[AAR] Odysseus: Voyage to Jool

RogueMason

CHAPTER 12: POL

Several hours later...

MOGogvcl.png

Bill: "I've got the manoeuvre node set up. We just need your fine touch to get us on path."

Jeb: "Alright. Sterling job once again, Bill."

Bill: "Thanks Jeb."

Bob: "No praise for the guy who realigned the electromagnets in the docking ports?"

Jeb: "Admittedly, you did well on that, but Lengas did most of the other things."

Lengas: "Although there wasn't actually much else; just a bit of scratched paintwork and buckled metal..."

A few days later...

Hldd2G5l.png

Jeb: "Splendid, we're now en route for Pol! Time to see if it's as funny as it looks."

Lengas: "That's not very nice. The smaller worlds don't like being called 'funny'."

Jeb: "Wha...?"

Lengas: "Kidding. Anyway, when we get there, I'd like to go to the surface, seeing as it has a puzzling composition from what we can tell."

Jeb: "Bill, any complaints?"

Bill: "For the fact that I'm not getting the chance to go to the surface of any of these moons? None at all. I'm content sitting here in the ship, making sure you all land and take-off safely."

Lengas: "I don't mind if you want to go Bill, but if you do, bring back some good samples for me."

Bill: "Really Lengas, you go. You deserve it. I've done more exploration than you, so it's only fair that you get to do this."

Lengas: "You sure?"

Bill: "I'm sure."

1 week later...

GALsuB2l.png

Jeb: "Well, there it is. Looks sharp and pointy."

Bill: "How... astute of you, Jeb."

Jeb: "I know, I'm very observant." *Chuckles*

Bill: "It won't take much to get into orbit and change the inclinations, so our fuel reserves should be fine for now."

Jeb: "Ok. Lengas, get yourself suited up."

Lengas: "On it, Jeb."

5P066ejl.png

ppPEBszl.png

Z0KZhmcl.png

Lengas: "I'm clear of the docking port. Looks like our repair job worked."

Bob: "Nice to know..."

Jeb: "Good luck, buddy. See you on the other side!"

Lengas: "You too. Alright, here goes."

qyunbnrl.jpg

Lengas: "De-orbit burn complete, I'm descending now."

mL14RYSl.jpg

A few minutes later...

QeJSwwDl.png

Lengas: "Pol, a tiny little asteroid far different to anything else in our system, has finally been landed on by our people. This shows that through our determination, we can achieve anything."

Jeb: "Nice speech."

Bill: "Might have bested your 'One small step...' speech on Mun."

Jeb: "Don't push it, that was a classic."

Lengas: "Alright then... where to start?"

Jeb: "Spend a few hours on the surface, seeing as we're not likely to visit here again any time soon."

Lengas: "If you say so. Now, these rocks are very weird. Low gravity did this undoubtedly..."

qQ7GVYnl.jpg

LEl9WBKl.png

ipEdVdFl.jpg

BgptO6wl.jpg

Lengas: "Huh, weird. I know this is a low gravity environment, but this rock is almost floating! Fascinating."

Jeb: "Remind anybody of anything?"

Bill: "Duna? The floating rocks that the guys from Outreach found?"

Jeb: "Exactly."

Lengas: "For this phenomenon to occur in at least two places in the system, there must be an unusual force that exists."

Jeb: "Why not just call it 'The Force'?"

Lengas: "Don't be silly, it's just speculation anyway..."

Tm3266kl.jpg

CHAPTER 13: THE GOODBYES

Lengas: "Odysseus, this is Lengas, I'm preparing to lift-off from Pol, over."

Jeb: "Ok Lengas. Make sure you have all your samples and data secure. I don't want anything left behind with the lander."

Lengas: "Sad that we have to leave this venerable little ship behind, but I guess we have to if we want to get home."

Jeb: "Aye, and it did us proud. It got us to places we'd never set foot on before. That deserves a good place in the history of space travel. Anyway, we'll launch the final probe whilst you're on the way up."

Lengas: "Copy that."

r1nq0j8l.jpg

ADs9hMDl.jpg

y1ImtPUl.jpg

3hlSGpol.jpg

Lengas: "Alright, beginning lift-off from Pol. I'll get into equatorial orbit in a few minutes."

Jeb: "Copy that, Bill's tracking you now."

