta-time slider to the right. It will increase framerate at the cost of slowing down the simulation/not running it in real time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.