[0.23.5] Hollow Structures & Hulls (Updated: 2014-04-09)

Alskari

Obviously this mod is out of date. I am very slowly working through getting these parts properly done since they were all made before any economic stuff was implemented. I'm not giving any concrete dates. My work has picked up greatly and it generally seems that I'm only going to be able to mess with this stuff one week a month.

Hello! I made this mod with the intent of allowing an 'internal EVA' playstyle. These parts aren't really meant to be practical, but instead are for a different kind of challenge. While I use some sci-fi inspirations I do not aim to recreate any historical or fictional ships or stations. All of my stuff is made up by me. (Visually, others have contributed general ideas and .cfg work)

Whenever you CHANGE ANYTHING in your 'GameData' folder make sure to copy your 'Saves' folder to your desktop so that you do not risk losing progress.

CHANGE ANYTHING includes but is not limited to installing mods, updating mods, or making manual edits to files.

If you are familiar with modding KSP feel free to disregard this.

SpacePort Link - Cubic Series : Last Updated 2014/04/09

Required Downloads:

AdvancedAnimator : Currently included in the Spaceport download.

RasterPropMonitor

Hyomoto's MFD

Additional Downloads:

Hulls : An amalgam of structures conveniently smashed into a single part. Currently only one hull.

Ultralight Series (HSH-V8.3) : The old rectangular octagon style with newer models and textures.

Ultralight Adapters : For use with Cubic Series. Designed for those who want it all.

Legacy Series (HSH-V7.3) : No longer maintained. The original style. (gross)

Mod Starter Downloads:

Custom Rooms : See this post for more info.

Hull Starter Kit : See this post for more info.

Known Issues & Requests:

_

• IVA Orientation. This is a bug from the sfr code. I am making progress towards a solution, but I do not have one yet. One part can still have the correct orientation, so consider making a cockpit the root part for your vessel.
    _
  • Some of the connector sections will not attach for certain nodes. This is due to the fact that KSP only allows for two root nodes. Try attaching them at a different geometry. For now there is not a good way to work around this, other than to make multiple parts with re-ordered nodes. Which would be horribly messy.
    _
  • Nodes disappearing in the VAB. I have no idea what this is and it has been reported in other mods as well.
    _
  • LAG! For the time being, do not place more than a few cockpits with the MFD display on the same vessel. This will cause some severe lag. Consider also modifying the ExampleMFD config to lower refresh rates.
    _
  • Gravity has been mentioned by several people. I will be looking into it after I solve the IVA issues. Anyone who is interested in trying to tackle this issue is welcome to contact me. This mod will allow kerbals to walk on parts that are in a gravity field but not landed. Buggy, and needing a new home.
    _
  • I also plan on making an inset door for more convenient use. More hulls and stations are on the way as well.
    _
  • No research integration. (Interested parties please contact me)
    _
  • Poor textures. (Texture artists welcome)

Special thanks to these users:

• Gus - .cfg weight balancing in the Ultralight Series
  • Kreuzung - Allowed the use of the VanguardTechnologies plugin. Not specifically affiliated with this mod.
  • sfr - Code for the drawing of kerbals in IVA state.
  • Mihara - RasterPropMonitor sexiness.
  • Hyomoto - The wonderful RPM-MFD which I have lazily used in my cockpits.
  • stupid_chris - The AdvancedAnimator

Artists with work in the Habitation Cube or the Custom Rooms download:

• Dungchunker - Jeb on the Mun
  • Blue - KCFS Poster
  • EarthLight - Duna Poster

Thank you as well to all my testers over the past year (holy crap I'm slow at this): Gus, cttw, dommcq, hydran101, klgraham1013, likke_A_boss, nianor

QVvXyrO.png

Example Pictures of the Cubic Series:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

not-a-cylon's Fantastic Creations:

Example Pictures of the Ultralight and Legacy Series: Thanks to users ahappydude, Eskandare, & Gus

Do not distribute derivatives without my permission, feel free to modify parts for personal use.

btn_donateCC_LG.gif

Donating entitles you to nothing. Any donation will only go to Alskari who will then squander it on something unrelated to HSH. However appreciation is appreciated, and subsequently causes Alskari to feel guilty about neglecting the mod.

Edited by Alskari
Update

Welcome back! The new parts looking ace, i would recomend trying http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/25695-Sea-Sickness-Cure-walking-on-floating-vessels with your hulls ;) Worked great for my iva stuff

Wow , you got so many parts in progress sweetbeans^^ Consoles could use snjos monitor and flight data , http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/ioncross-crew-support-plugin/ can be used to giving life components to the differents part, ex an mini garden could give oxygen . Hmm ghinking about the style of chairs, more kerbal or more nasa?

Just got an another idea haha, how about making blinds and bay windows? Would be a nice effect when say you have just one light inside and open up the blinds and let the sun in haha cheers

Edited by ahappydude

Oh god, I didn't see this mod! I have started making a Skylab looking mod veeery similar to this. It is a 6 meter diameter modular hull that can be branched into 4 quarter-pieces and each can be used for a specific purpose. I initially wanted to make just a way to store lots of fuel or spherified tanks, but then it grew into a modular system with hatches and an airlock

here you can see the hull with one quarter taken out, and cargo holds exposed. With one quarter exposed you are able to go into the central shaft and enter the space inside

0c141OOl.jpg

AMudjZzl.jpg

Edited by nothke

Looks nice! My older stuff is a bit hideous, as it is the first mod I've ever made. I like your mesh floor/ceiling. Could I steal the texture file for that?