QFG3xivl.jpg

Bob: "Beginning final probe deployment. This should be on the surface in about fifteen minutes."

Jeb: "Alright, Bob. I can count on you to do this."

15 minutes later...

NCpN75Al.png

Bob: "There we go, the final probe is on the ground."

Jeb: "Bravo. Bill, how's Lengas?"

Bill: "Good trajectory. He's just established an equatorial prograde orbit, something we should now focus on."

Jeb: "Ok, I'll get us on track now. Lengas, you there?"

Lengas: "I read you."

Jeb: "Be advised we're now going equatorial. Just wait for rendevouz until we are done."

Lengas: "Alright Jeb. I'll see you in about an hour?"

Jeb: "With a little luck, yeah, you will."

tQDqcUil.jpg

IqYrzlRl.png

Lengas: "Making final approach."

Bill: "I'm tracking you. Be careful."

Lengas: "I won't damage the docking port, I know we'll still be needing it for the next refuelling ship."

taj2xTnl.jpg

Lengas: "Almost... there, docked. Begin fuel and data transfer. I'll bring over the samples I collected."

Jeb: "Ok, good piloting Lengas."

Lengas: "I should hope it was good piloting, I have flown an H-37C Hawk fighter in orbit against an evil robot alien!"

Jeb: "You're almost as good as myself, Lengas!"

Lengas: "Heh..."

sigUb8ml.jpg

A few minutes later...

Lengas: "That should be the last sample, I've scoured the pod."

Bob: "All the fuel and data has been transferred over to the main ship. We're good to undock the lander whenever you're ready, Jeb."

Jeb: "Ok then, begin separation."

09JDCaDl.png

Lengas: "Separation complete, thrust away with RCS."

Jeb: "Ok... there, we should be opening the gap decently now. Goodbye, you incredible little ship. You served us well and did us proud."

BOXEyAcl.png

akkwe7Ll.png

Bill: "Jeb, if we leave now, we can arrive in Laythe orbit."

Jeb: "Buckle up then! Firing the engines in five seconds..."

Lengas: "So long Pol, you weird little rock."

KGVHWw0l.png

d0DXABNl.png

Bill: "There, we're en route for Laythe."

Jeb: "Ok then. Now, let's find out about our fuel shipment..."

NQowp4fl.png

At this point, I think I should point out that the Mechani-Kraken was assembled from the remains of the Zodiac (story-wise, not actually constructed from remains in-game...), which is mentioned in Outreach at the start of this chapter specifically. There are no remains anywhere around the Jool system (functioning craft don't count as remains), plus the Kraken gave Bob a merciful warning, so...

:rolleyes:

Fan fiction for fiction time! :D

If you want :P

Nice to know. Duly noted.

...What about Voodoo-Kraken, then?

Unfortunately, recent studies have shown that the Kraken does not like any supernatural tricks, only those that are quantum physics-related. So, if the Kraken were to accept voodoo, then there would likely be an interstellar disturbance as the Kraken society wars with itself :P

CHAPTER 14: LAYTHE

NQowp4fl.png

Jeb: "Ok then. Now, let's find out about our fuel shipment..."

Bob: "Patching you in to control... there, channel open."

Jeb: "Control, do you read?"

KSC: "We read you Jeb. Asking for your fuel?"

Jeb: "That I am. What's the situation?"

uPAVKrtl.png

KSC: "It's en route now, as we speak. Should be there in a little under a year now."

Jeb: "Naturally. If only we had some sort of faster-than-light engine for this sort of thing. Then again, doesn't make much difference, we still need to wait for our next transfer window..."

KSC: "Yeah. Anyway, is there anything else you need?"

Jeb: "Not right now. Thanks control, Jeb out."

A few days later...

WGAIlkSl.png

Bob: "It's so much like Kerbin, it's unreal."

Jeb: "Except for the lower gravity, thinner atmosphere, high radiation risk from the ionised particles in Jool's magnetic field, and, of course, the fact that 95% of the moon is covered in water."

Bob: "Who's Mr. Fact-Stater now, huh?"

Bill: "I'd still like to see a colony base here one day."

Jeb: "That's a long time into the future. Maybe five decades?"

Bill: "Well, look at Outreach, on the surface of Duna after, what, forty years of space travel by our species? A Laythe colony isn't that problematic."

