[0.23.5] Hollow Structures & Hulls (Updated: 2014-04-09)

Alskari

Update released.

-Vulture CP now has a very basic IVA.

-4m Wing section added.

Plugs still only have two nodes (oops) & no spacers yet (double oops). I got excited making the wing section yesterday evening and forgot about these. I may make a few .cfg edits or forum posts, but as of now consider me out for the next few weeks.

Enjoy!

I'm going to keep a log here of issues and will continue to update it until I here back from you.

For greater customisability, you could add a few panels that could be attached flush into the 4m Structural Frame. They would have the same features of your other parts, but you could create "customized" rooms (ex. a room with 3 holes in the roof, a flat floor, 2 windows on one side and a wall on the other).

The 2m Crew Deck could be repurposed as bunks, storage or instrument panels.

Edited by Gus

Knocked out a small update before the long weekend. Added extra nodes to the plugs, made a few spacers, reworked the crew decks, included two example ships that can escape Kerbin.

Have fun!

I'm sure artificial gravity would work because when I apply thrust my kerbals slam into the back wall. I will definitely check this out myself. Great idea. Will post results.

[Edit] Doesn't really work cause you can't stand up.

Edited by Gus

Getting them to stand up is the tricky bit regarding artificial gravity. Although there was a reddit post about a guy driving a rover inside a sphere he'd made out of the vanilla 4x4 panels.

Also realized last night that I didn't verify the 2m crew deck. You can't get kerbals back out again. Will fix soon.

My new rotating space station. No really, it's spinning.... honest.

0ocEbnl.png

Yeah, I can't get my kerbals to stand up either. Maybe if I spin my station really, really fast. :rolleyes:

Edited by Gus

So i can now make a proper base for my kerbals instead of having them cooped up in hitchhiker cans? Could i use this to store vehicles on the Munar surface?

Also, i'm going to try this out with Hooligan Lab's Submarine mod.

Edited by kodemunkey

uhh i have a bug to report.....

whenever i download this mod and load the game at the end of the loading screen the game crashes saying that it had a runtime error so do you know why it does that or is their a fix for it

and yes i do have lots of mods

Edit: although for some reason whenever this happens there is no crash report found

Edited by Helix935

Helix935, the only thing i can think of is that you're putting the HSH-V7_2 folder in GameData, or you're not putting the VNG folder in GameData (not that I know if these would be problems). The mod is about 34 MB - large, but not huge, so it's size probably isn't the problem. Good luck, then you'll be able to post pictures of your new hollow rovers like me.

IzkHmvp.jpg

Edited by Gus

oh that explains alot

Edit: also just in case so that i can narrow down which one it is am i suppose to just put the stuff inside the HSH into all the other folders manually or what because then i can fix this if i know for sure

Edited by Helix935

oh that explains alot

Edit: also just in case so that i can narrow down which one it is am i suppose to just put the stuff inside the HSH into all the other folders manually or what because then i can fix this if i know for sure

Put HSH in GameData, so you get GameData/HSH.

Put VNG in GameData, so you get GameData/VNG.

That's it. Good luck.

Edited by Gus

Alskari, I've been looking at the masses of your parts. I noticed that the 4m parts usually weighed 2 times more than their 2m counterparts. I think that, realistically, they should be 4 times their mass.

You might think that that they should even be 8 times the mass. That is true for fuel tanks where the volume is filled will mass, but not for things like boxes (or double boxes with "hollow parts").

So I think we're really looking at surface area here to determine the ratios of masses, and the surface areas of parts grow by 2^2 = 4 when you double the part size.

Of course if you simply double the mass of the 4m parts you might get some angry customers. But if you cut the 2m parts masses in half they might become unrealistically light (which they may in fact already be).

There's not many stock parts to compare yours to. Just some pods, the hitchhiker module, and empty gas tanks I guess.

As a compromise between the 2 extremes, for example, if parts were 2 and 4 tonnes you could change them to 1.5 and 6.

If parts were 3 and 6 tonnes you could change them to 2 and 8.

And so on.

I hope you appreciate this input. I went into a lot more detail than I intended. Keep up the excellent work.

P.S. When I try to put a floor (made of plugs) into your "frame hubs" I cannot make the plugs flush with the floor level. Exception: see (*)

It takes exactly 2.5 2m plugs to plug up a 2m hole in the wall of a 2m part such that both inner and outer sides are flush.

It takes exactly 2.5 4m plugs to plug up a 4m hole in the wall of a 4m part such that both inner and outer sides are flush.

(*) It takes exactly FIVE 2m plugs to plug up a 2m hole in the wall of a 4m part such that both inner and outer sides are flush.

If you made your plugs 25% thicker, you could have flush walls and floors with 2 (or 4) plugs.

Edited by Gus

I hope you appreciate this input. I went into a lot more detail than I intended. Keep up the excellent work.

Constructive criticism is a rare thing, doubly so on the internet. I definitely appreciate the input.

The .cfg files are definitely lazily done and need some work all around. I agree with your 4x logic, and when building a similar sized cavity out of stock parts a 2m hallway comes out to be roughly 2.85 tons. I'm assuming that a prefabricated structure could manage to be substantially lighter, and was originally aiming to have my parts be about 60-75% of the weight of patchwork vanilla parts. The assorted connector pieces all remain the same value because I lazily decided that reinforcing for a connection would compensate for the missing wall & making the connectors varying weights would make CoM management more difficult if someone wanted to do asymmetric craft. On top of this I'd like to keep it feasible for players to launch HSH based craft by traditional methods w/o being forced to resort to HyperEdit.

Currently I'm thinking I will move the 2m frames down to 1.5 tons, and then up the 4m to 6 tons as you suggested. The plugs will also be modified as there's no reason not to. Also I redid the 2m Crew Deck model again, as I couldn't get the hatch to work consistently. Very strange. Expect these changes before the weekend. Also I've been working on built in animated lander legs. They are a bit more complicated than normal stuff.

A thorough review of all the .cfg values is due. Unfortunately I still have more parts I'd like to get released so I easily get distracted.

I've PM'd the people w/ problems, so check your inbox!

Lastly, a big thank you to everyone for their support. I appreciate it a great deal.

Constructive criticism is a rare thing, doubly so on the internet. I definitely appreciate the input.

Also I redid the 2m Crew Deck model again, as I couldn't get the hatch to work consistently.

Glad to be helpful. I must say that the offset hallway of the new 2m Crew Deck does look a little awkward. I would like to see your old version reworked into storage and/or instrument panels on either side of the old central corridor. Also, the new 4m crew deck is fine for orbital stations.

[EDIT, I NO LONGER BELIEVE THIS PART: ... but not very practical for a planetary/moon base. You might want to look into this.]

Edited by Gus

There are some built in ladders, although I could probably stand to add some more.

Forget my criticism, the 4m crew deck, if laid horizontally, can be imagined to have internal stairs to access the "2nd floor". All is well.

Oh god, I didn't see this mod! I have started making a Skylab looking mod veeery similar to this. It is a 6 meter diameter modular hull that can be branched into 4 quarter-pieces and each can be used for a specific purpose. I initially wanted to make just a way to store lots of fuel or spherified tanks, but then it grew into a modular system with hatches and an airlock

here you can see the hull with one quarter taken out, and cargo holds exposed. With one quarter exposed you are able to go into the central shaft and enter the space inside

0c141OOl.jpg

AMudjZzl.jpg

do you have a download for this?