Attention Mod-Makers

Its to do with the flattening of the image, if you lock it you are flattening the image and therefore it compresses to 24bit. If you do not flatten the image before saving it will retain its 32bit compression that is utilized for editing. Just don\'t flatten the image or if its already flattened double click it to change it from 'Background' (locked) to a normal editable layer.

Doing this before saving will fix your issue :)

No need for ms paint or fancy plugins

hmm, the DL link for the droplet fix was broken - fixed it: www.moachcraft.xpg.com.br/whatnot/Moach_KSP_TextureFix.zip :cheers:

So how do I make this thing work? Followed your instructions but when I drag all the png\'s onto the app, all it does is open Photoshop, and then Photoshop proceeds to sit there and just idly stare at me. Never ends up doing anything.

EDIT: Even just tried doing a single png at a time, still same thing.

The difference between a 32bit and 24bit PNG is the Alpha channel. If the image is set as an 8bit per channel image and there are four channels, Alpha, Red, Green, and Blue, you get a 32bit image. You can even get a 64bit depth if the image is 16bits per channel. If you use Photoshop\'s Save As feature and save as a PNG, it will create a full 32bit ARGB PNG. If you use the Save for Web & Devices, it attempts to minimize the file size, so if there is no transparency, it will only save the RGB channels and create a 24bit PNG. If it has some transparency, it\'s forced to save as a full ARGB 32bit PNG.

Arrr!

Capt\'n Skunky

So how do I make this thing work? Followed your instructions but when I drag all the png\'s onto the app, all it does is open Photoshop, and then Photoshop proceeds to sit there and just idly stare at me. Never ends up doing anything.

EDIT: Even just tried doing a single png at a time, still same thing.

yep, noted -- i have verified this same problem myself.... that thing is busted, not sure why...

if anything, creating an action and batch to do this is quite easy....

open any of the redbugged files

create a new action and start recording

double click the background layer (promote it to 'layer 0')

save and close

stop recording

now, go to file->automate->create droplet...

check that the selected action is the one you just created....

choose somewhere to save the new droplet file (overwrite the old one, perhaps)

check all the four checkboxes, set destination to 'none'

now, create yourself a new one, then drop all the remaining 24-bit pngs found in the parts folder to it.... should work :thumbup:

mind then, that\'s exactly how i created the old one... facepalm award goes to adobe for that thing only works on the PC it was created (so much for sharing.... which ironically, was the whole purpose of them droplets)

Hello I am new to the forums, however I have played the game for awhile now.

I have followed this thread for the past few days after encountering this error my self and have a solution of my own to add.

My brother and I have come up with program that will batch convert all the 24 bit PNG files in the parts folder to 32 bit format using the .Net Framework 4.0, this may also work on Mono for Mac users as well but this has not been tested.

You can download the program here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10945047/KerbalImageConverter.zip

This program has been tested a few times with no issues, however we still recommend that you back up your files to be on the safe side.

All you have to do is place the EXE in your KSP folder and run it.

Note: It will take a few minutes to convert the files if you have a lot of parts.

The source code for the program is be available upon request.

If there is any features you want to be added to the program just ask.

@anti-sanity

The scrubber works great, almost everything is clean, except I keep getting:

System.OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile<String filename, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement>

at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile<String filename>

at KerbalImageConverter.Program.Convert<String filename>

at KerbalImageConverter.Program.Main<String [] args>

It reminds me to 'ensure this program is placed in the 'ksp.exe', which it is.

This message shows up after converting approx 94 of the 300 mod part folders. I know it isn\'t going to convert the ones that are okay, but i noticed it does at least 'look' into each folder.

Any ideas?

@anti-sanity

The scrubber works great, almost everything is clean, except I keep getting:

System.OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile<String filename, Boolean useEmbeddedColorManagement>

at System.Drawing.Image.FromFile<String filename>

at KerbalImageConverter.Program.Convert<String filename>

at KerbalImageConverter.Program.Main<String [] args>

It reminds me to 'ensure this program is placed in the 'ksp.exe', which it is.

This message shows up after converting approx 94 of the 300 mod part folders. I know it isn\'t going to convert the ones that are okay, but i noticed it does at least 'look' into each folder.

Any ideas?

The instructions say to place the scrubbers exe in the kerbal folder not inside the ksp.exe

Hello I am new to the forums, however I have played the game for awhile now.

I have followed this thread for the past few days after encountering this error my self and have a solution of my own to add.

My brother and I have come up with program that will batch convert all the 24 bit PNG files in the parts folder to 32 bit format using the .Net Framework 4.0, this may also work on Mono for Mac users as well but this has not been tested.

You can download the program here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10945047/KerbalImageConverter.zip

This program has been tested a few times with no issues, however we still recommend that you back up your files to be on the safe side.

All you have to do is place the EXE in your KSP folder and run it.

Note: It will take a few minutes to convert the files if you have a lot of parts.

The source code for the program is be available upon request.

If there is any features you want to be added to the program just ask.

This is fantastic!!

Make a thread about this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Just wanted to let everyone know about an important change done on the 0.11 version.

As of version 0.11, all part textures are compressed to DXT format on load, to enable mip-maps and improve performance.

However, one issue has been spotted with 3rd party parts.

On a few textures, the loaded map will appear to be tinged red. That is most probably due to byte-order encoding and alpha channels, so it\'s strongly recommended that all mod-makers check their texture maps, since it\'s very likely that this issue will appear.

We don\'t want to create an alternate way to load textures this time, since this is very important for improving performance.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Cheers

what about using dxt textures directly? it would save a lot of processing at load time doing conversions to the proper format. i can understand needing to match video card caps but for most kinds of textures (particularly diffuse), dxt1 or dxt5 will do, and those are supported on practically everything. you might have issues with normal maps. bc5 is superior to dxt5nm (its essentially 2 dxt5 alpha channels), but its a newish format thats not supported on older video cards, and it would be bad to convert from one lossy format to another. png is nice and all but its really not a texture format, and the game is gonna convert it anyway. not to mention both ati and nvidia have conversion tools for free, so its not like its gonna make the modders life all that difficult. just my 2 cents.

• 2 months later...

I agree. Letting us export DDS files directly into the game would avoid some issues, especially when it comes to mipping. The algorithm you currently use isn\'t very good and neither is the compression on the textures. If we had control over the final DDS files we can manually edit the mipmaps to get better results.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.