Jeb: "I wish. No doubt we'll see a base, eventually. Maybe when we're retired from the program."

Lengas: "Maybe they'll retire you to the colony base!"

Bill: "I'd like that."

Jeb: "It would be interesting... Anyway, time to adjust the trajectory a bit. Burn in ten seconds."

t7ukYogl.png

9F1KUO5l.png

Bill: "There's nothing we can do right now, we're still going on a polar trajectory."

Jeb: "We'll sort that out later then, won't we? Bob, retract the panels for aerobraking."

Bob: "On it."

lHeDJW3l.png

LujEpEUl.jpg

HCTkAFjl.png

Jeb: "Here we go..."

Bob: "I'll monitor the sensors, see if Laythe really is like Kerbin."

Jeb: "We already know it's like Kerbin; the Interplanet 4 mission to here, remember?"

Bob: "I'll still monitor sensors anyway..."

CL6Q1oUl.png

Bob: "Temperature is rising. 1000K... 1200K..."

Lengas: "Structural integrity is at 96.4%."

Jeb: "We're doing well. Just a few more minutes..."

A few minutes later...

xzuMhMIl.png

1jeNVRxl.png

Jeb: "Aerobrake complete. Extend the solar panels again please, Bob."

Bill: "We are in orbit, eccentric and very much inclined from equatorial."

Jeb: "I'll get that sorted out. We have the necessary fuel."

1/2 hour later...

wD6qmndl.png

Bill: "No way, we're actually this close to the Interplanet 4 TU?"

Jeb: "That's pretty incredible, really. How long has it been here for?"

Bob: "Something like 12 years now..."

Jeb: "That long since any Kerbals were last in the Jool system..."

Several orbits later...

d2GJJSKl.png

Jeb: "Aaaand breath. We're now in an equatorial orbit, with fuel to spare, remarkably."

Lengas: "Now we just wait."

Jeb: "Aye. Wait... so, board games?"

ORVCd2jl.png

y1of8jtl.png

I like this story a lot. Do you have any plans after this story

At the moment, my options are:

1. Strengthen the ties between Kerbin and Duna.

2. Go to Eeloo (somehow...).

3. Grand tour (unlikely at the moment, but will no doubt be rewarding).

The first one is the most likely, but may not feature in a story of its own. If it were to appear, it would be in the grand tour.

At the moment, my options are:

1. Strengthen the ties between Kerbin and Duna.

2. Go to Eeloo (somehow...).

3. Grand tour (unlikely at the moment, but will no doubt be rewarding).

The first one is the most likely, but may not feature in a story of its own. If it were to appear, it would be in the grand tour.

Can't wait. What ever you do I'm certain it will be brilliant.

CHAPTER 15: SHIPMENT

One year later...

56zTYZll.png

Jb1gnocl.png

ARV-2: [COMMAND: AEROBRAKE PREPARATION. BEGIN ALIGNEMENT]

KSC: "There we go, it's still ok for aerobraking. Odysseus, this is control, just letting you know that your fuel is preparing to aerobrake around Jool now."

Bill: "Yeah, I'm tracking it now."

Jeb: "At long last, eh?"

KSC: "At long last indeed. After you're fuelled, you're to leave Laythe orbit and get settled into a Jool orbit that won't be affected by any of its moons. They'll play havoc with your trajectory home."

Jeb: "Understood."

P2OGDOyl.png

paV03S6l.png

86I5DGzl.png

ARV-2: [AEROBRAKE COMPLETE. NEW INPUT REQUIRED]

KSC: "Send the Laythe transfer signal."

ARV-2: [COMMAND: LAYTHE TRANSFER. MANOEUVRE NODE CREATED, AWAITING BURN POINT]

nbh1iakl.png

3pKivSMl.png

KSC: "Laythe intercept established. Odysseus, should be just a few hours now before you get your fuel."

Jeb: "Copy that, and thanks control. What would we do without you?"

A few hours later...

z6XEDBul.png

cfycz9Il.png

ARV-2: [bEGIN LAYTHE AEROBRAKE PROCEDURE]

fOJQs1Ql.png

yeueqOul.png

Bill: "The fuelling vessel completed its aerobrake. It's going to be here in just 2 more hours."

Jeb: "Nice to know that we will be able to go home."