If you don't mind I'd like to make an adapter to transition between your parts and mine. What are the relevant dimensions?

I agree, nice touch on the floor and ceiling (Y) Can you decouple those branches? How big is the inside? Would be cool using the same dimension, then we could make corridors and such for transport between ^^

Assembling_the_Skylab_Orbital_Workshop_7014162.jpg

Skylab is my reference so I'm using a similar triangular mesh they've used. (in these images it's an old hex mesh texture) Except their middle shaft is hexagonal and matches triangles perfectly. Since my hull branches into quarters, a hexagonal shaft couldn't match on all sides, so I had to make it octagonal =(

I have made a micro meteoroid shield, that's why the hull has 2 layers, so that Kerbals are protected inside =) There is about 5m diameter space inside.

I am using the mesh part as a quad-coupler so I switch from full hull to quarter hull system (textures far from final)

FBhAKdyl.png?1

The inside of the airlock features a door, again a reference to Skylab rooms. But it you can see that both doors are open unrealistically, I was intending ingame to make it so that one door is open at a time, when pressurized, the inside is open, when unpressurized, the inside closes, you wait for pressure to drop and after that the outside opens. So the both doors are never open at the same time. So if Kerbals want to get in-out, they have to squeeze inside first =)

RA0yeEml.png?1

4442656721_93c603a156.jpg

Edited by nothke

Very impressive work:)Does thepart works from eva to? Hm i never heard of skylab before but i would like to own one myself now haha. If you make the floor and walls separate parts then we could build three and four stories high base/station/ hehe cheers

I agree, nice touch on the floor and ceiling (Y) Can you decouple those branches? How big is the inside? Would be cool using the same dimension, then we could make corridors and such for transport between ^^

The diameter right now is exactly 5m (in 1.25 rescale), but I will probably change it to 5m (1.0 rescale) so it could match the "Kerbal standard" and NovaPunch 5m parts. Except 1.0 rescale is smaller, and it's really nice to have them bigger =) so I am not sure which size they will be at the end, so don't plan anything yet xD The other thing is that this project stalled cause I am doing KASPAR right now.

Very impressive work:)Does thepart works from eva to? Hm i never heard of skylab before but i would like to own one myself now haha. If you make the floor and walls separate parts then we could build three and four stories high base/station/ hehe cheers

NEVER HEARD OF SKYLAB?? The biggest single-piece space station there was?? It's time to google and youtube something ahappydude =)

And yes, you can make it as long as you want, it's fully modular (you can see a hitchhiker on the end here, I was using it as an inside room xD)

0AzkkHsl.jpg

Edited by nothke

I have made a micro meteoroid shield, that's why the hull has 2 layers, so that Kerbals are protected inside =) There is about 5m diameter space inside.

I am using the mesh part as a quad-coupler so I switch from full hull to quarter hull system (textures far from final)

FBhAKdyl.png?1

I like the micro meteoroid shield. Most of my parts are meant to be structural and at some point I (later) will probably add some shell/shield type parts, both to seem functional and help match stock & other mods visually.

Beware the quad coupler method. It will work beautifully for stations and such, but is prone to wackyness when used for ships. Node placement will help you a lot when it comes to bending.

You textures are already much sexier than what I plan on producing, so don't worry too much about that.

7t4YC3L.png

s9VObGB.png

I only created one of the floors and half a wall as I intend on just mirroring everything over in Unity.

This is pretty much the last of the modeling I'm going to do for now. Next up is splitting everything into bits for collision meshing, texturing, and assembly in Unity.

• 3 weeks later...

Jeez man, these look awesome! looking forwards to these!

I do have one request though; could you do a "Drop Pod" like the one Bobcat had for the RAT DEMV? either that or a smaller, Personnel pod? I'd have a fun old time simulating a crashing ship and seeing if I can get all my kerbalnauts to their seats before the ship or station breaks up entirely!

Just saw your update on spaceport , congrats on this update dude! This is still my most played basepack, haha i still have alot of screenshots taken as you remember ;) If you like basebuilding in ksp you will love this pack (Y) New style reminds me of homeworld which is a plus.

Btw your old parts still works after putting the prefix in the cfg files, and as you could then with squid plugin from hooligan you can still now have magnetic floors =)

Just saw your update on spaceport , congrats on this update dude! This is still my most played basepack, haha i still have alot of screenshots taken as you remember ;) If you like basebuilding in ksp you will love this pack (Y) New style reminds me of homeworld which is a plus.

Btw your old parts still works after putting the prefix in the cfg files, and as you could then with squid plugin from hooligan you can still now have magnetic floors =)

I updated the old .cfg files and tweaked the Remora so it should be less deadly. I'll put all that in under a 'Legacy' this weekend sometime. It's been such a long time since I released anything I sorta wanted to put my best stuff forward first, since most of these people probably don't know about the old parts. I also have a number of new station pieces, but I'm still not satisfied with the hull sections yet and want to knock those out first.

PS- Link me some of your seats if you don't mind, variety is the spice of KSP. ;D

Think you could do a white/red colour theme for these, kinda-Kerbal style?

I originally chose the greys to match the stock I-beams. The blue was just an impulse addition. Some of my parts would be easier to change over than others. All of my texture files are .png, so they should be easily editable if you care to try it out. I'd be glad to see what you come up with.