35wOSsil.png

2 hours later...

Ef7172Tl.png

Jeb: "Carefully does it..."

Bob: "Slow down by 0.1m/s, that should be enough."

Jeb: "Alright, 0.1m/s... done."

Lengas: "Docking in three seconds."

*Metallic thud*

Bob: "We're docked to the fuelling vessel."

Jeb: "Take every ounce of fuel that we can; liquid, oxidiser, monopropellant, all of it."

Lengas: "Transfer has begun. Should be just five minutes."

Jeb: "Try and salvage some metal off that thing, we could use it."

Lengas: "You want me to go out and vandalise the fuel vessel?"

Bob: "Our hull integrity could be better after that micro-meteorite scraped us the other week."

Jeb: "Remove some struts, there should be enough metal there to help fix Odysseus up for now."

Lengas: "Alright, alright..."

A few minutes later...

CpEzcyDl.png

Jeb: "We're clear of the fuelling ship. Let's get into Jool orbit, 12000 by 12000 kilometres."

Bill: "Trajectory set, just need to wait for the burn point."

sygnlIMl.png

47IwtMcl.png

CHAPTER 16: THERE AND BACK AGAIN

0feRJXAl.png

Bill: "It's a bit convoluted, no thanks to Tylo, but there's definitely a Kerbin encounter there."

Jeb: "Tylo's making us expend a bit too much fuel. If we wait another day, we won't have to go through as much delta-v."

Bill: "I suppose not. Calculating new trajectory... there, that should do -- hold, no encounter."

Jeb: "But it's pretty damn close to Kerbin. A mid course correction will get us home, no problem."

Bob: "Jeb, that's incredibly risky! What if we miss?"

Jeb: "We won't miss, because I know how to pilot this ship! I'm Jebediah Kerman, and I will get us all home!"

Bill: "Ego kicking in again?"

Jeb: "Sorry, but it's on me if I mess up."

Lengas: "You won't mess up. Like you said, you're Jebediah Kerman; the best of the best. I trust you to get us home."

Bob: "We all do, mate."

Jeb: "Thanks guys, that... that means a lot. Right then, we have a home planet to catch, so let's get to it, shall we?"

y0j5FEWl.png

Jeb: "Engines engaged."

Lengas: "Fuel consumption and structural integrity are both very good."

Bill: "Current trajectory points to us just missing Kerbin's SOI by a few thousand kilometres. Nothing a bit of manoeuvering later on can't handle."

A few minutes later...

Jeb: "Engine stop, we are now headed home, pretty much. Everyone, take as many pictures as you want while you can, we won't be visiting Jool again for quite some time I think."

Bill: "It's been an incredible few years around here. The first successful mothership to Jool, and it was ours to fly."

Jeb: "We still need to reach home before it's a success, but we ARE going to reach home, I promise you that."

Lengas: "I'd say it's a success nonetheless; we landed on three unvisited moons, put a probe around one, and nothing serious happened to us."

A few days later...

Me1CvTvl.png

Bill: "How mind-boggling. It's so small, yet it's so big."

Jeb: "We're insignificant, although I like to think we're the masters of space."

Bob: "When you invent the FTL engine, then I'll call us the masters of space.

Jeb: "I might go and work on that, you know?"

Bill: "Doubt it, you like flying too much. Besides, whenever you mess with tools, things tend to break."

Jeb: *Jokingly* "I'm offended..."

11 months later...

ZeCiMFrl.png

Bill: "Just as you said, a mid-course manoeuvre will get us to Kerbin."

Jeb: "Lengas, prepare the engines. Burn point is coming up in half an hour."

Lengas: "Alright. How much fuel is this move going to deprive us of?"

Jeb: "Not much, we're expending about 500m/s of delta-v."

Lengas: "Good, we'll still have plenty to make orbit around Kerbin. We might not have much left in Kerbin orbit though..."

1/2 hour later...

e64gF7xl.png

aBjpk70l.png

Bill: "Encounter confirmed! We're going home!"

Bob: "YES!"

Lengas: "Woohoo!"

Jeb: "I told you I could pull it off! Odysseus, the first ship to return from a trip to Jool! Now all we need to do is make orbit around our little blue marble floating around space and we're the best damn Kerbonauts that ever lived!"

2VL4xUxl.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.